JQ 1

As a special treat today, I asked some of the Quills about their most memorable Valentine’s Days. Here’s what they said:

Shana: When I was in high school, there was one Valentine’s Day that I didn’t have a boyfriend,ifyougivearake-300 and I felt so sorry for myself. I moped all day, didn’t get out of my pajamas, and didn’t put any make-up on or fix my hair. This was in the days of lots of make-up and big hair. My mom kept telling me to get dressed, but I was having a pity party. What I didn’t know was that a guy I’d dated a few times had called her and asked if it was okay if he stopped over and surprised me with flowers. He showed up, and I was so embarrassed. It was actually very sweet of him to bring me flowers but being all of sixteen I was too worried about how I looked to be as excited as I should have been.

JQ NancyNancy: I don’t know that I can single out one most romantic Valentine’s Day in particular. That’s because The Chef is a master at making all Valentine’s Days special and romantic. He never forgets and always brings me a dozen red roses, champagne and the perfect card. Usually, he gives me chocolates, depending on how loudly I’ve proclaimed I’m on a diet. Still, calorie counting or not, there’s always a fabulous meal: lobster or filet with cognac peppercorn sauce. Or Lobster AND filet with cognac peppercorn sauce…. One of the best touches is that he also gives our daughter flowers-a bouquet of pink carnations. There’s something extra romantic in him not only being a great husband, but also being such a wonderful father.

Kristan: My first Valentine’s Day out of college, I was alone in a new city, worked for povertyJQ Kristan wages and didn’t have too many friends. Boo hoo! Valentine’s Day with a guy? As probable as running into a Saudi prince at the pizza place on the corner. Imagine my surprise when a beautiful bouquet of flowers was delivered to work! “From your secret admirer,” the card said. I called my dad and thanked him. “I don’t know what you’re talking about,” he said, but I could tell he was smiling. He died that same year. I think of him every day, but I always smile on Valentine’s Day, remembering how dear old Dad made sure I got flowers from someone who loved me a whole heck of a lot.

Sizzle BlazeKathy: One of my favorite Valentine’s days was when my kids were about 8 and 13 and they got totally into the holiday picking out stuffed animals and chocolates for each other and my husband and I.  They even made Valentine’s for us from our dog.  It was such a fun time for us all.

Mia: This Valentine date was the first time I’d gone out with this red-headed guy I knew from church and it promised to be a lovely one. He took me to a dance at the Surf Ballroom, a place that epitomized romance in my little corner of the upper midwest. And I did enjoy the evening of dancing, but then he ran out of gas (Does anybody ever really do that?) on the way home (which was about 20 miles away).JQ Mia He had to hike back into town for a can of gas while I froze my tootsies in the cold car (February in Northern Iowa is no joke!) To make matters worse, we were cutting things close on my curfew. I’m a railroader’s daughter. At my house, not being on time was regarded as only slightly less heinous than becoming pregnant out of wedlock! I knew I was going to catch it when I got home.

However, my date was not in a hurry to let me out of the car once we got in my driveway. I managed to pull out of his grasp, but he tailed me to the pool of yellow light at my back door and forced a kiss on me. It was our first date and I really didn’t want to kiss him. I wanted to get inside so I could explain to my folks that it was not my fault I was seriously late. I JQ Cindyfinally told the guy I didn’t think things were going to work out between us and made a break for it. Then he stalked me for the next six months and made creepy phone calls.  So the moral of the story is…beware of red headed men!

Cindy: Worst Valentine’s Day? Most memorable Valentine’s Day? I racked my brains but couldn’t come up with anything. My husband and I have been together since high school. We’re the kind of couple who goes out the weekend before the big day, so we don’t have to fight the crowds. We buy the boxes of heart-shaped Valentine’s Day candy after the big day (when it hits 75% off  )because it’s a better deal. I’d call us practical. You might call us boring. But we’ve been together a
long time and hey, it works for us!securedownload

Robyn: Valentine’s Day is one of those I’ve had a love/hate relationship with. As a little girl, I loved it because my Daddy would give me sweet cards and my own (small) heart-shaped box of chocolates. I loved that. But with a series of disappointments through high school and college, I pretty much ignored the holiday for a few years. Then I met The Professor. Our first Valentine’s Day together was actually a month before we got married. I was trying to eat healthily so that I could fit into my wedding dress so he went to a gourmet chocolate shop here and bought me sugar-free candies. I thought that was so sweet and thoughtful. Every year he brings me a sweet card (that I know he spend so much time trying to find the perfect one) and WarriorLaird[1]roses. I know that might seem too traditional and not creative, but I love it!

