Kristan Higgins
Kristan Higgins

Jaunty Post

Hello, gang! I will confess to you that I’ve been up to my eyeballs in revisions lately, and that is a very happy place for me to be, because I love revising SO MUCH! Much more than I love writing the first draft. At any rate, I am slightly brain-dead at the moment and when it came time to blog, I realized to my horror that I can barely remember this past week and stared at the computer screen for 20 minutes before accepting defeat. But if you play my little game, you could win an early copy of THE BEST MAN! How’s that?

And so…five facts about me you may not have known.

1. I have two middle names. This is because I was a preemie with a 50/50 chance of survival, and my mom prayed to the Virgin Mary to save me in exchange for a middle name. The VM came to my rescue, et voila! Two middle names!
2. Kristan Higgins is the name I was born with. I’ve never had another one, as I chose not to change my name when I married my sainted husband. My father had died not too long before I got married, and I have only two Higgins relatives, so I felt much attached to Higgins, despite McIrish having a very lovely last name.
3. For my eleventh birthday, my dad got me a horse named Jenny, a rather wild-hearted Appaloosa. She died when I was 33 years old and is buried in our field. An apple tree marks her grave.
4. The only C I ever got was in art class.
5. I have 25 first cousins, and at one point or another, I babysat for each one of them.

So tell me five things about yourself that aren’t common knowledge, and maybe you’ll win a copy of my new book, the first in the Blue Heron Vineyard series. Thanks for playing!

99 thoughts on “Five Things

1. Jennifer I says:

Wow, 5 things, hope they’re not too scarey ~
    1. I like eating french green beans straight out of the can
    2. I can stick my toes in my mouth… an acquired skill after my stint w/Cirque du Soleil – NOT
    3. I tend to hoard toilet paper after a traumatizing childhood where my mother thought nothing of shoving napkins @ us.
    4. I think that being given extra rolls and dipping oil @ Bertucci’s is an act of God
    5. I get anxiety on an airplane that somebody near me will flatulate for the entire flight. Seriously. I have the olfactory senses of a basset hound.

Gosh, I’m boring – your story is not :lol:

2. May says:

1. I was pretty good in Latin and French in school… Not sure about now though since I am a bit rusty…
    2. I have a secret wish to write but not that talented….
    3. I can’t cook… (okay… so this one isn’t that secret….) although I am a good baker…
    4. I have been sick for 3 weeks now with a stupid cold!
    5. I am a pharmacist…

3. dhayungs says:

1. I start back to college tonight and i am terrified! I’m afraid of failure and on top of it I am almost 40!
    2. Because of my childhood I also hoard toilet paper and canned goods. There were times when we had neither.
    3. I took Spanish in high school but can only remember the swear words.
    4. I have always wanted to write a children’s book and my son, my sister and I have one mapped out in our heads.
    5. My sister and I had been drinking heavily when we came up with the idea behind the book.

4. eap says:

1. red is my favorite color
    2. July is my favorite month
    3. Murphy’s Romance is my favorite movie
    4 Every Time I see Your Face is the most romantic song, imo.
    5. I can’t eat dairy or gluten anymore. I miss pizza and langasa so much!

5. Lili Mickey says:

1. I am not athletic but I did win a first place award at the Track and Field day during elemetary school. It was for Hoola Hoop!
    2. I don’t know how to swim
    3. I wanted to be an author when I was little.. I am now a nurse practitioner.
    4. I am Italian but I hate parmesean or ramano cheese on my pasta.
    5. The only demerit I ever received was in Religion class for asking too many questions.

6. Terrill says:

1. Even though I turned thirty this year I am still ridiculously afraid of the dark.
    2. I’ve always secretly wanted to be some kind of secret agent but due to the above comment I’m pretty sure it wouldn’t work out well for me ;)
    3. I always carry a book on me no matter where I’m going…you never know when you will have a few minutes to get lost in a story!
    4. When I was little I always wanted braces or glasses when my friends got them. Now I realize how lucky I was to have great teeth and eyesight!
    5. Easy A is probably my favorite movie though I would be hard pressed to admit it ;) I have an absurd love for movies targeted for a 16 year old girl! What can I say I’m young at heart!

