Cindy Kirk
Cindy Kirk

Jaunty Post

Why is a klutz so appealing?

I’ve noticed recently that the heroines in books are often a klutz.

Remember Bella in Twilight???  Awkwardness and klutz personified.

Fifty Shades of Gray??   Ana is also a klutz.

Is this characteristic so popular because many of us can identify with a woman who stumbles into a room, rather than glides?  Who drops a piece of food onto her new white shirt?  Who, especially when under stress, trips over something, bumps into a wall or door jamb, spills her purse contents all over the floor?

I can identify with such a character.  I was the girl who spilled salad dressing on the front of my prom dress at the dinner prior to the dance.  I can remember knowing a boy (who I really, really wanted to impress) was in a specific restaurant, then casually walking in with some friends, only pulling the front door open the wrong way (you were supposed to push not pull) and hearing it make a loud sound that made him–and other patrons–sit up and notice.:oops:

I remember climbing the stairs at a football game…and on my way to the very top, tripping and ending up sprawled in a strange man’s lap.  Oh, yes, of course he had a drink in his hand.

In my book that’s out this week, His Valentine Bride, Betsy is more of  a plain Jane than a klutz.  But I still loved her as a heroine.  Here’s a little bit about the story:

Ms. Right…Was Right Under His Nose!

Betsy McGregor is down on her luck–and pretty down on love, too. Besides being out of work for so long, she’d also harbored a secret crush on Ryan Harcourt since forever. When she finally lands a job, Betsy finds herself not only working for the handsome lawyer she’s always loved, but also agreeing to play matchmaker for him And vice versa!

But the more time Ryan spends trying to find Betsy a match, the more he realizes he really wants her for himself. Could true love have been right in front of him all along? If Ryan can ever get Betsy to admit her real feelings, they could just find themselves saying “I do” this Valentine’s Day.

I’m giving away THREE copies of this book, drawn from everyone who shares their klutziest moment.  Hey, since I’ve bared my soul, you can bare yours.  Oh, if you’ve never been klutzy, tell me if you find a klutzy heroine appealing…or irritating!

44 thoughts on “The Loveable Klutz

1. Kirsten says:

Luckily I’m not a HUGE klutz. But when I get nervous that sometimes changes. Falling over my own feet, spilling drinks. Knocking over displays in a shop when spotting my ex with someone else… Been there, done that.

I also remember going on a very important first date when I was a teenager. I wore a transparent “glass” beaded necklace and I was super nervous.

I twirled/played with the necklace, all the way during dinner. It broke and beads flew everywhere… Also in his meal, though I had not realized this while trying to control the damage.

He chewed some food, laughing at my stupidity & not long after pulled a funny face. He took a bead out of his mouth and then had to dissect his dinner in great detail, just in case more beads hid in the food…

He made a BIG deal out of the broken necklace and never asked me out again. I still liked him and blamed the bead-incident. Now (years later) I can see the humor of the story & smile remembering my teenage self.

Kirsten,

That bead story is absolutely hilarious, although I’m sure it wasn’t so funny at the time. lol

2. Laurie G says:

When I was in 4th grade I rode a double bike with my best friend on the back seat. I saw a boy I had a crush on. I waved, lost control and crashed onto the road. Not only did I injure my pride but I wiped the skin off of my right leg especially my knee and thigh. It throbbed the whole night long.

Laurie,

Your story is absolutely, positively something I would do!

3. Maureen says:

I can be a klutz, definitely. It seems that every time I am working in the front yard I end up knocking myself over trying to pull tough weeds out of the ground or reaching too high to trim bushes.

Maureen,

That’s why I’ve given up pulling weeds. Too many times falling on my a**…lol

4. Oh, where to begin! I’m a total klutz and always have been. Kicked out of the beginner’s salsa class. Not allowed to take ballet. Once, I got my purse caught in the door of the train at the Atlanta airport, and the door couldn’t open or close, and all the people on the train had to wait till Engineering came to pry open the doors as I apologized over and over and over. I love the premise of your book, Cindy! Can’t wait to read it.

