Margo Maguire

avon, Jaunty Post, Margo Maguire

Jerome Flynn, Matthew Macfadyen and Adam Rothenberg in Ripper Street.I am not much of a TV watcher, but I do have streaming video on my iPad, which is great when I’m riding my stationary bike every morning. I’ve caught up on a couple of movies I wanted to see but never got around to seeing, and now I’m watching some television programs I might never have noticed before.

One is Ripper Street. The series is set in London in the late 1880s and filmed in a way that’s reminiscent of the recent Sherlock Holmes movies with Jude Law and Robert Downey, Jr. The stories are brutal, just as you’d expect life in the east end of London, so the series is dark. But it stars Matthew MacFadyen, and who can resist his voice, his diction? And the episodes – even though they are seriously gritty, are compelling. It’s on BBC America, if you can get that channel. cn_image.size.mary matthew nursery wallpaper

Of course I’ve been watching Downton Abbey. But I had no idea what the finale was going to bring. I didn’t even notice the foreshadowing that everyone mentioned afterwards. I was disappointed that it ended the way it did, but I’m sure I’ll take my place in front of the TV when Season 4 begins next year.

I am a sucker for post-apocalyptic themes, and I have to admit I watch The Walking Dead. I almost quit after Season 2, because it seemed like nothing was happening, and I got a bit tired of the two lead men 268x210xrick-and-company-group-together_268x210.jpg.pagespeed.ic.HRyz8j5O56posturing with each other so much (who is tougher? who is manlier? who is in charge?) I wanted everybody to just grow up and be an adult. But Season 3 changed all that, much to my satisfaction. I’d like it if they did some “bigger” things – I’d like to know how the whole world is faring during this Zombie apocalypse.

I watched Once Upon a Time for a season or two, but then it started to bore me. Once the spell was broken and everyone knew who was who… well, I just lost interest. And that Mr. Gold character started to grate on my nerves, so I quit watching entirely, and deleted it from my DVR files.copper

Another really good one is Copper – the story of an Irish immigrant who is a policeman in 1860s New York City – the roughest part of town, of course. And, like Ripper Street, the episodes aren’t easy. The crimes – the victims and perpetrators – are all too real. You can easily 8141imagine how it was back in those days, when law and order meant the law of the streets.

Last, but not least is Grimm. This one grew on me slowly. I thought the first season was a little bit lame, but as they develop the overall story arc, it gets better and better. I’m antsy for the next season to begin.

What shows are on your list of things to watch? I’m going to pick one commenter and send her a copy of my most recent book, The Warrior Laird.

31 thoughts on “What Are You Watching?

1. Beebs says:

I thought Ripper Street was brilliant, hoping it returns for another series. :grin:

I’ve also been watching Mr Selfridge, loosely based on the story of Harry Selfridge and the opening his store on Oxford Street. Not sure if, or when it will air in America but it’s worth keeping an eye out for.

2. MJ says:

We don’t get BBC, but I love Downton and Walking Dead. I, too, am losing interest in OUAT. I love Castle and Arrow right now.

I’m just taking notes on everything you watch, Margo. The only thing I watch is Downton Abbey and once in a while I squeeze in an episode of Big Bang Theory or Modern Family. If the TV is on in my house, it’s sports or one of Baby Galen’s movies. I saw half of Lion King 1 1/2 yesterday. Yes, there is a sequel.

Looking forward to the day when I can catch Ripper Street and Copper. They sound really good.

4. Karen H in NC says:

I love Ripper Street and I can’t wait for new episodes of Copper to come out. DA is at the top of my Must Watch list and I also enjoy watching Justified (Timothy Olyphant and Walton Goggins are both so watchable!). I like The Americans, another one from FX and Continuum and Alphas, both from SyFy. Another new one that I like is Monday Mornings on TNT. And finally, theres Hell on Wheels, an outstanding program on AMC. Then there are network dramas to keep me occupied in between cable programming!

5. Kathleen OD says:

OMG I just caught up on the first three seasons of Downton Abbey and now I want season four to Now RIGHT NOW.. I am obsessed. Oh well I have lots of other shows to watch. Like Blue Bloods, CSI and CSI NY, and NCIS, have to get my fill of Mark Harmon… I love Big Bang and Anger Management.. I am watching American Idol, although I must admit not the best season for this show. And I do not miss an episode of Castle or Hawaii Five-0. Thank god I have PVR… I can’t watch many of these shows at the same time…

6. Beebs – Mr. Selfridge? I haven’t seen it, but I’ll keep an eye out. Sounds interesting!
    MJ – Right. I thought OUAT was very clever when it first came out. Then it started to bog down…
    Shana – Just forget about it for now. When Baby Galen is still young, there’s no time for TV. I don’t have much spare time even now – so DVR is my friend. :-)
    Karen – I’ll have to watch for some of the ones you mentioned. I’ve seen Justified, and liked it. The others… well, I’ll just have to record them and see.
    Kathleen – LOL. Downton Abbey is definitely addictive!

7. Cerian Halford says:

Downton Abbey is of course one of my favourites! I need to watch Ripper Street, I’ve only seen one episode. I can’t wait for Grimm to start up again, the wait has been killing me! I also love the Vampire Diaries, True Blood, Once Upon A Time, Game of Thrones (excited much for season 3!!) and Criminal Minds. I also really want to watch Mr. Selfridge but I just haven’t got around to it yet :)

8. Cerian – Hmm. I don’t know anything about the Vampire Diaries. It’s a series?
    I’ve been watching True Blood, too – but I think they went over the top in last season’s finale. Not sure I’ll pick it up again. I think I might have to try Game of Thrones again. Started it at the beginning, then found out about Sean Bean’s character, and couldn’t face it…

1. Cerian Halford says:

The Vampire Diaries is in its 4th season. Game of Thrones is so worth watching, got kind of obsessed very quickly lol

9. I think I must have heard of it – but it just slipped away from me!

10. Ann s. says:

I just got hooked on Downton Abbey recently and I love Once Upon a Time. I also love the Food Network, all that good food and some cute chefs.

11. Ann – I can’t believe you *just* got hooked on Downton! You held out a long time…

I try limiting my tv time and I have to pick and choose around schedules and my husband’s favorites too lol. Castle is a must. I’m trying out The Following and try to watch NCIS. What I hate the most is how they sometimes move shows around after you are hooked and the time slot doesn’t work for me. We watch a lot of the science and history channels lol.

1. I know – scheduling is impossible. Luckily, I have streaming Xfinity on my iPad and I do all my TV watching while I ride my stationary bike. (I ride a lot these days, lol!)

13. JenfromTexas says:

Once Upon A Time on ABC. Love that show, and my husband will even watch it with me. Irritated at all the breaks the show has been taking recently (it’s like they take 1 or 2 weeks off after every show), but love to see what Mr. Gold is up to. I even like Regina – she’s an exellent villian that we love to cheer for, almost, because it keeps things interesting. ;)

1. I like Regina, too. She’s quite the 3-dimensional villainess. But yeah – those breaks between shows! Argh! What are they thinking??

14. Barbara Elness says:

The only one I watch on your list is Grimm. But I have quite a few others I love, like White Collar, Castle, The Goodwife, Lost Girl, Touch and Continuum.

1. I can’t believe I don’t watch Castle. It seems like a show I would love, but for some reason, it just didn’t get on my radar until it was a couple of seasons in.

Watching Arrow and CSI

1. Arrow? I haven’t heard of it. (I’ll be doing some googling …)

16. Mozette says:

I love watching ‘Supernatural’… mmmmmm… those Winchester Brothers sure are a team! And I could take them both on :D but then, who couldn’t? But really, I’d take on Sam, he’s a babe!:D

1. Heh heh – WE all know what constitutes a good show. :-)

17. Marcy Shuler says:

Of the ones on your list, the only one I watch is Downton Abbey. And I just started watching that a few episodes before the end of this season. I was able to catch the episodes I missed but I then had to order the all three seasons on DVD. LOL Still haven’t watched them yet but am looking forward to having a marathon. :D

I love Big Bang Theory and Modern Family. So funny. And I’m sticking with Grey’s Anatomy, though it’s seemed to have veared off course this past season.

1. Everyone asks me about episodes of Grey’s Anatomy and ER – probably because I worked for so many years as an ICU nurse. But honestly, ER anyway, felt too close to being WORK!! I don’t think GA is as clinical as ER was, though. My sister recommended Big Bang Theory, and my husband’s brother said we should watch Modern Family. But we haven’t gotten around to either one! :-(

18. kristiana s says:

I rarely watching tv. But for weeks, i always watching Asia’s Next Top Model and X Factor Indonesia, every thursday night and every friday night :)

1. I know! Reality is big these days!

19. LilMissMolly says:

The only show you didn’t mention that I watch too is Castle. The chemistry between Beckett and Castle is just too hard to resist.

1. I might have to get the first season and catch up a little bit so I can watch newer episodes. I’m sure I would like it.

20. Melody May says:

I’m waiting for Game of Thrones. That’s pretty much all I watch.

1. I watched the first couple Games of Thrones episodes. And I liked them – sort of – but then I read that Sean Bean… well, you know (no spoilers here). So I had to quit watching. Maybe I can get over it and move on, lol.

21. Kathryn in Montreal says:

I love all these suggestions… a while back (18 months or so) someone blogged about British TV and I got Foyle’s War and Doc Martin out of it… both fabulous shows. Ripper Street and Copper sound interesting, so I’ll give them a try. I love Justified, Elementary, Necessary Roughness, Blue Bloods and my old standby CSI Las Vegas — and, of course, Downton Abbey!