7. Katelyn says:

1. The only class I ever did poorly in was Biology.
    2. I graduated a semester early because I had excellent grades even though I didn’t put in much effort.
    3. I’m horrible at wanting to take in every stray animal I come across because I just want to help and love them all.
    4. I just started reading Romance Novels this year and fell hard for them, now having read all of Mrs. Higgins books.
    5. My dream car would be the 2013 Buick Hybrid because of it’s dependability and safety qualities.

8. Moran says:

1. I’m afraid of dogs and cats and I just hate when people keep telling me “how can you be afraid of such a small dog”? :evil:
    2. I hate tomatoes and bananas. The first I never eat and the second I can’t even smell :???:
    3. I don’t drink coffee at all and it’s always funny for me to see people at the office about to die because we are out of coffee.
    4.I was in the army for 2 years since in Israel you have to go to the army when you turn 18. Girls do 2 years and boys 3 years.
    5. I don’t have a driver license since I’m afraid to drive.

9. Becky Alizadeh says:

1. I turned 41 last month. That alone should make me the winner.
    2. I have not read 50 Shades… And never will even though I have nothing against erotica.
    3. I am in desperate need of something to read. (Hint hint)
    4. Tomorrow will be my first day of interning for court reporting and I have no clue as to what to wear!
    5. I love my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 smart phone. <3

10. Alisa says:

1. My married name is Sheriff and my maiden name is Copp, and I kept both so I am a Copp Sheriff. Also my father is a police officer so yes, he’s Officer Copp. Not amusing when you’re in grade school and every boy I’ve crushed on since I could write my name only greets by chasing me in circles making siren noises.
    2. I’m 5’10 and 1/2 (NOT 5’11″!! Chastity Virginia was my girl!) and although I do love being tall, secretly I do long to be vertically challenged where I can wear a ridiculously high heel and not look like a Sasquatch call girl. Also, I’m tired of standing in the back row for pictures. I want to stand up front!
    3. The book that got me hooked on romance was SEP’s Kiss An Angel. Found it in my mom’s closet when I was in high school and I’ve been obsessing over unrequited love and broody heroes ever since.
    4. I have a food addiction/obsession. If I had to choose between receiving a million dollars or a lifetime supply of cheesecake, let me tell you, it would be a hard discussion.
    5. My favorite color is red.

11. luckylibbet says:

Five facts you may not know about me:

1 – I sew all my own clothes – well, not underwear, at least not yet.

2 – The only TV show I’ve ever been addicted to was LOST. Still looking for my LOST replacement.

3 – True story! I witnessed Santa Claus get arrested for pimping. Macy’s San Francisco, I think 1986. I was the store manager on duty, yikes. We stopped using a Santa service after that and interviewed and hired our own Santa.

4 – I met my husband in 1979 as a sophomore in college, but we didn’t start dating until 1983, when we had a second chance at love. We married in 1987 and recently celebrated 25 years.

5 – My first “real” job, at age 14, was bill collector. My neighbor down the street ran an agency part time and hired me to telephone people asking for payment. Learned some amazing cuss words! I didn’t mind, as it paid double babysitting.

- Heather

12. Suzanne says:

Ooh five things not common knowledge.
    1)My middle name is my maternal grandmother’s, Carmen Ruiz.
    2)I wrote poetry in my teen and college years.
    3)I like baking, even though I am not much of a cook
    4)I am studying mesoamerican cultures and not for a class. I enjoy learning ancient cultures.
    5)I am learning how to make my own aromatherapy blends.

13. Elizabeth Crawford says:

1. I named my oldest daughter after Jessica Rabbit.
    2. I once met Al Jardine of the Beach Boys.
    3. You can fool around in a KarmenKhia.
    4. I would rather read a book than anything else.
    5. I am know going over to the dark side and getting an I-Phone.

