ECover-TheGentlemanThiefWe’re all readers here at the Jaunty Quills and I thought it might be fun to geek out today and chat about some books we’ve read recently. So answer the following questions and let’s chat. I’ll pick two commenters to win a copy of my novella, Her Gentleman Thief.

What’s the best book you’ve read recently? For me, it would have to be our own JQ, Kristan Higgins, Catch of the Day. It was just delightful with a heroine I could relate to (in so many ways) and a hero I wanted to spend a lot of alone time with….

What’s your favorite book series? Is it stupid for me to comment that this is a hard question? Don’t answer that. I can’t not mention Harry Potter or the Hunger Games, but I’m going to disqualify those and make myself pick a romance series, I’d have to say it’s a toss up between JD Robb’s In Death series and Suzanne Enoch’s Lessons in Love.

What does a book have to have to make it on your keeper shelf? I have to not only love the book and the story, but both characters. There have been plenty of books I’ve read where I’ve really loved either the hero or the heroine but not both, but to be a keeper, it’s got to be 100% love fest.

What’s the saddest book you’ve read? I don’t generally pick sad books because I don’t like to deal with much angst when it comes to my reading material, I remember I read a book (many years ago) called The Marriage Bed by Stephanie Mittman and I sobbed through the whole book.

Who is your go-to author when you need to fall into a book and you know they won’t fail to satisfy you with a great story? Suzanne Enoch or JD Robb

So how about you? Let’s talk books and you might win a free one for yourself!

21 thoughts on “Let’s talk books

1. Melody May says:

I loved Temptation by Kathryn Barrett. Super good.
    The Pink Carnationseries by Laura Willig and The Lord of Vices by Alexandra Hawkins
    I will pretty much keep anything on the shelf just as long as I didn’t hate the story. I’m easy to please.
    Almost A Family by Stephanie Bond. Oh my gosh talk about getting your heart ripped out, but so good.
    I love going to Ava Stone, Sarah Maclean, Shana Galen, Alexandra Hawkins, oh my I can go on forever.

Outpost by Ann Aguirre was really good.

In Death by JD Robb

I have to not want it to end and I have to think about the characters again and again even when I’ve long since finished the book.

A Thousand Splendid Suns (I think that’s the title by the guy who wrote the Kite Runner). So depressing, but it was good and I finished it.

3. Laurie G says:

Best Book Alexandra Hawkins

Favorite series- Jillian Hunter’s Boscastle family series
    also Alexandra Hawkins time od day series

Keeper shelf -Humor and characters that I can relate to and love. A storyline that’s a little bit different.

Saddest book- Elizabeth Lowell’s books make me cry: A Woman Without Lies ( The scene near the end where Hawk sees the stained glass portrait with the Hawk with the blood red tear dripping down), Eden Burning Where she still loves the volcanologist even though his actions cause her grief, Untamed ( The scene where she nurses him back to health one drop of water at a time) These passages in each book made me cry!

Go to author- Jill Shalvis

1. Me too on Elizabeth Lowell. I loved the whole series with Untamed. Those are on my keeper shelf because they made me laugh and cry and continue to do so every time I read them.

4. Kathryn in Montreal says:

I’ve read two books recently that I really enjoyed: A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness and The Good Daughter by Jane Porter… as we speak Kristan Higgins’ newest release is winging its way to me via Chapters.ca and I am looking forward to that!

Favourite series? Harry Potter, Julia Quinn’s Bridgerton series, Nora Roberts’ Three Sisters Island and In the Garden trilogies, Sue Grafton’s Kinsey Millhone series… I could go on and on here!

To make it to my keeper shelf the story has to grab me, entertain me, leave me wanting more.

Saddest books… I don’t generally read books that make me sad, but I do like Jodi Picoult’s work even though the stories aren’t often happy stories…. 19 Minutes, Salem Falls…they are gripping, tough subject books that present another viewpoint and make me think.

Go to author? Ken Follett, Jane Porter, Agatha Christie, Sue Grafton, Janet Evanovich, Nora Roberts… I’m pretty sure if I pick up one of their books I am going to enjoy my read.

5. Sandi in OH says:

Best book recently read was The Best Man by Kristan Higgins and The Three Sisters by Susan Mallery.
    Best series would be Fools Gold by Susan Mallery and the In Death Series.
    Saddest would be Little Women by Alcott and Jim Brady’s Flag of Our Fathers about the raising of the flag in Iwo Jima.
    Go to authors would be Jill Shalvis and Susan Mallery.
    Keeper books draw me immediately into the story.

6. eap says:

Secret Admirer by Gail Satler
    The Byron family by Tracy Ann Warren
    Tapestry by Karen RANNEY
    Go to authors depends on mood

7. Maria P says:

My go to authors are Debbie Macomber, Susan Wiggs, & Sherryl Woods.
    For a book to be a keeper for me, it has to make me want to keep reading it even after it’s last line. The story has to take me in & make me want to become a part of it, & it should make me feel something.

