Kristan Higgins
Kristan Higgins

Jaunty Post

Television Blind DateIn THE BEST MAN, which comes out in two short weeks, Faith Holland is determined to find her father a nice woman to date.

This was wicked fun for me to write, because yes, I fancy myself a gifted matchmaker. Not that I’ve ever set up anyone successfully, mind you, but this is more their fault than mine (cough). My handsome and single and gainfully employed brother-in-law, for example, is terrible at first dates (or so I suspect…to date, he hasn’t allowed me to tag along and sit in eavesdropping position). But if he did let me, I could wire him so he could hear me as I whispered advice on what to talk about. So far, he has rejected this generous offer.

bridesmaidsThis irritates me greatly. After one attempted fix-up, my dear BIL reported that while his date was lovely, they didn’t seem to have much to talk about. “What?” I screeched. “But you have TONS to talk about! You both love to read! You both love movies! You both love me!” Plus, I had already picked out my maid of honor dress for their wedding, not to mention made a list of potential names for my future nieces and nephews. I’m still mad at the BIL for not making this work.

chocolatesA friend of mine has promised that when she’s ready to date, she’ll let me log onto her Match.com account and screen men for her. I think this is a great idea! Have I not been very happily married for lo these 21 years? Plus, I can ask the hard questions: Have you ever been arrested? Do you like children and animals? What kind of gift would you buy your sweetheart on Valentine’s Day? (That’s a trick question, of course, because everyone knows he should’ve bought it BEFORE Valentine’s Day).

In the book, Faith goes to eCommitment, my fictionalized dating website, and screens women for her dad. She registers him for Singles Shooting Night at the local gun range and goes with him, nudging him into talking to women. She meets one candidate to verify her potential, same as I want to do for my brother-in-law.

But love is a capricious thing, isn’t it? People who seem so right for each other often lack the spark. And sometimes, the spark is a just a little slow in coming. All you need is love, as the saying goes. But sometimes, love needs a little time.

Have you ever fixed anyone up? Were you ever fixed up yourself? How did it work out? Leave a comment, and I’ll give one of you a signed copy of THE BEST MAN, which received starred reviews from both Publishers Weekly and Kirkus!

133 thoughts on “Matchmaker, Matchmaker

1. Ginny LaMere says:

I had a hand in fixing up my brother and sister-in-law and they have been married for over 30 years. I met my sister-in-law Linda while playing Bunco and after about 4 months said to my mom she would be perfect for Art (my brother) knowing he would not take my advice I had mom suggest a date and the rest is history as they say

2. Timitra says:

My sister fixed me up once with one of her one of her boyfriend at time friend. It didn’t work out, we were just starting to get to know each other when he got sick with chicken pox, things pretty much fizzled after that.

I married early so I never had any but my 28 yr. old daughter got fixed up by one of my friends. He was 14 yrs. older but this poor guy just didn’t know how to talk with women. He put himself down and on a first date you don’t want to hear so many negatives. And they had nothing in common. I wasn’t happy with my friend because she should have known better but I guess she was desperate to find this guy someone.

4. peggy c. says:

I did try to fix up my foster sister with a guy who was going thru a divorce well he ate dinner over at my grandmas and i thought my grandma would be gone.Well needless to say when I got home I got a look from grandma which i knew that I had made a big mistake trying to get them together the next morning she looked at me and said ” Peggy where did you leave your brains”. I knew she was so mad and that i better not answer that question so we played the silent game the whole weekend and was so glad when Monday came and things well the routine was back to normal wow she was mad at me for a week or more so I knew never to try that again she always taught me well

5. RobynDeHart RobynDeHart says:

Well, our own Emily McKay tried to fix me up a few times before I met The Professor and well, let me just say that one of the guys was actually gay and she just didn’t know it. :roll: Needless to say I appreciated her efforts, but she’s a much better baker than a matchmaker. I would love to fix two of my single friends up with great guys, but sadly I don’t know any single men and The Professor is so not helpful with that.

6. Karen says:

I was fixed up once with a man that was friends with my older sister and her boyfriend. He was soo hot but I was to young and inexperienced for him. He was a perfect gentleman but I knew it was never to be. :roll:

7. Debbi S says:

I started dating my husband when I was 17 so I never needed anyone to set me up with someone. :grin: I have never had the chance to set anyone up either.

8. Patti says:

I have never fixed anyone up but have been on the receiving end of that humiliating experience. It was at a party which made it worse since everyone there knew the deal…..never again!

9. Quilt Lady says:

I was fixed up a time or two but it never worked out. Not sure what happened there.

10. Polly says:

I’ve never fixed anyone up but have been the target of a fix-up, a LONG time ago but I’ll never forget it. A fraternity party with a date who must have forgotten he came with me, because he left with someone else!

11. Traci says:

I was actually fixed up! The guy didn’t really want to go, and almost cancelled at the last minute, but it was too late. We went on a double date with the friends who fixed us up. I guess you could say it went well, I ended up marrying him :)

12. Allison says:

When I was 18 years old, my best friend was two years younger than me and went to a different school. I invited her to go to a New Year’s Eve party with me and introduced her to my good friend, Billy. He and I had carpooled to preschool together and never escaped each other! They started dating with in a week, got married five years later, and now after four years of marriage, are expected their first child, a little girl! I, therefore, consider myself an EXCELLENT matchmaker! Now I’m just waiting for someone to match me up MY perfect guy!!

