IMG_6315Yesterday my daughter turned 21. I can’t say that I greeted the news with joy since I do still wish she was at home with me instead of going to college, but since I whined a lot about my son turning 16 just a little over a month ago, I thought I’d take this chance to say all of the great things about being Courtney’s mom.

The first is that I insisted she call me every day when she first went to college. She complained and threatened but eventually (when I reminded her I pay her cell phone bill) gave in. At first our conversations were a little bit me trying to get every detail of her life and her being a bit bratty (the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree) and giving me one word answers. But over time that ended and we have really great conversations now.

We talk about books and movies and current events. We share our opinions and outlooks on things and I love how well-thought out her opinions are. She doesn’t just follow my lead like she used to when she was home but has formed her own viewpoint and I find it is one I really respect.

We dish on Hollywood hotties and have agreed not to mention that some are too young for me and others are too old for her. I mean come, on, surely Robert Downey Jr. is firmly mine and I guess she can have…Chris Hemsworth…no, she can’t have him. :)

The best part of these daily conversations is that it clearly demonstrates to me that she has ‘turned out’ (always hated that phrase when I was growing up…I’m not a coat) okay. More than okay, she’s great. And as her mom I couldn’t ask for more.

Today I want to know about you and your relationships…have you had one change on you? I can remember when my mom and I became friends more than mother and daughter as I am now with my Courtney.

I’m giving away a digital copy of Sizzle my latest release from Harlequin Blaze to three random drawn blog participants.

Kathy

9 thoughts on “Courtney’s Mom

1. Tania says:

Kathy,
    I enjoyed the copy of Sizzle that you gave me last week. I believe I finished it in one day, if not one sitting! I don’t need to win another copy, but I, too, have college-age kids. Both of mine are boys (22 & almost 20). They both changed (turned on me?) at about 17 1/2. I am happy to say that young men become tolerable again at about 20-21. I have a great time with my oldest son once again & there is light at the end of the tunnel with my “baby”! When mine left for college, my life got so much more relaxed & fun that I was the opposite of you. I did not want daily conversations! I needed a break & so did they. Now that they are on their own (except for bill paying), they appreciate the life we provided them at home and they are much nicer to me. When they left, I loved the idea that they were going to learn that the Toilet Paper Fairy did not truly exist. Neither does the Laundry Fairy or the Grocery Fairy! Now that its been a year or two since I did their laundry & shopping, they realize how fortunate they were to have me AND I realize how fortunate I am to have them. They are “turning out” to be young men that I am very proud to call mine!

I just love that my daughter is now 3.5. We can have conversations! Granted, they are about whether or not Cinderella has to hold her dress up when she goes to the potty, but I am sure they will evolve. It’s so interesting to see what she thinks about and what she is learning. I’m really looking forward to watching her grow up. I’m not ready for her to be 21, but I do see the value and fun in the evolving relationship between parent and child.

3. Rhonda says:

My son is 19 and although I miss being “mommy” to my little boy, I enjoy having insightful conversations with the man my son has become. He is very respectful and still texts me goodnight or that he loves me.
    I would love a copy of sizzle!

4. You could have Robert Downey Jr. , but he’s mine. Maybe we could work out a sharing system? Seriously, I love the relationship you have with Courtney. You already know this, but it reminds me of my relationship with my daughter. The mother-daughter bond is so special, isn’t it? Happy birthday to C, and happy day to you, birthday mom! I firmly believe a child’s birthday is as much a celebration for the mom as it is for the child…no matter how old they get.

5. Timitra says:

I enjoyed reading this post especially the part about Robert Downey Jr and Chris Hemsworth…both so hot!

6. Melody May says:

When I got married and moved away my mom & I’s relationship was better. A lot has to do with the distance made us appreciate each other better.

7. Lorelei says:

Hope Courtney had a fabulous birthday! Like Nancy and my grandmother say, a happy day to the birthday mom as well.
    With boys I think it’s a little different than girls, my 23yo boy rarely calls, (he lives close) but I prefer he take the initiative to connect since I was the one to always hover, so now he has his space and I want him to mold to his new responsibilities since he learned there are no fairies as Tania mentioned. He is in charge now and it’s really nice when he stops by and calls without being expected to. My girl lives 2 rooms down (lives home) but spends most of the time in college, we do call and our conversations are great, there is always a special bond with daughters. I hope it’ll be the same when she has to move to go to medical school. I will miss her. I still have a teen boy as well, so he will keep me company or drive me crazy, doesn’t matter ;-)

8. Kathryn in Montreal says:

I love having adult kids (20, 21, 24, 26) but I have to say I enjoyed all ages with them and I only have my 20 year old daughter left at home and I really miss having a full house. Conversations and adult stuff are great now, but they made me laugh so much when they were young and having a six year age span meant that there were all kinds of different developmental things going on. My son is the oldest and then I have three daughters and I am so thrilled with the people they have grown up to be.

9. Terri Brisbin says:

Kathy -

I have three sons and find I do not like that they are grown up one bit! LOL! Daughters really do seem to keep in touch with their mothers but sons, well, they are a different lots totally!