Nancy and JenI’m writing to you today live from the Big Apple! I’m in New York and loving every second of it – despite the below freezing temperatures and the blisters on my feet… even though I’ve been to the city a number of times, I always feel compelled to trot around in shoes that aren’t very nice to my feet. You’d think I learn my lesson, right…?

Anyway, I digress – I’m in New York. It’s part business trip, part personal trip. In addition to having the pleasure of spending time with my lovely and talented editor, who is one of my favorite people in the world, my daughter is playing in a concert at Carnegie Hall!

This performance is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. I’m so proud of her and so happy that a lot of our family has come to New York to see the concert. So, as I try my best to strike a balance between on-the-ball professional and giddy mother – actually, my editor is a mother and completely understand how I’m feeling right now – but while I’m here will you please join in my happy celebration and share one of your own happiest or proudest moments?

It can be anything – about motherhood or another personal moment. Anything, as long as it’s happy. Since I’m away from my desk right now, I won’t be able to reply today. But is soon as I’m back, I’ll respond to each and every post. On Sunday, I’ll draw a winner and post the name. The prize will be something fun and special that I pick up here in the city.

I’m so looking forward to reading about your happy moments. Thanks for helping me celebrate this one!

15 thoughts on “How Do You Get To Carnegie Hall?

1. Maureen says:

Congratulations to your daughter, that is so exciting! I love walking around New York City, it has such a feeling of excitement in it. Our daughter is graduating from college this May so that is my happy celebration this year.

2. JenfromTexas says:

My kids are little, so our big proud moment is when our little boy, who is in Kindergarden, read aloud a book to his little sister for bedtime. She loved it, he was so proud!

3. ellie says:

Congratulations for your daughter’s accomplishment. Enjoy your time together. Happy times are wonderful. My son who became a physician and is a successful pediatrician made us so proud.

4. Since I have two kids, I have two moments, Nancy…when my son was in kindergarten, he heard about a natural disaster somewhere far away, and he took all his allowance (about $12) and gave it to the Red Cross. Without any prompting from us! His teacher took a picture of him dumping in all his one-dollar bills and change into the collection bowl. And my second was when my daughter shaved her head last year to raise money for research to end childhood cancer. She was 16 then, and had the most beautiful, shining long hair…and was even more beautiful bald.

I know you are so proud of your lovely daughter! Please tell her congratulations from all of us!!!

5. Anne says:

Congratulations on your daughter’s wonderful performance. Seeing our children do well is what matters in life. We take pride in this. My son’s both had babies this year, 7 weeks apart. We are in a new world now.

6. Kathleen OD says:

What a wonderful accomplishment for your Daughter and for you. Congrats to both of you.
    I am not a mother, but I am a proud Aunt and I am always so proud of all my many nieces and nephews. One of the most special moments in my life was when I held each of them for the first time… no better moments in time…

7. Sandi in OH says:

Congratulations to your daughter. Our grandniece is graduating from Eastman School of Music in May. We will be attending her graduation violin concert in April. That will be a proud moment. Our son and his family are adopting an 8 year old Haitian girl. Hopefully our new granddaughter will be here by the end of the year. Another proud moment.

8. eap says:

That first job offer

9. Kathryn in Montreal says:

With four kids I am happy (and so lucky) to say that there have been quite a few proud moments… one that leaps to mind recently is my son, who is non-athletic, training for, participating in and completing in a very good time 7.5k Spartan Race last summer. And he’s been bitten by the Spartan bug, with three races scheduled for this upcoming summer!

How fabulous! That must be so exciting. I think almost daily I’m thrilled by things my daughter does–she gets dressed by herself or shares really well or says excuse me. It’s wonderful to see our children coming into their own.

Congratulations to your daughter – that really is something!! My children’s accomplishments have always made me happier than anything that’s happened to me. My oldest received many scholastic awards and my youngest many artistic awards and they both received some for their work in an organization that did charity work. There’s nothing like being a proud mama :)

12. Melody May says:

How exciting. The proudest moment would be has been recent with my son saying more words. I was a little worry. I’m so excited to hear him say what and why, because its just so cute.

Congrats to your daughter! Happy to graduate from college

14. Kimh says:

Congrst that is great
    graduating coollege first on in the famly thanks

15. Lorelei says:

Congratulations to you and your talented beautiful daughter! Wow!
    My happiest moments personally: the first time I saw the faces of my 3 kids when they were born. Proudest moments: I’d say how great my kids are about helping others genuinely. My son became an electrical engineer, my girl is studying to become a doctor and the youngest in middle school (8th) will surpass the two. He wants his name on a banner at school, for getting Straight A’s throughout middle school. I don’t doubt it will happen. ;-)
    So happy for you!