Kristin,

Somehow I knew you’d have a good story to tell. I have to say topping your, ah, Atlanta experience would be difficult. :)

I’m by no means, Ms. Graceful, but I’m not a klutz either. I don’t mind klutzy heroines. I think it can be done in a cute way, if it’s not overdone. You make me think I should write a klutz! But what if it was the guy…?

Shana,

I can hear that writer’s mind of yours going to work…

6. Sandi in OH says:

I worked as a secretary at an university. The dean was very proud of himself because he was the only dean without a PhD. I had to take coffee to him and the associate dean. The door was stuck, no one opened it for me. I put the coffee on the desk, pushed on the door, and landed on the associate dean’s lap. The dean got upset and started yelling at me. He should have been grateful that I had no coffee in my hands. Years later, same dean was at the med center when I had my 16 year old son there. Son had been given a shot, we were walking to the door behind the dean, when Denny fainted. The dean turned around, saw Denny, and walked out the door.

Sandi,

I LOVE your story. It reminded me of one I forgot to share…the one where I was a 16 y/o waitress and had a hot chicken pot pie tip off a tray I was carrying right into a guy’s lap!

What is there about guy’s laps anyway? It’s like they have some magnetic pull. lol

7. I have been known to be a bit klutzy. I used to be a tour guide at the Magic Kingdom at WDW and one time after leading my group off of the Haunted Mansion ride I was walking backwards and telling them trivia that had them all impressed until I walked into one of the poles near the exit. Not so impressive. :)

Also when attempting to look cool at a high school swim meet and not look directly at a boy I thought was cute, I slipped and fell down the bleachers.

Kathy,

It’s amazing how these things always happen when we’re either trying to be cool…or professional. Loved your stories.

8. CrystalGB says:

When I lived in the dorm during college, we had to take our trash down several flights of stairs to the dumpster. I tripped going down the stairs and rolled down many steps. I was so embarrassed and bruised.

Crystal,

I’m so proud to admit I’ve never fallen “down” the stairs. But “up” the stairs…well, too many times to count.

So happy you weren’t more seriously injured.

9. Rebe says:

I’m not particularly klutzy, but I did lean over to kiss my then-boyfriend (now my husband), miss and fall off the couch. He LOVES to tell that story.

Rebe,

That is such a cute story…if you weren’t the woman in it. lol

10. Maria P says:

I am a big time klutz. I’ve been known to fall up steps! My dad would tease me about it, so I’d tell him that anyone can fall down them, but it takes a special talent to fall up them! I’m also really bad on ice. I literally freeze when I even see it. The house that I grew up in had steps (yes, again the steps!) going up the front of it. When I was in 7th grade, there was a bad storm, & the snow on some of them quickly turned to ice. I was walking down to get to the car that was picking me up for school, & I fell on an icy patch on the very last step. I sprained my ankle so badly that it was almost broken. It was especially painful for me because that day happen to be my favorite teacher’s last day, she was going out on maternity leave. Ouch!!!

Maria,

I’m also a person who has a talent at falling up stairs! It is a special talent we share. :)

Your fall on the ice sounds horrible. Ouch, indeed!

11. eap says:

Toliet paper on my shoe in public.6

eap,

Toilet paper on the shoe is bad. Having the back of your skirt tucked into your underwear is much worse.

Trust me on this one.

12. Melody May says:

I can be a klutz at times, but I try to block incidents out of my mind. However, most recent incident was when we had are last really bad snow storm. Let me clear the air first I was raise in sunny California and never dealt with snow until I moved to Montana. So, I just finished working out, so I was walking very carefully to my car. I was holding my son too. As I was walking to the car I lost traction slip and fell on my butt. I was afraid of hitting my head and son. But I slip slam on my butt and all my son could do was laugh. Glad he found that funny. I think I even bruise my rear.

Melody,

Those falls on ice can be brutal. Good for you for protecting your son.

You’ll have to hear Terri Brisbin’s story about the horrid fall she took with one of her sons when he was small. EEECK.

13. Lois M. says:

Yeah, I can be one… my classic moment was during a summer night computer course, 10+ years ago. Getting out on the first day, going to where I was picked up, I was thinking, oh yeah, I’m going to fall flat on my face one day, given it was dark on the path….