13. Sara says:

I haven’t personally been fixed up but my sister was. A friend of ours tried to set her up with a guy she worked with. My sister found out that the guy was a little younger then her and decided it wasn’t the right match. She still invited they guy, some of his friends and some of our friends over for a Memorial Day picnic. She ended up falling for the original guys best friend and they got married 4 months after that. They’ve been married now for 15 years.

haven’t fixed anyone up and haven’t been fixed up

15. Barbara Elness says:

I’ve never fixed anyone up, but I have been fixed up before. My friend arranged for me to meet a friend of her boyfriend and we went out a few times, but nothing came of it. My other friend tried to fix me up with a man she was friends with, I wasn’t interested, and she ended up with him and it’s been about 10 years now that they’re still together. :D

16. Lenny says:

I’ve never fixed anyone up but my 17-year-old nephew fixed up his Dad and the Librarian at his high school. They’ve now been married a couple of years so he must be pretty good at it!

17. Marcy Shuler says:

I’ve never tried to set someone up. And the one time someone tried to set me up I didn’t have the nerve. LOL Thank goodness I found my hubby at work.

18. Patti J says:

A friend fixed me up with a date. Unfortunately, she failed to mention that he was married. He didn’t seem too concerned about his marital status (obviously), since he mentioned his wife within the first 30 minutes of our first (and last) date. He just couldn’t understand why I asked him to take me home and why I wouldn’t go out with him again.

19. Vandy B says:

Yeah…sooo…I was dating this guy in a band and my sister had recently moved to town and thought the lead singer was a hottie. I did my sisterly duty and hooked them up b/c she didn’t have the balls to do it herself. She married him…and then divorced him. Both relationships ended in disaster. We are both much happier now. Live and learn :)

20. Dawn Bell says:

Hi there, new to your page, love it already. As to be being fixed up, a friend of mine fixed me up with her bf’s buddy on New Year’s Eve 1985. We have been together ever since, so 27 years total, married on February 24th for 23 years <3. i was 15 at the time.

21. Chelsea B. says:

Nope and nope, thank goodness! ;-)

22. Kathy Rando Giannone says:

I’ve never been fixed up, & I’ve never fixed up someone else. However, I did meet My Guy online. We’ve been together now for over 12 years.

23. Kelly says:

I’ve never fixed anyone up or been fixed up. I’m really looking forward to reading The Best Man. I love all of your books!

24. Eileen A-W says:

I had a few fix-up dates back before I met my hubby 32 years ago. I did fix up a teacher friend with hubby’s best friend. It didn’t work out, but they did try for more than one date. I don’t think I’m good at fixing up others. People I think should be good together never are. I do like your idea about your best friend’s dating site. That would be fun.

25. Ann s. says:

I fixed my friend up with a guy I worked with once and it went badly. They didn’t get along like I thought they would. That was the last time I tried to play matchmaker.

26. Shaleen says:

I have not attempted matchmaking, yet! I think I could nail personalities. Chemistry is the key though. My one set up was awful. We emailed and chatted online. Very humorous and interesting guy. Phone calls, not so great. I was shy back then and had to keep the conversation going. We met after a few months and it was just cricket, cricket time. I had to once again keep it rolling. I was sick, he was out of state, and we saw United Marshall’s, long movie. He took me to a theater 2 hours away. The good news, I stayed with my best friend on this trip, and he and I took our great friendship and moved beyond that. He admitted he was a little bit jealous. We have a 10 year old son. So I can’t be upset with my friend!! That one experience keeps me from matchmaking though.

27. Amy says:

I was fixed up once. I received a voicemail from a friend that said she met someone who was “perfect” for me and that since he was her boss’ brother I had to go out with him to make her “look good”!! Her voicemail continued letting me know she already gave out my # and he would be calling. We have been together for 13 years. She was right. How many people can say that?

28. Laura says:

A friend once fixed me up. The first date went very well. The second was just okay. On the third (and last) date he essentially proposed. I’d planned on ending things on the third date and he just made it easier to do so. In fact I really didn’t have to say anything because when I said I didn’t want to get married, he made it clear he needed to “move on”. So basically it wasn’t me, he just wanted a wife.

29. CateS says:

I’m in the none-fixup group… haven’t been and wouldn’t want to try to guess… But I’ll admit that I’ve seen it work and then I’ve been told about some flaming disasters…

30. Emily says:

I tried to fix up my brother with my best friend so she can legally be my sister. Alas, they live too far apart to actually make it work- but they did have a good couple of dates!

31. Kirsten says:

I was fixed up with a guy who had sweaty pancakes under his arms. We went dancing, he lifted his arms up and I think his shirt was made of polyester or something… So unattractive! no surprise there would not be a second date.

32. Angel says:

Never had the chance to :(

33. Lorelei says:

Oh, I come from a family that loves matchmaking, but I have to say, they were never successful. I always thought it was weird that my grandmothers friends would visit with their grandsons and they’d expect me to entertain them… I was so clueless at the time! lol! Nah, love strikes when we least expect it ;-)