Jaunty Quills
Jaunty Quills

Jaunty Post

ADateWithFortuneWhat fun, being invited to play with you all—thank you so much. I’m happy to talk about my newest book, A DATE WITH FORTUNE, which is Book 2 in the latest Fortune Family continuity series for Harlequin Special Edition, “The Fortunes of Texas: Southern Invasion.”

My hero is Michael Fortune, the COO of his family’s telecommunications company in Atlanta, Georgia. He’s a leader and independent thinker. He organizes dates as he would a business meeting, that is, he plans  and follows through, although he’s also creative. He is instantly attracted to the heroine in a way that’s never happened to him before. However, she doesn’t let him just organize things and have his way, and he’s not used to that from anyone. He has to rethink what’s worked for him in the past. I love how he does that.

My lovely heroine is Felicity Thomas, a candy maker who is just as sweet as her products, but she also is a good businesswoman with a smart mind. She’s perfect for Michael because she’s entirely different from his usual choice, which intrigues him, and it’s a good thing since he needs his life shaken up some. Also, almost everyone in town, including his own family, tell him to stay away from her.  So of course he doesn’t.

One of my favorite parts of writing continuities is getting to play in the same sandbox with other writers. While I think my story stands alone just fine, my heroine and the heroine of book 1 by Allison Leigh, HER NEW YEAR’S FORTUNE, are roommates, so Allison and I worked together a lot, exchanging scenes and ideas. It was a blast! Some enduring friendships have come from writing the continuities. I love the whole series.

This book required a whole lot of horrible, draining, exhausting research in how to many candy, especially truffles :-).  Man, oh, man, was that the most fun research ever! One of the things I learned was the difference between good and bad white chocolate. I always thought I wasn’t a fan of white chocolate, until I tasted some that was exceptional.

In general, research is one of my favorite aspects of writing any book. I usually discover something that makes a difference in the book, something that spurs my imagination or takes me down a different path.  One of the most interesting interviews I did was with a DEA agent who asked me at least ten times not to mention his name, but he also gave me great up-to-the-minute details about their technology, which I got to use but called it “experimental.” I especially enjoy doing one-on-one interviews. Last summer I drove 500 miles to where I planned to set my next three books, Red Valley Ranchers, which are set on a cattle ranch, a lavender farm and an organic-food farm. The organic farmer, in particular, gave me so many great ideas. She told me where the ideas in my plot would and wouldn’t work, given the local environment, and what would be feasible for a one-woman operation. It would’ve been a very different book without her input.

I’m always happy to learn something new when I’m reading a book.  How about you?  If you provide an answer, I’ll draw from the names for a $10 Amazon or Barnes & Noble gift card.

Thanks for having me!

50 thoughts on “Welcome Susan Crosby–”A Date With Fortune”

1. Hi Susan!!! It’s lovely to see you here. I love learning new things when I’m reading a book and also seeing new places for the first time. I have been inspired to try things like cooking, baking based on books I’ve read. And have also become interested in new places as well.

Take care.

1. Susan Crosby says:

Hi, Katherine! So nice to see you, too! Ah the life of a writer, a continuing, ongoing education. What a bonus!

Susan

2. Chocolate research, huh? Well, someone had to do it, Susan! So nice to have you here! Best of luck with the book…it sounds wonderful.

1. Susan Crosby says:

Thanks, Kristan! I know you’ve had fun with your own research. You sure do write great dogs, among other things! :lol:

3. HI Susan – Well, I’m glad *someone* is researching chocolate!
    I’m thinking about doing a little research in Scotland this summer… There may be chocolate, but I’m counting on kilts. :-)

1. Susan Crosby says:

Oooh, Margo–kilts! How is it they can be so darned sexy?!

4. Kathryn in Montreal says:

Learning while you enjoy a book is painless and adds so much to the story. Dick Francis was a master… each of his mysteries focused on a certain theme, business, wine, photography, computers, art, whatever… and he wove it into his books with ease. I loved reading his horse-world-related mysteries. Jean M. Auel’s Earth’s Children series is another good example. She did extensive, exhaustive research to provide amazing insight into what life must have been like 60,000 years ago… and of course, my favourite book ever, The Pillars of the Earth… Ken Follett’s research into the construction of a cathedral, history, way of life in the Middle Ages… wow!

1. Susan Crosby says:

Kathryn, you are so right about learning being painless, and you chose two of the masters, indeed. I always thought I was pretty good at Jeopardy because of all the books I read. Now it takes me longer to pull up details in my overstuffed brain. :lol:

5. Kimh says:

Ngrats on the nook love to leran new things love candy too :cool:

1. Susan Crosby says:

Thanks, Kim! I appreciate it.

Susan

I love to learn new things from books. That’s part of the fun of reading, I think. I have learned so many diverse things from reading historicals, especially, but contemps too.

1. Susan Crosby says:

I agree, Shana. Learning is learning–and if it comes while you’re having fun reading, too, what a bonus!

7. Terri Brisbin says:

Susan – Thanks for joining us today!!

As a reader, I love when authors pique my interest and I end up looking into something that’s new to me. As an author, gosh, I end up following winding paths as I try to confirm a detail or event in my historicals….and hours later I realize I should have been writing…LOL!

Good luck with your new book – looks great!

1. Susan Crosby says:

Hi, Terri! Every time I see your name I remember the TV interview you did right at the beginning of your career. It was so awesome! Yes, research can be so absorbing, but we wouldn’t have it any other way, would we?