14. Phyllis says:

1. I learned as a senior in high school that I was named (anachronistically, if you will) because of my father’s ex-girlfriend, whom he was dating before he started dating my mom exclusively. My dad is about a million miles from being a “player.”
    2. I drive a 14-year-old car that gets better mileage than most current models (and it’s paid for!) and though we need one with more legroom in the back, I am loth to give it up.
    3. Blue is my favorite color. My daughter keeps trying to sway me to the beauty of pink.
    4. I’m cold all the time.
    5. I’m 5’9″ and hated being the tall girl and really resented the little and cute girls, even when they were my friends.

15. Dawn Aragon says:

1. I don’t have a middle name
    2. I love romance novels. Surprisingly not everyone knows this about me.
    3. I’m a procrastinator posing as a Type A personality
    4. I didn’t want to have children until I met my husband.
    5. I wish I could have my own house adjacent to the one the rest of my family lives in. This way I wouldn’t have to share the couch, tv, computer… lol

16. Kelli says:

1. I’m really good at trivia: bar trivia, Trivial Pursuit, Jeopardy, etc.
    2. I often play little word games in my head just for fun/when I’m bored. Example: I’ll be sitting in a restaurant and see a word on a sign and I’ll challenge myself to see how many other words I can make out of it.
    3. I love all animals but especially dogs.
    4. I absolutely love to eat! I have a ridiculous sweet tooth.
    5. I read extremely fast, so I can plow through books very quickly. I still enjoy them, but I finish them so fast that people often don’t believe I actually read them cover to cover.

17. Quilt Lady says:

1. I go by my middle name, don’t care for my first name.
    2. I have one child that is grown now but still lives at home.
    3. I have two sister’s and that is all that is left of my family
    4. My father had ten other sister’s and brother and my mother only had one brother.
    5. I love eating junk food mostly sweets and that’s why I have always been over weight but I can’t seem to leave it alone.

18. Patti says:

ok I will play

1. I worked at a race horse farm in my teens and have a bridal and other items still hoping one day to own a horse.

2. My great great grandfather manufactured luxury automobiles. (Jay Leno owns one!)

3. I like to use tuna salad as a dip for Doritos.

4. I can touch my nose with my upper lip if I pucker up real big.

5. I live and work in the Finger Lakes area so am extra excited to see how Kristan has put her creative spin on the area.

19. Corinne Bridges says:

Holy cow….five things…

1. I have to watch scary movies either during the day or with someone.
    2. I got suspended from high school for 3 days for fighting….the girl?? I am now friends with..
    3. I snore worse than any guy & can fall asleep at the drop of a hat.
    4. I am scared to death of snakes.
    5. I would have LOVED to have been a “Motorcycle Mama” when I was younger..

20. Five things, hmm?
    1. I hate making phone calls
    2. I really like brussels sprouts
    3. I hate the smell of tuna
    4. My role model is Miss Piggy
    5. There is a pincushion on the shelf in front of me and I have no idea why it’s there.

21. Emmanuelle says:

you babysat your 25 first cousins, you’re a saint !
    5 facts mmm….

- I collect note pads from every hotel I visited… not that I wnated to collect them in the first place but apparently things got out of hand and now I havea good bunch of them and I can’t even bring myself to use them !
    - I was a stocker in 5th and 4th grades. Was in love with a boy named Alexandre in another class. I managed to get his schedule so I could just “happen” to be in his way everyday,
    - I’ve had 3 fishes in my life and manages to kill them in a matter of days… I’m the last person too ask if you need help with your pets,
    - I watched the movie Point Break with Keanu Reeves (my 15 yo self’s crush) 67 times… even now I remember most lines by heart
    - Whem asked what person I’d love to have dinner with (you know in polls and such) I always answer “romance writer”. People are always intrigued.

1. Emmanuelle says:

of course I meant I was a STALKER and not a stocker :???:

1. like to eat
    2. like candy
    3. don’t like the cold
    4. only like books with HEAs
    5. don’t like cliffhangers

23. Michelle Reynolds says:

1. I legally changed my middle name to my maiden name when i got married. Not only because my middle name was boring but because i wanted to keep my fathers name.

