Jaunty Guest

Jaunty Post

Bromances…ahhh, bromances.  Butch and Sundance.  Batman and Robin. Holmes and Watson.   The MacKades, the Quinns.  Into threesomes?   How about Kirk, Spock and Bones.   Yep, all bromances.

Tawny Weber Author Photo croppedI love romances (which I suppose is a given, since I’m a romance writer visiting  today on a site filled with awesome romance authors, right).   The give and take, the attraction and emotional growth, and the commitment that goes into seeing a relationship from spark to flame to burning embers – that’s a major part of what makes a romance so incredible to read.

But it’s also what makes a bromance awesome.   Whether it’s a hero’s best friend, a brother, or his comrade-in-arms—that kind of relationship adds so much to the story, to showing the depths of the hero’s character and really giving us a bigger picture of who he is.  I’m just as big a fan of BFF relationships and seeing the heroine through her bestie’s view.  But there’s something extra special about those hero connections.  Maybe because guy’s don’t seem to get quite as close as gals, or because as a rule, men aren’t quite as into the sharing of emotions as women *g * but I think those friendships add so much to a story.

A SEAL's SurrenderSince it’s something I love reading, it makes it an extra pleasure for me when I find a way to bring that same element into my own books.  The friendship between the heroes in my current books, Blake Landon in A SEAL’s Seduction (2/13) and Cade Sullivan in A SEAL’s Surrender (3/13) was the starting point of these stories.  In part, because I love writing friendships for all the reason’s I already listed *g * But also because the incident that motivates both heroes emotional journeys in their stories is a shared one.  Both Blake and Cade are Navy SEALs (the titles sort of give that away, right) who, along with their best buddy Phil, have all served together since their BUDs training days.    When Phil is killed on a mission, both men face questions about their career, their lives and their commitments.

Want a peek at these guys?  Here’s a little excerpt from the opening scene of A SEAL’s Seduction.

Cade Sullivan, Blake’s team commander and the third amigo, subtly came to attention.  With a quiet word and a brush of his hand over Mrs. Hawkins’ shoulder, he turned and strode across the lawn.

“Sir?”

“I’m assigning your men leave.”

Blake and Cade exchanged looks.  All it took was two seconds, a slight furrow of the brow and a shift of their shoulders to know both men were in perfect accord.  They didn’t want to go on leave.

“Sir?”

“Two weeks R&R, effective immediately.”

A SEAL's Seduction cover           For the second time since joining the Navy—and both in the space of the last few minutes—Blake wanted to protest an order.  He didn’t want time off.  He needed distraction.  Work.  A mission.  Preferably one that included blowing up large buildings and letting loose vast amounts of ammo.

Fury was like a storm, brewing and stewing inside him.

It needed an outlet.  The shooting range would work.  Or the base gym.

As if reading his thoughts, the Admiral inclined his head, offered a stern look and added, “You’ve just finished a tense mission, and lost one of your own.  I hope you have places off-base to stay, as I’ll be leaving word at the gate that you’re on inactive duty until September seventeenth.”

For a second, Cade’s usual charming façade cracked, the same anger Blake was dealing with showing in the other man’s vivid green eyes.  In an instant, it disappeared and his smile—the one that lulled friend and foe alike into thinking he was a nice guy—flashed.

“Looks like it’s time for a trip home.  My father will be thrilled.  Thank you, Sir.  I’m sure the team will be excited about the R&R.”

You had to admire Cade’s talent at lying.  The man had a way with sincerity, that, when added to that smile, was pure gold.  At least, it was if you weren’t the one he was conning.  The truth was, the team was going to be pissed, Cade hated visiting home and his father hated having him there.  Yet the guy still smiled like he’d just been pinned with the Congressional Medal of Honor.

That’s why Phil had always called Cade Slick.  Blake was Boy Scout.  By the book, a goody goody, his whole life was focused on being prepared.  On being the best SEAL he could be.  And Phil?  He’d been the Joker.  The last thing he’d said before that bomb had blown him in two?  Knock knock.

Knock knock.

Jaw clenched, Blake glared at the sleek black lines of the casket.

Now, it wouldn’t be a love story if they fixed all those problems, just the two of them over a bottle of beer and a pizza.  It takes two very special women to bring them around to not only face their loss, but to figure out where they want to go next.  But that core bromance, that friendship, does help along the way.  And, of course, it gives for some fun scenes and interaction between these two very strong, very sexy and very independent guys.

Bromances are like bad boys.  I love reading them, but I don’t have to have them in every book to make it a keeper.  But they are something that always makes me sigh and sink into the book just a little deeper.

How about you?  Are you a fan of bromances?  What are some of your favorites?

Tawny Weber has been writing sassy, sexy romances since her first Harlequin Blaze hit the shelves in 2007.  A fan of Johnny Depp, cupcakes and color coordination, she spends a lot of her time shopping for cute shoes, scrapbooking and hanging out on Facebook.

Readers can check out Tawny’s books at her website or join her Red Hot Readers Club for goodies like free reads, first chapter excerpts, recipes, insider story info and much more.  And for a limited time, she has a few open spots on her Street Team

37 thoughts on “Welcome, Tawny Weber!

Hey tawny! Welcome! I do enjoy it when the guys in a book have a good relationship. I think of Johanna Lindsey’s novels. The brothers are always fighting. I think Julie Garwood had some funny scenes between brothers and friends too.

1. Tawny says:

Hi Shana, and thank you so much for having me here today! I love Julie Garwoods portrayal of brothers and guy friends. Nora Roberts’, too. They are always so down to earth, realistic, yet make me smile.

2. Kathleen OD says:

This is why I love books about Military. They have them best Bromance scenarios. Growing up with four brothers I have seen a lot of Bromances over the years. I can’t wait to read this book..

HI Kathleen!! ;-)

Wow! 4 brothers? That is a lot of bromance exposure! And must have been so great to grow up with that much brotherly love :-D

The military heroes do seem to have a special bond, don’t they. Not quite brothers, but way more than friends. I adore writing military guys- they are just extra yummy.

3. JenfromTexas says:

Ok, I’m hooked! Thanks for the preview!

WOOOT! As they’d say in the military *g* Mission Accomplished, Jen :-D

4. A SEAL’s Surrender sounds great, Tawny! Looking forward to reading the rest. :-) Thanks for visiting with us today.

1. Tawny says:

Marge, thank you so much for the sweet words and for having me today. I am so glad you enjoyed the peek at my heroes :-)

5. Sandi in OH says:

I can’t wait to read the book. Thanks for telling us about it.

1. Tawny says:

HI Sandi, and thank you!!! I’m excited to share these stories, so loved a chance to offer up a peek. These heroes are so close to my heart, that it’s an extra thrill when readers enjoy them, too.

I can’t think of any at the moment but it’s something I would like and I really enjoyed your excerpt!

1. Tawny says:

Thanks!!! I’m so glad you enjoyed it.

7. Heidi U says:

I love bromances. I love connected books with strong male heroes who are primary characters in the book. What challenges do you find (if any) in writing military heroes?

1. Tawny says:

HI Heidi :-) I’m with you – strong male heroes are so sexy.

The biggest challenge I run into writing military heroes is making sure I have a solid handle on their military role. My husband is ex-military, so I have a really good consultant for the generalities. But the nitty gritty, the terminology for the various branches and the exact details are tougher.

8. Helen says:

Tawny

I too love the friendships of mates and the closeness between them it all adds to the wonderful romance between the hero and heroine.

I so loved Seal’s Seduction and Seal’s Surrender fantastic reads

Have Fun
    Helen

1. Tawny says:

HI Helen :-) I love that word ‘mates’. It’s awesome, and so Australian *g* It sums up bromance in a much stronger way that the word ‘friends’ does, too. I always fall a little more in love with a hero when I see his loyalty and commitment to his friends. Its like icing on a very yummy cake :-D

And thank you SOOO much for reading (and loving *g*) A SEAL’s Seduction and A SEAL’s Surrender!!!

9. Lorelei says:

Hi Tawny! It’s so good to see you here! I’m so looking forward to reading your books, I love military romances, and those are the ones I find that have the best bromances. Your excerpt is great, has me hooked! ;-)

1. Tawny says:

Hi Lorelei :-) It’s great to be here!

I’m with you, military heroes do have really awesome bromances going on. I’m so excited that you enjoyed the excerpt, too!

