Jaunty Quills
Jaunty Quills

Jaunty Post

Every time I sit down to blog, I’m filled with panic.  Seriously.  I would be more comfortable facing a dental appointment.  (No offense to the fine dentists, their assistants and everyone else in their office who do a bang-up job every day of the week!)  Nevertheless, some bit of insanity hits me now and then when guest blogging on a great site like Jaunty Quills sounds like a really fun idea.  Fortunately and to my great relief, I really do have something fun to talk about—The Fortunes of Texas-Southern Invasion—to ease the panic.

What else can I say about the series, but WOW.  I was thrilled with the opportunity to write the lead book, Her New Year’s Fortune.  Let me tell you, though, that any one of the guys you’re going to be meeting in the series could have stolen my heart.   Of course, I will admit to some prejudice where my guy, Wyatt Fortune, is concerned. He just kept showing a particularly sweet side as he wooed Sarah-Jane Early.  She’s a young woman with a decided lack of self-confidence, which is something a lot of us can identify with.  It’s one of the things I particularly love about a plain-Jane story.  And it isn’t just the fact that Sarah-Jane gets the oh-so-handsome guy.  It’s the fact that Wyatt gets her to recognize and appreciate the Sarah-Jane that HE sees.  And that, in the end, they learn they are both fuller, more complete people as a result of loving one another.  I’ve written a few books now, yet I’m continually amazed at the life these characters take on, and if Wyatt and Sarah-Jane walked in my front door today, I’m not sure I’d be surprised.  (My husband, on the other hand, might offer another take on my sanity….)  But yes, I loved Wyatt and Sarah-Jane.  They were a joy to live with.  Then to put icing on that cake, I also had the fun of working again with the Fortunes—some from last year’s series (Fortunes of Texas-Whirlwind Romance) and some from Southern Invasion—in a free online read that will be available starting later this month on Harlequin.com.  Talk about a year of “Fortune!”

Also a joy is the actual process of participating in a continuity series like this.  Not just seeing the characters grow, marry, have families, etc., but having the opportunity to work with our editor Susan Litman who manages to keep it all straight (a staggering feat), and the other authors in the series.  There were days when I think I talked more with Susan Crosby, whose delightful heroine, Felicity, is Sarah-Jane’s best friend and roommate, than I did with any other live person!  There’s something exciting about brainstorming with such fine writers, forming those relationships and friendships, and I think in the case of this Southern Invasion, the result was magic.  I’m hoping the readers agree. :)

So now we know that the plain-Jane theme is one of my personal faves.  What are some of yours?

If you share your favorite theme, you’ll be entered into a drawing to win a copy of the book.  Check back on Sunday to see if you’re the winner!

–Allison

22 thoughts on “Welcome Allison Leigh!

1. Laurie G says:

Favorite theme-Marriage of convenience

I also like stranded, amnesia, posing as a fiance, friends to lovers, boss/secretary, bodyguard/lover, rescued, rags to riches, beauty hiding in a plain persona..

As you can see I’m easy to please.

1. Oh, Laurie. I love amnesia stories. Wrote one a looong time ago–called A Child for Christmas. See, now that just makes me want to write one again.

2. Cindy Kirk Cindy Kirk says:

Laurie,

I’m with you….LOVE marriage of convenience stories!

Welcome! I love fish out of water!

1. But for the fish…flopping around gasping for mercy…I love doing it to my characters. :twisted: Hate feeling that way myself.

3. I love the “stranger comes to town” theme. And I know what you mean about the characters feeling so real, Allison! I always miss my people when I finish a book. Thanks for coming to the JQs!

1. Pleasure to be here! I’ve got The Best Man on order. Can’t wait.

4. Rebe says:

I like friends-to-lovers and enemies-to-lovers! Also, reunion romances are lots of fun.

1. Ah…reunion stories. Going Home Again. Probably the basic, all-time favorite of mine. Sort of feel like that’s where I started. I always find it easier to write a story when it picks up in the middle of my lovers’ story. (If that makes sense.)

5. Connie Fischer says:

I like the plain Jane and penniless but beautiful governess themes too. There’s always so much potential for an author to write a truly romantic story that will leaving their readers sighing in pleasure!

Welcome, Allison! I can certainly understand your hesitation in writing a blog. I think I would feel the same way. But you know what? You did a great job and I enjoyed reading it. Congratulations on your success and “Her New Year’s Fortune” sounds delightful!

1. Aww, Connie. You’re too kind. Thanks. I grew up reading nearly every Betty Neels book out there. Governesses, nurses. For a too-shy kid who had her nose in a book every chance I could get, I was in heaven! Of course, I also devoured Stephen King—which just gives you a little insight into MY world. ha!

6. eap says:

Marriage of convience combined with he has loved her theme Any suggestions of either or a combo would be appreciated.

7. Sandi in OH says:

I love most all themes for books except for the “he’s the father of my child but he doesn’t know.” Your book sounds so good. I will have to get it. You did a great job with the blog.

I don’t know if I have a particular favorite although there are probably a few I don’t seek out. Beauty and the beast and marriage of convenience are a couple of good ones. (If I like the characters, then I’m usually happy with any theme.)

9. Polly says:

If I get hooked by the characters I like pretty much any theme. You’re The Father Of My Child And Didn’t Know It All These Years will have me closing a book faster than anything. And I’m not a fan of when there’s nothing but lust between characters yet by the end of chapter two one of them is In Love.

10. Welcome, Allison! So glad you could join us today. I know firsthand how fun it is to work with you on the Fortunes series! It’s such a wonderful saga, full of endearing characters and exciting storylines…and you’re a delight to work with. I’m reading Her New Year’s Fortune right now and LOVING it. Congratulations of a fabulous book! Oh, and my favorite type of book to write is a reunion story. :)

brother’s best friend/little sister, reunion stories

12. Cindy Kirk Cindy Kirk says:

Allison,

I have to say your cover is AWESOME!! The cover gods definitely smiled on you for this one.

13. Helen Lacey says:

Hi Allison – I’m so looking forward to reading your book. Favourite theme – I do like the opposite’s attract scenario. And friends to lovers is great too. Really, whichever the theme – if it’s bound in a Special Edition book, they always rock. Awesome cover too :)

14. I was pretty pleased to see the cover of A NEW YEAR’S FORTUNE, too. Think they did a really nice job with it. It’s even a scene right out of the book, which isn’t always the case :smile: I’ve done a few stories where Daddy Didn’t Know about the baby–the first one was combined with that amnesia story I mentioned. It’s interesting to me to hear what are really hot buttons for readers. As a writer, I want to search out the motivation behind why people would even DO such a thing like keep Daddy in the dark. I want to turn the situations on their ear…don’t necessarily know if I succeed, but that’s the goal, anyway!

15. Susan Crosby says:

Hey, Allison, fellow “mother” of a roommate :grin: LOVED working with you and sharing roommate heroines and tons of scenes and brainstorming and…well, you get the picture.
    I love the friends-to-lovers theme a lot. Reunion stories can be so emotional, so they’re special. Actually, I have lots of favorite themes, when it comes down to it. And, oh, your cover is gorgeous. I’ve downloaded the book and am anxious to dig in.

Susan

16. Kirsten says:

I’m a big fan of Beauty and the Beast stories & Marriage of Convenience stories. :mrgreen: