Cindy Kirk
Cindy Kirk

Jaunty Post

pom

I don’t know about you, but I love animals in books.  I remember reading Janet Evanovitch’s Stephanie Plum series and being concerned in one book that the bad guy was going to kill off her hamster, Rex.   I’ve been reading a lot of JD Robb’s In Death series and Eve’s cat, Galihad, has come close to disaster a time or two.  I have to say that if either of these authors would have killed off the hamster or the cat, I don’t think I could continue reading.

You read a lot about an author’s “promise” to a reader.  In romance, it’s to deliver a happily-ever-after at the end of the book.  I say, if you put an animal in a book, your promise should be not to seriously injure or kill the animal.

In my first two books out this spring, dogs play a part in each book.  “Puffy” (see above) is Betsy’s dog in His Valentine Bride.  In my book currently out…The Doctor and Mr. Right, the heroine Michelle has a Golden Retriever “Sasha.”

I love including animals because I believe how people respond to cats and dogs and rabbits and hamsters etc. tells a lot about them.

The same way, I believe that seriousness with which a person takes their parenting duties says a lot.  In The Doctor and Mr. Right, Gabe was a teenage father who has raised his 13 year-old daughter by himself and has done a great job.  How can you not find a guy like that attractive?

Anyway, back to the animals.

Tell me about an animal you enjoyed reading about in a book, and I’ll enter you into a drawing to win a copy of The Doctor and Mr. Right!

The Doctor and Mr. Right cover

Remember to check back on Sunday, around 2, to see if you’re a winner!

36 thoughts on “Animals in books

1. I always love reading about animals in books. I’m trying to think of one of my favorite animals in books but its hard to name just one. :)

2. Laurie G says:

LASSIE is the first animal book that comes to my mind.
    I loved the TV show.

We didn’t get a regular collie. We had a Shetland sheepdog. My neighbors across the street had a collie named Duffy. My cousins had a collie named Sudsy.

Wonderful memories.

3. Liz says:

My dog has an eye on the computer, making sure I type “dog” and applauding your choice of dogs for your Spring releases. James Herriot’s Favourite Dog Stories is a particular favorite of hers.

Liz,

In my house it’s my cat who always has his eye on the computer. :)

4. CateS says:

I’ve loved all the James Herriot’s books.. all those lovely animals..

1. Cindy Kirk Cindy Kirk says:

Another endorsement of Herriot’s books. I’m going to definitely have to check his books out!

I love Rex in Evanovich’s books too. I don’t like animals that have too much of a role in a book because they don’t act like real animals. So like a cat that helps solve a murder–hmmm…I’ve had a lot of cats. They pretty much just help themselves to any food I leave out.

Shana,

Let face it…cats do pretty much whatever they want…except solve a murder. lol

6. Kathryn in Montreal says:

I loved Coco in Kristan’s My One and Only… Rex the hamster is a favourite too… and I just read a Robert B. Parker book with a stray cat that adopts Jesse Stone and I thought the author got the sense of a cat beautifully (but I also love his Pearl the wonder dog). I totally agree with Shana – the animal characters have to be realistic and true to their form.

1. Cindy Kirk Cindy Kirk says:

I’ve never read Robert B Parker…but I love JD Robb’s books so much and I think his are similar that I’m going to give his books a try. And…while I’m at it, check out how he handles the cat…which we all know are hard to handle. lol

1. Kathryn in Montreal says:

Parker’s Sunny Randall series also has a dog in it… Rosie. I really enjoy his books, especially this series — maybe the female lead, maybe the dog…

7. Kathleen OD says:

I love all the animals in any Kristan Higgins books.. But I think the one book I loved was Marley and Me…

1. Cindy Kirk Cindy Kirk says:

I’ve heard about Marley and Me…but doesn’t the dog die???

8. eap says:

Bea’s hedgehog in Love in the Afternoon by Lisa Kleypas

1. Cindy Kirk Cindy Kirk says:

OMG…a hedgehog. Never, never would of thought of that animal. I don’t think I’ve ever seen one (in real life)

9. Rebe says:

I still can’t re-read Kristan Higgins’ Catch of the Day because I bawled when you-know-what happened to a certain canine companion. BAWLED!!!

I also like Getting Rid of Bradley and What the Lady Wants by Jennifer Crusie – so funny and LOTS of dogs!

1. Cindy Kirk Cindy Kirk says:

Oh no, please tell me my fellow Jaunty Kristan didn’t kill off a dog….

10. Deb says:

Lassie was a good show. 101 Dalmations was a cute movie. I also enjoyed reading James Herriot’s books because I also enjoyed watching the show “All Creatures Great and Small”. As for books….I can think of 2 stories, but, for the life of me, I can’t remember authors or titles or even character names. The one story had a scene in which the hero offered to walk the heroine’s huge dog and ended up having the dog walk, or rather run, him right into a fountain; the Serpentine in London. The other is about a girl who had a spider monkey and if the monkey liked a guy, then she knew he was okay to date.

1. Cindy Kirk Cindy Kirk says:

Can you believe I’ve never read any of James Herriot’s books?? I’m putting him on my list of author’s to read.

1. Kathryn in Montreal says:

Loved Herriott’s books… and they used some of the stories in them to make some exceptional, well-illustrated children’s stories — Moses the Kitten was my favourite.

11. Melody May says:

Love animals in a story. They are just so much fun. One of the books I read had a pet fox, a fox. It was a lot of fun.

1. Cindy Kirk Cindy Kirk says:

Wow, a fox would be interesting. We live in the country and I see them occasionally….so pretty.

Dodger from Lisa Kleypas’ Hathaway series

1. Cindy Kirk Cindy Kirk says:

I love Lisa Kleypas’ books…but I haven’t read the Hathaway series. Thanks fro the tip!

13. Marcy Shuler says:

I just finished HIS VALENTINE BRIDE and loved Puffy. ;)

I love the Animal Magnetism series of books by Jill Shalvis that each include animals. The books feature a pet rescue center, a vet clinic, and search and rescue dog training.

Marcy,

I’m so glad you liked Puffy…I did too!

Puffy returns again in The Doctor and Mr. Right!

14. JenfromTexas says:

One of my favorite books is A Dog’s Purpose, by W. Bruce Cameron. Love, love, love that book. It’s ‘voice’ is a dog, who talks to us throughout the book, as he goes through several stages to find his life’s purpose — and that’s as far as I’m going with the explanation, because there is no way I’m spoiling this book for anyone who hasn’t read it yet. :)

1. Cindy Kirk Cindy Kirk says:

Growing up I LOVED books from the animal’s point of view so I’m sure I’d love this book!

15. CrystalGB says:

I like animals in books. They add to the story.

Crystal,

I couldn’t agree more!

16. Rhonda says:

I also liked dodger in the Hathaway series by Lisa Kleypas. I loved when he stowed away in Catherine’s bag and then snuck out while they were in a carriage and he stole the artificial fruit off the Aristocrat woman’s hat! Very comical!

17. Cindy Kirk Cindy Kirk says:

Rhonda,

I am definitely going to check out that series!

18. Listen. Colonel was old, and he had a good life and a good end. I cried like a baby writing that scene.

1. Cindy Kirk Cindy Kirk says:

If anyone could pull off such a scene it would be you, Kristan!

19. Vickie P says:

I recently read Suspect, by Robert Crais, about a policeman and a dog who both had PTSD–the cop after being shot, and the dog after serving in Afghanistan. What a great story! I basically read the book in one day! Hoping Mr. Crais writes more books about this special team!

20. Cindy Kirk Cindy Kirk says:

Sounds like a fabulous book, Vickie. Can’t wait to check it out!