2. I am REALLY afraid of birds.

3. I’m allergic to the sand at the beach but I love the ocean.

4. My husband makes me laugh everyday, sometimes “at him” but most of the time “with him”.

5. I talk to my dog as if she is one of the kids, often asking her opinion. She never has anything to say but i get “looks” like she understands me.

24. katydid1002 says:

5 things hahaha….

1) I know how to do a pregnancy check on a cow. (I do not use this skill frequently since I work as an ER nurse lol)
    2) I have 160 close friends I’ve never met. (I belong to a mom group through Facebook and talk daily to the majority of the women there, which is more than some of my family)
    3) After 6 years as an emergency room nurse, I still cry sometimes when I have patients who pass away. (The young, the truly loved, and those that are all alone always get me)
    4) I dance and sing in my bathroom every morning after my shower before I get dressed. (It’s quite a sight, I promise)
    5) My dad nicknamed me kadiddlehopper as a kid after a show that was on at the time. I think he got tired of the mouthful because he quickly shortened it to katydid, which I still get called frequently. (And always use as my screen name) :)

25. Robin says:

1. Thursday is my favorite day of the week.
    2. I hate celery.
    3. I know how to make covered buttons for upholstered furniture.
    4. I used to be really, really skinny.
    5. Don’t like sad movies.

26. Nikki H says:

1. My parents owned a dairy until I was 5, in 1959.
    2. I danced as a go-go girl for a band in jr. high for a talent show.
    3. I was a certified midwife in college for 1 year as a project for my public health class.
    4. I don’t like mushrooms.
    5. I’m enjoying my first year of retirement (with my husband) after teaching for 34 years, and it’s an amazing, wonderful experience.

27. dolfinlady17 says:

ok here goes:
    1: I love to walk and read at the same time
    2: I would rather listen to tv than sit and watch it
    3: I wanted to be a backup singer for Bette Midler
    4: I don’t have a passport
    5: I love ironing!

28. Patsy T says:

1) My husband is much younger than me… :oops:
    2) I lived many many places while growing up including Madrid, Spain for 3 years. Most people think I am only from Montana. :cool:
    3) I am the oldest of 8 and a LOT of us are girls :???:
    4)While working for the phone company I was able to be one of the first women in a couple of jobs traditionally handled by men. I enjoyed the challenge. ;-)
    5) I would rather read than do most anything. I get totally lost in the stories. :roll:

29. Vicki P says:

1. I was in a horse club in high school and showed my horse in competitions.
    2.The Laura Ingalls Wilder books were a favorite series of mine while in elem. school.
    3.My high school band (of which I was a member) marched in the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day parade.
    4.i worked for 13 different principals in my 35-year teaching career!
    5.My mother used any opportunity to get me hooked on books, took me to the library often and read to me every night!

30. I’ve really loved reading all these! Thanks to everyone for playing (and keep it up, if you haven’t posted yet!). xox Check back on Sunday for the winner!

31. Kathryn in Montreal says:

Well, certainly some interesting facts about your readers… let me join the fray…
    1. I am named for my grandfather’s younger sister who died as a teenager of diphtheria
    2. I am afraid of teeth… the dentist is an agonizing experience for me, every time, and I never looked at, wiggled or pulled out any of my four children’s teeth
    3. I could easily be a crazy cat lady (and I do like dogs, just not as much as cats)
    4. Daylilies are my favourite flowers… all shapes, sizes and colours
    5. I only eat Smarties in even numbers… ie two or three on each side of my mouth…

32. Kathy Rando Giannone says:

1)I have 2 middle names: Aurora (my mom’s name) from birth & Giovanna (feminine form of my grandfather’s name, for confirmation.)
    2)I legally performed a marriage ceremony.
    3)I met MY GUY online. We’ve been together now for 12+ years.
    4)I started college at the age of 54.
    5)I like doing & learning how to do home maintenance.