Margo: The absolute best Valentine’s Day gift was from my mom. Our kids were about 2, 4 and 6, and Mom called and said she would take the kids overnight if we wanted to make reservations somewhere. Omg, it was hard to know what to do! Stay home and enjoy the peace and quiet? Go to a Red Wings hockey game, drink some beer and go home? (not)  When it came down to it, we went to a play, had a late, romantic dinner, and then stayed the night at the Ritz Hotel. In those days when it was non-stop kid stuff, that night out was absolutely heaven!

Do you have a Valentine’s Day memory that stands out? Tell us, and we’ll pick three random participants who will each receive a copy of one of our books. Come on – what was your most memorable (good or bad) Valentine’s Day?

29 thoughts on “Happy Valentine’s Day!

1. Jane says:

Happy Valentine’s Day. It’s never been a super special day for us, so I can’t say there was any spectacular V Day in memory. It’s usually just dinner and a movie.

2. Patti S. says:

I’ve been single for a long time and usually dread Valentine’s Day. The other day I was at my sister’s house and she was putting together gift bags for her daughter’s teachers and I jokingly asked what she had gotten for me. She said I would find out on Thursday. No matter what it is I think this is going to be my best Valentine’s Day because it means the world to me that my sister thought of me!

3. Stefanie D says:

I´m afraid I´m not able to share any stories about Valentine´s Day, good or bad, because I´ve never celebrated it. I prefer a sweet little gesture during the year to feeling obligated to do something special that one day of the year.

4. Kirsten says:

I have always been single on Valentine’s day :( So I have no special (romantic) things happening. Sometimes I go to my mom’s for tea and cake, today aswell. Just catching up and having some quality-time with her :)

5. Melody May says:

I have the most memorable Valentines Day story. It was hubs and I second valentines together. We had waited a whole year before deciding to start a family. People always tell you it takes a while for your body to get the birth control out of your system. So, I thought I have time to prepare myself. No biggie. Valentines weekend we about ready to go out to dinner, but I was having problems with the computer and I just snapped at my husband. Seriously, just lost it. He goes “Why are you getting mad at me?” So he gets ready. I’m thinking that’s not normal, so the logical explanation is I need to a home pregnancy test. I’m telling you go ballistic over something was not normal for me. Sure enough the test came back positive, but course one test won’t do. So, after are valentines dinner we run to Walmart to get more test. Sure enough my psychotic moment was brought to you by pregnancy hormones. That is a valentines I will never forget.

6. Maria P says:

My most memorable Valentine’s Day is going to be today. My husband has the day off; we started out snuggling this morning. We are going to spend the day together, which is always a treat, especially during this time of the year because he is on call 24/7 & we live in the Northeast. I will probably get flowers, & we’ll go to our favorite place for dinner. My husband is so sweet, he makes every day Valentine’s Day for me!

7. Jane – Exactly! Dinner out for us, and I’ll give my hubby a box of Hershey kisses as I always do.
    Patti – That is so sweet of your sister!
    Stefanie – So true. What good is it if it’s only once a year, and he feels *obligated* to do something nice!
    Melody May – LOL. You know something’s up when you’re so out of character!
    Maria – Ooh.. Sounds wonderful!

Aww! These are so sweet. Thank you everyone for sharing.

9. CrystalGB says:

My most memorable Valetine’s Day was the first year we were married. My husband acted like he had forgotten and when I got home from work the house was decorated and he had gotten me a teddy bear, roses, diamond earrings and a sweet card. I was so thrilled I cried.

10. Sandi in OH says:

This evening we are going to dinner with our son, his wife and my mother. My husband has been known to buy me flowers for no reason. I had a really bad day at work and he sent me flowers the next day. He sent me flower on my last day of work. It was a nice retirement gift.

11. Rebe says:

A couple of years ago I was kinda miffed because it was getting later and later in the day and I hadn’t received anything from the DH yet. This wouldn’t be a big deal, except that the ONLY day I get flowers from the hubs is Valentine’s Day. When he finally got home from work, he gave me my gift – tickets to the symphony – and I burst into tears. I’d been wanting to go FOREVER, because my family loves classical music (we all play instruments & the little brother is a pianist), but my in-laws are blue collar and not really into music. The hubs scored some major points that day for getting those tickets to something he would not (and in the end did not) enjoy.

