Terri Brisbin

Jaunty Post, Terri Brisbin

Tags:
, , ,

I’d been feeling quite self-satisfied lately — as people all around were falling victims to the cough-cold-flu-fever-bronchitis-crud that has been spreading all over the place, I boasted once again about how I never EVER get sick. I am usually very healthy, in spite of working in the dental profession where a surprising number of people arrive for routine treatment sick.

Then, to tempt fate, I went off to WDW in a plane filled with coughing-hacking people! And, I’d cleaned out my handbag and left most all of my allergy/cold meds at home.

Yeah. . . bad idea that.

After two fun and meeting filled days, I was attacked by something that has yet to be identified. . . and it was not pretty!  And worse, it has destroyed my firm belief in the power of Disney magic. I mean – I never expected that a person could get sick in WDW? Really?

The good news? They have a pharmacy that delivers to all Disney hotels. The bad news? I still had to travel home!  And once I did that, I spent the whole next week in bed. . .in pajamas. . .drinking copious amounts of fluids and resting. . . and coughing my lungs out!

T-h-e l-o-n-g-e-s-t w-e-e-k o-f m-y l-i-f-e.

Now, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel and am beginning to feel really human again. I’m almost drug/medication-free, too. LOL! I’ve been wearing real clothes and staying out of bed while it’s daytime. Good signs!

How about you? Has the flu invaded your area? Your home/family? Are you taking vitamin C? Wearing a face mask? Getting some extra rest? What’s your secret to staying healthy during these contagious times? I’ll be taking notes because I NEVER want to do that again!

Terri is also getting back to writing – finishing a novella that will feature characters from her MacLerie Clan stories will be part of the anthology – HIGHLANDERS – in June 2013.  And she’s getting ready for her April release – AT THE HIGHLANDER’S MERCY. Gorgeous cover, huh?  Visit her website for more info!

9 thoughts on “Starve a Fever. . . Feed a Cold?

My friend just came down with the flu. She went to the ER immediately and got tested and got Tamiflu. She said the Tamiflu finally kicked in and really made her feel better. She even got the flu shot, but it’s really only 60% effective. I do a lot of hand washing. And I make Baby G wash her hands a lot–which she hates.

2. eap says:

I’ve been lucky but I get the flu shot.

3. Hi Terri,
    I believe I am the healthiest person but I was knocked down so hard with this virus that I could not move. I was around my grandchilren who had it and also my husband when he became sick on Sunday. I always take plenty of vitamins and extra C but when this thing hit me , I was copletely down for the count. I would suggest always washing your hand and take the extra C.

1. Terri Brisbin says:

Ronna –

I have been washing my hands a lot, too! Hang in there!

I hear this is a horrible year for the flu. Knocking on wood – no one in our family has caught it so far. My one daughter did have a nasty stomach virus and I went over to help her for a couple of days and luckily did not catch that. I do take vitamins but I don’t think anyone has much of a chance if they are in contact with someone that has this flu. I hear even the shots may not help this one. Stay away from large crowds if you can!

5. Phyllis says:

A friend of mine checked in from “The Happiest Urgent Care Clinic on Earth” when she was there a month ago. Strep, I think it was.

We’ve had a bunch of colds and a mild flu (the preschooler had it pretty bad, the rest of us were a little out of it).

My 10 y.o. has a “random rash” that’s either allergy or post-viral rash, the doctor can’t be sure.

6. I’m sorry you’ve been sick, Terri. It got me last year. I had some kind of bronchitis crud that lasted three months. Not fun. Take care of yourself. This year I got a flu shot and I made my husband and college-aged daughter get one, too. I’m getting lots of rest and drinking plenty of fluids. Also, I hear using a netti pot with a salt solution is a good preventative. So far so good. Get well!

7. Lorelei says:

I better knock on wood because I haven’t gotten sick, nor anyone at home – yet… I hope we don’t! Sorry to hear you we’re sick for so long, glad you’re better and human again ;-)

8. Ann s. says:

So far the six of us have been free from the flu. I work in a cash vault and I touch dirty money all day and I think that maybe has improved my immunity. I know that ciculated cash is filthy. I think lots of hand washing is the key for me.