Yes, the BDB series

1. Tawny says:

I haven’t read them yet, but hear the BDB are absolutely fabulous :-)

11. Tawny, I loved A SEAL’s Seduction. Terrific book!

I always enjoy bromances. Guys let other guys they trust see vulnerabilities they hide from everyone else and often take special care to hide from women. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid are probably one of the most notable examples. Peter and Neal on White Collar would be another. The guys of Cindy Gerard’s Black Ops Inc. Or Jessica Andersen’s Nightkeepers. Han and Luke in Star Wars. Ryan and Esposito on Castle. Reaching back a way, Hawkeye and Trapper John on MASH. Clark Kent and Oliver Queen on Smallville. Holmes and Watson om Sherlock. Aragorn and Eomer in the book version of LOTR, a little riff I was sad to see leftbout if the films. And, of course, Legolas and Gimli. King Arthur and Lancelot. Robin Hood and Little John.

Hmm. I thought I was going to have trouble naming some.

1. Tawny says:

Wow! Nancy, you are rocking the Bromance list. That’s a fab lineup of hottie friends :-D I always give a happy giggle over Legolas and Gimli, and now I’m wanting a LOTR weekend. You can add Sam and Frodo to that list -talk about Bromance.

12. Renee Entress says:

Hi Tawny, My favorite ones are Breaking the Rules and A SEAL’s Seduction. Looking forward to reading A SEAL’s Surrender as soon as I get it.

Thanks for the great stories. Keep them coming!!!

1. Tawny says:

Aww, thanks, Renee :-) You rock!!!

I still love Breaking the Rules. Max is so fun, and that opening scene with the 6 foot marble penis makes me giggle. I guess it’s a good thing my writing amuses me, at least, right LOL.

I’m so glad you’re liking A SEAL’s Seduction!!! I hope you enjoy A SEAL’s Surrender as much :-)

13. Jo Robertson says:

Great blog, Tawny. I love bromances. There’s something so noble about men trusting each other. I’ve heard it said that you’re never so close to a man that you go into battle with.

I thought of JR Ward’s Black Dagger Brotherhood when you were talking about bromances! Those guys are really tight!

1. Tawny says:

Hey Jo :-D Thanks for coming by!!

You’re the second to mention the BDB today -I’m definitely going to have to read those! I’ve heard the same thing said about men and battle, and think there’s something about the day-in-day-out living together thing that builds a tighter bond as well.

14. Hi Tawny! Hi Jaunty! Hi Jaunty Q gals! Laughing – this relationship between the Romance Bandits and the JQs is becoming positively incestuous. We’re not having a bromance, we’re having a sisterhood! Shana, thank you for being such a fantastic guest in the lair yesterday.

I love a good bromance. I’m writing my first series and the heroes are all friends who have been through a traumatic time together – I’m having great fun writing the friendship scenes in the books!

1. Tawny says:

Foanna! Hey you :-) I love the sisterhood idea. And I am SO excited about your series. You write such delicious heroes, anyway. Its going to be even yummier reading heroes with their own bromances going on :-D

15. Marcy Shuler says:

Hi Tawny! I loved the excerpt and can’t wait to read the book.

Sarah MacLean has a 4 guys in her Rules of Scoundrels series that would fit in the bromance category: Bourne, Cross, Temple and Chase. Only the first two have books so far, but they’re all included in each book.

1. Marcy, did you get my message that you’d won the download of the Winter Wife on the Romance Bandits? http://www.romancebandits.com/chivalry-post-winner/

16. Tawny says:

Thanks,Marcy:-) YAY that the excerpt intrigued you into wanting to read the story! I’ll have to look at the Rules of Scoundrels books. I love it when a book includes multiple characters who will have their own story. It just pulls me into the world that much more.

17. Susan says:

Hey Tawny, Late to the party, as usual, but oh boy I do love me a bromance. Bring it, I’m all eyes for this read.

1. Tawny says:

You’re not late, Susan :-) I’m here as long as the ladies will have me, so we can party into the night.

LOL on bringing on the Bromance. Oh yeah, I’m with you!!!

18. Marcy Shuler says:

Anna Canpbell – Thanks for letting me know I won on the Romance Bandits blog. I emailed you. :)