12. Jo's Daughter says:

My most fun Valentines day was last year. My sister and I spend it together baking a chocolate cake, dressing up, watching a romantic movie. Sipping tea in all kinds of flavors and chatting for hours. I had felt lonely and a tad sorry for myself for having yet another valentine on my own. But with my sister there it became a fun girlsnight, in which I was not the least bit lonely or depressed. :mrgreen: This year I am spending it with my cats. My sister has a new man in her life & I am going to rent Magic Mike. Bound to cheer me up. :grin:

13. Sandi – sounds like a GREAT idea – all 3 generations celebrating together.
    Rebe – How sweet of your hubby to sit through a performance he didn’t enjoy. That’s devotion!
    Jo’s Daughter – Magic Mike! I’ve got to organize a girls’ night for that!! What fun!

14. Na S. says:

My Valentine’s Day have been pretty uneventful but I don’t mind because I still get to spend each day with the people I love. I love when I’m surprised with my favorite foods. When someone cooks for me, it takes time and I know it’s made with love :) Happy Valentine’s Day everyone.

15. CateS says:

Well, when I was 17 and dating my now-hubby, he gave me a lovely box of chocolates… we had some & then headed out to the Valentine Day Dance, after I stashed the candy in the deep freeze on the back porch. Next weekend, we go to get the box out to share some more candy…. it was ALL GONE!!! My dad, the truest chocolaholic in our family, ate every last piece…and then left the box… I wish I’d thought to ask him why he just didn’t buy another box and stick it in the freezer…

Love some of these stories. My husband ran out of gas on our second date lol. We’re sort of a hit or miss kind of couple. We’ve been married 43 years and some years we both do something, sometimes one of us does and sometimes neither of us do lol. This happens to be the night we usually meet with friends so we’re all going to do dinner and a movie.

17. Liz V. says:

My friend’s son spent last evening preparing cards for classmates. It reminded me that my mom was meticulous about ensuring every classmate got one from me–friend or otherwise. So no little child walked away with no card. Thank you mom!

18. Connie Fischer says:

My husband and I just make a homemade card for each other. It’s always creative, funny and risque. They are our treasures and we have so much fun making them. After 46 years of marriage, we don’t need to do the flowers and candy routine. We tell each other how much we love the other all the time.

Happy Valentine’s Day.

19. eap says:

No special memories good or bad for me.

20. Cate – Your dad sounds like a real card!
    Catslady – sounds like a fun evening.
    Liz – We always did the same with our kids. Everyone got a Valentine when they were in school.
    Connie – Wow – homemade cards? And risqué, too? No wonder you’ve been married 46 years!!
    Eap – Valentine’s Day is such a hit-or-miss day for most people. Some years it’s fun, other years it’s just a pain.

21. Kirsten – nice that you get to spend some quality time with your mom. I wish I could do the same with mine. At some point, you realize you didn’t have enough time together. :-(

baking a cake for family

23. Kimh says:

I I I don’t celaneate it but I do like giving candy and getting some. Lol
    great. Stories Ty for sharing and the. The prizes :grin:

24. Quilt Lady says:

Happy Valentine’s Day! I guess the one that stands out for me is the year my husband which doesn’t do anything for Valentine’s Day went out and had ear rings attached to a white rose and had them put inside of a balloon. It was such a shocking surprise.

25. Ann s. says:

I had a whirlwind romance and my husband asked me to marry him on Valentines Day. We are still together 28 years later. I love every Valentines Day!

26. Chelsea B. says:

I think today actually has to be one of the best. We went out and had an amazing lunch with the family, and all day we kept getting mixed up and telling people Happy Thanksgiving. I don’t even know what to say about that. It was like today was absolutely not supposed to be Valentine’s Day. It was supposed to be Thanksgiving ;-)

27. Barbara Elness says:

I haven’t had too much excitement on a Valentine’s Day. I’d say my most memorable would be when my boyfriend hand delivered flowers to the front desk at my work so I could show them off to all my coworkers. It’s always fun to tease the office with your pretty flowers. :D

28. Lorelei says:

It’s so great to hear your memorable and not so memorable Valentine’s. We’re kind of like Cindy, depending when the day falls, we celebrate either a day before or when ever convenient, we hate crowds, too. Every year hubby and I would buy our kids heart balloons, put chocolate treats on their beds, but I couldn’t do a thing for them this time because I was bringing my mom back home on a 4hr flight with a cast on her leg, quite a challenge I tell you! But it was so nice to arrive home and have them all give me bouquets of roses, chocolates and heart notes when I had nothing but exhaustion from my journey. I guess they learned well, huh? And Kristan, your memory brought tears to my eyes… My hubby always buys our girl a dozen roses every year, too. Father-daughter bond is so special. <3

29. Janie McGaugh says:

I don’t really have any particular memory that stands out.