So where do I fall, screwing up my ankle, probably had a bit of a hairline fracture in my leg, twisting the leg, screwing up my knees for life since then, and having to use one or both crutches for a month after? I fell on the sidewalk, right near the car as I was going in, right smack under the very bright streetlight, that’s where. I repeat – not in the darkness, oh no – under the dang light. If that ain’t klutzy, I don’t know what is. ;)

Lois

Lois,

I can identify so well with your story. When I tripped and broke a bone in my hand several years ago, there had been a lot of snow and ice at the time. Everyone kept asking, did you slip and fall on the fall on the ice?

Unfortunately I had to tell them no, the sidewalk where I feel had been COMPLETELY DRY. Sheesh.

14. Janis Walker says:

The first week of 5th grade, I was trying to be all cool on the swing set that had hand rings (like mens gymnastics uses). I stuck my feet through the rings and thought I could maybe hang by my ankles–knees were too easy, after all. Well, I found out I couldn’t and fell on my head. I was out of school with a concussion for a week! My husband, who I didn’t know at the time, says he remembers hearing about ‘some dumb girl’ falling on her head on the playground. Yep. That was me, honey. The dumb girl you married.

Janis,

Your post made me smile and wince at the same time. lol

15. Connie Fischer says:

If there is something to be tripped over, knocked over or broken, then I’m your girl. My mishaps have been too numerous to count. When I pull yet another “oops,” my hubby just smiles at me and calls me his delicate little flower! :-)

Connie,

Ahhh, your husband sounds like such a sweetie…

1. Connie Fischer says:

Yes, Cindy, he is. After 46 years of marriage, I guess he’s decided to keep me. Yay! :-)

I can remember in high school falling up the stairs many a time with books flying everywhere. And forget sports – my husband tried to teach me skiing and when on the tow rope it started sliding through my hand and everyone behind me had to fall off before I figure out how too lol. I also fell off the ski lift. Same disasters trying to learn how to ride a bike or play tennis (sigh).

catslady,

Falling in high school (or middle school) is the worst.

I can easily see how easy it would be to fall off the ski lift. That part worried me about as much as careening down the hill. Which I did–just once–and fell (of course) tearing the ligaments in my knee.

I find a klutzy heroine interesting to read about.

bn,

Good to know! I like them, too…unless the klutz part is overdone.

18. Josette Schaber says:

I’ve always had weak ankles, so I’m sure I’ve had those moments, but thankfully I’ve blocked them from memory LOL However, there was the time two Christmases ago when I was walking down the stairs–had to go to work the day after Christmas, it was early, cold, and I just wanted to go back to bed– so I was holding a half full pop can in one hand and a half full cup of tea in the other as I walked down the stairs. I very elegantly slipped on the stair (socks and carpeted steps do not work, just saying) and proceeded to watch the pop and tea fly out of their respective containers, splash on the walls, steps, and floor below. I slid a few steps down on my rear, still holding the can and cup firmly in my hand I’m proud to say. I sat their stunned. My husband, who had the day off, came running at the loud noise I made and asked me if I was alright. With tears in my eyes, I looked at him and said, “I knew I should have stayed in bed!”

Oh Josette,

Hugs on your mishap…but you have my admiration for retaining your hold on the pop and tea!

19. Ann s. says:

I am a bit of a klutz, so I can identify with a klutzy heroine. Cut fingers, broken toes all little injuries that happen to me all the time. I like to call myself butterfingered, but my husband says no and I should wear the clumsy badge with pride.

Ann,

I have to say you’re among friends here. All you have to do is read all the comments to know I speak the truth!

20. Cindy, you know I am a first class klutz! Remember, I had not one, but TWO broken toes last fall after I accidentally kicked my elliptical machine? My most embarrassing klutzy moment was when I fell down the stairs in high school. I thought I would be trampled in the between-class stampede. Luckily, it hurt my pride more than my body.

Nancy,

I think bad things that happen within the walls of a high school count double on the embarassement scale.

21. chey says:

I remember falling down the bleachers at a high-school dance.

Chey,

Ooooh falling at a high school DANCE. YIKES!

22. Cindy Kirk Cindy Kirk says:

Thanks to everyone who commented! Remember to check back on Sunday afternoon to see if you’ve won a book!!