8. Stefanie D says:

All books by J.R. Ward or Sabrina Jeffries.

I just finished A Breath of Scandal by Elizabeth Essex and enjoyed it very much.
    Jean Auel’s Earth’s Children series.
    I like to think they are all keepers!
    Romeo and Juliet.
    I just discovered Nora Roberts lol.

Love your cover!

10. Rebecca says:

I’ve read ur book

11. Oh Gosh – my memory is so terrible, I can’t think what my favorite series is. I did love the Wallflower books by Lisa Kleypas. And Eloisa James’s Scottish heiresses. I’m sure I’ve read some good ones since then, but .. ah, memory fails.
    Saddest book? I usually steer clear of those.
    The best book I’ve read lately is HARDBALL by VK Sykes, a husband/wife writing team. Extremely romantic, very sexy. Lots of fun.

Kristen Ashley’s Creed
    Gena Showalter’s lords of the underworld
    HEA, no cheating, one that I want to re-read again
    Lover awakened by JR Ward
    Lisa Kleypas

13. Terri Brisbin says:

Best book I’ve read lately? Can’t tell you because it was for a certain contest….but the other one was A DISCOVERY OF WITCHES by Deborah Harkness. It made me rush out and get the second book in the series.

Best series? Lara Adrian’s Midnight Breed series and Deborah Cooke’s Dragonfire series….

To be on my keeper shelf a book must usually make me cry. I love to cry while reading a romance so that will make it a keeper for me. I also collect some specific authors (Madeline Hunter, Lara Adrian, Gaelen Foley, etc).

Saddest book? Hmmmm. I think I read romances because I don’t like sad….emotional, yes, sad, no. I embarassed myself badly on an airplane reading an Anna Campbell historical….My Reckless Surrender.

Go-to authors? Madeline Hunter, Jo Beverley, Jill Barnett, Michelle Willingham, Margaret Mallory, Margo Maguire(!), Shana Galen (!) and a few others…. I guess I seek out historical romances when I need a comfort read!

1. Kathryn in Montreal says:

I have the second book on order too! And apparently the third will be out this fall!

14. Pam Glidden says:

The best book I’ve read recently was ‘Natalya’ by Cynthia Wright.

My favorite book series is The De Montforte Brothers by Danelle Harmon.

For a book to make it onto my keeper shelf, it has to be so good that I lose sleep because I can’t stand to put it down. I’ve been lucky enough lately to read several of those books!

I don’t like to read sad books. I search for books that entertain me and leave me feeling good….books that I can escape into. Consequently I cannot remember ever reading a sad book. If I have ever read one, it was not memorable to me.

I have a long list of go-to favorite authors! I recently realized that there were several author’s books that I had been enjoying recently, so I sat down with my Kindle and began a list of both the authors and the books I have enjoyed. That list has now expanded to over 2 pages! Terri Brisbin is one; others are: Cheryl Bolen, Claire Delacroix, Ava Stone, Annette Blair and many more!

15. Mia Marlowe says:

I know she’s been writing for years, but thanks to my book club, I just discovered Phillippa Gregory. I tore through The Other Boleyn Girl and had to go right out and buy The Boleyn Inheritance. I’m so thrilled Phillippa is prolific. I have hours of reading pleasure ahead!

16. Quilt Lady says:

I will have to go with Kaki Warner, Jill Shavis, Shana Gallen, Elizabeth Hoyt. I will say about any historical author, love historical.

17. Barbara Elness says:

The best book I’ve read recently is Moonshifted by Carrie Alexander.
    Favorite book series are Jennifer Estep’s Elemental Assassin and Eloisa James’ Desperate Duchesses.
    I’ll keep a book if it’s memorable, and has me thinking about it for days after finishing.
    I can’t think of a sad book because it’s been so many years since I’ve read one. I tend to keep away from sad stories.
    I have a lot of favorite authors, but the top two I’d list are Eloisa James and Jennifer Estep.

18. Marcy Shuler says:

What’s the best book you’ve read recently? One Good Earl Deserves A Lover by Sarah MacLean.

What’s your favorite book series? The Lucky Harbor books by Jill Shalvis or the Mackenzie books by Jennifer Ashley.

What does a book have to have to make it on your keeper shelf? It’s got to really touch my heart and have unusual/memorable characters.

What’s the saddest book you’ve read? Even though I loved it and in the end it was a happy book, I found The Best Man by Kristan Higgins to have some really sad parts. So sad that I didn’t see how she was going to make it end well. Thank goodness she’s such a great writer. :)

Who is your go-to author when you need to fall into a book and you know they won’t fail to satisfy you with a great story? Teresa Medeiros.

19. Laurie Evans says:

Yes, I loved The Other Boleyn Girl! I need to get more of those books. I also need to love everything about a book in order for it to be a keeper.