Robyn DeHart
Robyn DeHart

family, Fun, Love, parenting, Robyn DeHart

0709101515So the other night The Professor and I were in bed (get your heads out of the gutter, this isn’t *that* kind of blog) and he says to me, “we need a hobby.” Now before we had kids we went to movies. A lot. It was pretty much out entire courtship. Lots and lots of movies, which was great because it gave us stuff to talk about while we were getting to know each other and well, we learned about each other too based on the movies we saw, liked, didn’t like. Flash forward to now, post children and well, we might get to the theatre every other month, if that. And well, since we don’t get a lot of conversation time with just the two of us, then sitting quietly while watching a movie takes up what could be valuable chatting time.

So back to our conversation. I suggest Scrabble. We used to play a lot. We enjoy it and we’re good opponents for one another. And it works for him because his favorite writer is CS Lewis and we heard once that Lewis and his wife used to play Scrabble together – of course they played where any language was game. The Professor and I only play in English though we aspire. But we haven’t played in a while.

100_1158So we discuss other options…gardening? No, I’m not really into digging in the dirt, it just doesn’t work for me. There are worms. Eww! Cooking together? I’d love to have him help more, but he’s not really that skilled in the kitchen and frankly right now I’ve got a pretty sweet deal – I cook, he cleans the kitchen. So that really takes that off the table. We could make model cars. No, I’m not thinking either one of us would be good at that.

Then on a silly whim I say, “well, we could always become amateur sleuths.” He rolls over with a big smile, “that’s it!”

We watch a little TV, I toss out a few more suggestions: we love museums but we don’t really live near very many, a poker group but we don’t have many friends who live close enough, and the list went on. He finally said, “nothings as good as the sleuthing idea…”

So there you have it, The Professor and I are not amateur sleuths. So far we don’t have any cases, but I’m sure any day now they’ll start rolling in. Hey, we’re clever people.

Okay so what kinds of things do you and your spouse enjoy doing together? And keep it clean, people!

15 thoughts on “the one in which The DeHarts attempt to find a hobby…

1. I love it. Have fun sleuthing! When I was 11-12 years old I used to read a lot of Trixie Belden mysteries and used to lead (ok, maybe coerce) my younger sisters to help me go and look for clues around our property. We found a lot of spent shotgun shells, which I knew meant there had been a crime nearby. My dad thought it was just hunters who used to go out in the swamp every night, but what did he know! :)

2. Sharlene Wegner says:

You bring up a good idea. My husband & I don’t really have any hobbies we do together. Before kids, we used to go to concerts a lot. I even got him into country music! Now, the closest we get is watching American Idol!

3. My sister and her hubby are taking ballroom dancing classes. McIrish and I tried that, but we were kicked out for lack of rhythm. We also love movies, and we watch Downton Abbey together. We like to hike and take bike rides in the nicer weather…but I hear you, Robyn! A hobby would be really fun!

4. JenfromTexas says:

Does playing games on the phone count, as long as we’re both in the same room? Lol. Okay: we are both in the church choir, we both cook together, and that’s about it for now. We’ve got two little ones, so by the time they are in bed we are both exhausted.

5. Mia Marlowe says:

Back in the BC era (Before Children), the DH and I used to play a lot of two handed card games. Of course, that was before we could afford a television (I am not kidding. Poor folks learn how to make their own fun!) We also got into community theatre, both on stage and off. After the kids came along, we took up roller skating and hit the rink once a week as a family. Then one Christmas the DH gave me ballroom dancing lessons as a gift and we were back to a couple’s activity. It was lovely and we still enjoy a good waltz when the opportunity arises.

6. Lorelei says:

Oh, I love this topic. Hubby and I do need more hobbies. Right now we walk in the evenings or take bike rides, depends on the mood and energy level. I’d love to play Scrabble, but he’s not much into board games. Going to the movies has been another thing we’ve done more of lately, and travel. We want to take any long weekends to go anywhere our car can take us. It’s not hard, living in FL. Also trying out new places to eat. That Drive-in, Diners and Dive’s Show is one of our favorites! We love watching that together.

7. Maria P says:

I’m very lucky, my husband & I enjoy being together & it doesn’t really matter to us what we’re doing. We love taking little day trips together when we can, that’s really our thing. Walking around our local park, or anywhere for that matter, is always fun. I now even enjoy watching football with him because he’s explained it a bit to me. On our list of things we want to do together: take a vacation to an island or another country & take dancing lessons.

8. Tori says:

I think sleuthing sounds fun! Have you ever heard of geocaching? It’s sort of like sleuthing!

My husband and I both enjoy dining out, but we especially like to try out new and exotic local restaurants. They don’t have to be fancy, some of our favorite places are actually dives. Though sometimes we’ll go to a favorite place and just order something completely off the wall to share.
    We like to travel, although now that we have children, it’s mostly just day or weekend trips.
    We used to like to go mountain biking together, but our current location is sorely lacking in convenient, interesting trails.

After children – we played in a dart league for many years before it fell apart lol. We have been in a bocce league for many years and really enjoy it. We also go out and eat on those nights with friends. In the winter we started a games night which is lots of fun.

10. CateS says:

There is a sleuthing game on FB… I have friends who play… or play ‘themed’ scrabble… just words found in Disney movies.. Learn to play something like Cribbage, chess, backgammon…. so you can pay w/two people.

11. What about bowling or wine tasting, Robyn?

I know you took cooking together off the table, but there’s an adorable little gourmet shop/ cooking school in the area that offers “date nights” where you cook and eat at the shop There’s always a theme to the night and they do the cleanup.

We need a hobby too. We also watch Downton Abbey together and a few other shows. We do a lot of church things together.

13. RobynDeHart RobynDeHart says:

Great suggestions y’all.

Nancy, you know we love to Wii bowl – does that count? We’ve actually been regular bowling, but it’s been a few years. I love to bowl.

1. Wii bowl, tennis and golf. That’s the way to go! Have fun, Robyn! :)

14. Ann s. says:

We love to walk the dogs and watch TV together. We have been enjoying each others company for 28 years.