1. Terri Brisbin says:

Susan —
        On Liftime tv? Oh gosh that was terrifying and fun! I have it recorded somewhere….

8. eap says:

It’s nice to learn something painlessly.

1. Susan Crosby says:

You bet, eap! Painless in any situation is good. If they could figure out a way to make childbirth painless… :lol:

9. Sandi in OH says:

I read fiction and non-fiction so I’m always learning something. I learned about Imo Jima from Flags of Our Father which led me to find Ira Hayes’ burial site at Arlington. Reading about Presidents has led me to their homes and/or museums.

1. Susan Crosby says:

Hey, Sandi! How cool that you’ve carried your interest to actually seeing the museums and homes. I’ve seen a couple of homes, but not museums. You’ve got me interested now, though. Thanks!

10. Rebe says:

I like to learn new things in books, as long as it doesn’t feel like a lesson! I’ve actually managed to hold my own in a conversation with historians thanks to some historical novels, lol!

1. Susan Crosby says:

That’s a good point, Rebe. Being “talked to” is different from having the information work with the story and characters. And don’t you love being knowledgeable?!

11. CateS says:

Learning interesting things via books I read has amazed some of my friends.. and it will come out while playing games like Trival Persuit..
    Congrats on the lastest release and I appreciate your research in chocolate… saved me lots of calories!!!

1. Susan Crosby says:

Oh, Cate, I do recommend doing your own chocolate research, just for the fun of it ;-) . Virtual research about chocolate does lack a little something. I love Trivial Pursuit, too!

12. Phyllis says:

Hi Susan! You know, I hope you shared that chocolate research with your friends ;) The book sounds great!

Phyllis,

Unfortunately I ate my research. My friends will just have to forgive me!

13. Deb says:

Susan, I really like to read how authors do background research and some of the things they’ve learned, whether it’s actually for the book or not. I, too, like others have learned things or had a better “picture” of aspects of a place or way of life of a character. I’ve used some books to help me with ideas for decorating or for food ideas. (Long story short, but my family chooses a diff country each year for Christmas dinner and Medieval England was one choice…..) I even look up words that I understand through context, but want to double-check, especially words from historicals. Congrats on your release!

1. Susan Crosby says:

Wow, Deb! I want to come to Christmas with you. That sounds amazing! I’ll bet everyone has a blast. I think readers and writers are endlessly curious people.

14. Maureen says:

I do like learning new things when I am reading a story, it makes the story even more interesting.

15. Susan Crosby says:

Hi, Maureen! I totally agree with you, even if it’s learning about how someone solves a problem, not just something historical or professional.

16. Cindy Kirk Cindy Kirk says:

Susan,

Thanks so much for stopping by…I’ve always loved learning new things through novels (it’s such a pleasurable way to learn)

Your research sounds…delicious!

1. Susan Crosby says:

Oh, yeah, Cindy. It was. It was.

Susan

I like learning about different subjects.

Learning while reading interesting stories is just the best. The romance is a definite bonus lol. And there’s such variety that it’s limitless what you can learn!

19. Susan Crosby says:

Hi, catslady–

You said it so well! Variety, romance and knowledge. What more can we ask?

20. Ann s. says:

I read for the entertainment and it keeps the mind occupied. If I learn something it is even better. I think I learn something new with each book I read, after all knowledge is power.

1. Susan Crosby says:

Yes, indeed, Ann, knowledge is power. You’re so right.

21. GladysMP says:

Doing research has to be educational. I am amazed at the efforts that authors do go to in making their stories authentic. That teaches the readers things, also.

1. Susan Crosby says:

Thank you, Gladys. I know for me it wouldn’t be as much without learning about a new profession or hobby or something.

Susan

22. So glad you could be here today, Susan! Your book is on my Kindle, and I’m looking forward to reading it as soon as I finish my Rita books.

1. Susan Crosby says:

Hey, Nancy! Thanks. I’m working my way through my Rita books, too. Had a couple of great ones.

23. Jo's Daughter says:

Yes, I love to learn new things through books. And I have been inspired to bake cookies after reading a romance novel in which the heroine baked cookies for the kids of her hero. I baked before but it had been a long time since I baked cookies. :grin:

Now THAT’S success :lol:

24. Na S. says:

I’ve learned so many things reading fiction. I love it! Some things are surprising fun facts while others are more educational. I soak them up :)

1. Susan Crosby says:

Na S., Isn’t it fabulous! I love the love story in romances, it’s what drives everything, but what I learn around the way can add a lot.

25. Kirsten says:

It is always great fun to learn new things or to “visit” new places. I also enjoy reading about the traditions of others for, say, the holidays.

1. Susan Crosby says:

Kirsten, that’s a good one. Learning about how others do things is fascinating.

26. Laurie G says:

Yes I learned a lot of interesting things via books especially about jobs: wine making, running a bakery, making stained glass pictures, making jewelry, running a floral shop, being a wedding planner, a photographer, a caterer!

I’ve also learned a lot about different areas of the USA and foreign countries and their customs.

1. Susan Crosby says:

Isn’t that wonderful, Laurie! Me, too.

27. Susan Crosby says:

Rebe, you’ve won the gift certificate! Please send your email address to
    susan at susancrosby dot com. Let me know if you would prefer Amazon or Barnes and Noble.

Thank you all SO MUCH for making me feel so welcome!