33. thea says:

I’m pretty boring so I’m really reaching here:
    1) my first job was at a furniture store dusting furniture. omgoodness – most boring job ever
    2) I never sleep next to walls because my Uncle John told us scary stories about the man in the wall.
    3) I married the same man twice (don’t ask)
    4) I once saw Peter Gallagher (While You Were Sleeping) in NYC at Lincoln Ctr steps. Even more handsome in person.
    5) In college I took a civil service exam and fell asleep (yeah, out the night before). Out of 40 classmembers, I was one of two that passed. Teacher was amazed cause I was worst student in class. That test lead me to a job at Sing Sing Prison. Which was a pretty interesting job and I met Joan Baez and Bruce Springsteen, Richard Conti and John Cheevers.

34. Ada H says:

Hmmm, 5 things, eh?

1. Went to school (university) got a degree but none of the jobs I’ve ever had including my present one has anything to do with my degree.
    2. My sister is 4 years older than me but we’re more like twins because we always finish each others thoughts/sentences :razz:
    3. Once as a kid, my parents drove off without me because I was so short, neither saw me standing by the door of the car waiting for them to open it for me :cry:
    4. I nearly drown in 7th grade when a friend tried to teach me to swim on a school outing
    5. I have an irrational fear of stickers. :oops:

35. 1. I know every word to every song in Les Mis, which essentially means I know the entire stage production by heart. 2. I am dyslexic and decided to write to prove to myself I could overcome my disability. 3. I have a corgi named Samantha and a pound kitty named Ruby Marie. 4. It took me three years to finish my first manuscript; one year to finish my second; six months to finish my third (It won RWA’s Golden Heart under the title of The First Kiss and it was published by Harlequin Next as Sisters in June 2006. 5. I can’t write to music with words. It has to be instrumental.

36. Heather E says:

1. I always wanted to grow up and have 3 boys so my dad could take them fishing. He only had me and my sister so I thought 3 boys would be fun for him. I am SOOOO glad I only had 2 boys and that my little angel was a girl at last. Another boy would have done me in.
    2. My step-daughter couldn’t be more my daughter even if I had her myself. I love her and we are blessed to have her in our family. She will be 19 this coming weekend and I’ll probably cry.
    3. I secretly think my parents would be better off if they got divorced. They’ve been married 45 years and I think one of them will end up killing the other (only half kidding).
    4. I just turned 40 and I often have anxiety attacks thinking that my life is over and I missed it (I know, I know I’m crazy).
    5. I love going on vacation without my kids! Doesn’t happen often, but when it does I love not having to pack for 6! Of course I miss them terribly and cant wait to get home. :)

37. Kirsten says:

1) I used to be addicted to watching Robin Hood. If somebody catched me watching it, I said: I just love archery. Which I do but… It was the outfits really ;D

2) I secretly DID wanna marry my American boyfriend. Even though I said I did not, to my best friends. He just never asked me & then dumped me. Instead of the other way round. I guess I fibbed about that.

3) I’m scared of clowns. The fake painted on smiles and massive shoes freak me out.

4) I name my plants and sometimes talk to them. Tell them they are doing great & that I would love for them to give me some flowers. Don’t normally tell people, afraid I get weird looks.

5) I’m trying to write a romance novel. I don’t think I’m very good at it, but I like the idea. Got a lot of comments and why bother’s. “There are plenty of good books around…” But I keep dreaming.

38. Jen D. says:

1. I grew up on an apple orchard. You know Bubba in Forestt Gump? That’s me with an apple.

2. I’m deathly afraid of mice. When I was 12, I was mowing the grass around an apple tree when I stepped on a nest of baby mice, and I heard the crunch. Now, when I see one, I’m halfway across the room, standing on a chair, squealing, faster than you can blink.

3. I abhor shopping. I’d rather just open my closet and find the clothes I want by magic.

4. I once met Martha Stewart while climbing a mountain in Maine. She was rather crabby.

5. My personal library is now bigger than the public library I grew up with in my small town. I don’t know whether to be proud or embarrassed by this fact. ;)

39. Belinda Mansfield says:

1. I act like nothing bothers me but I am overly sensitive.
    2. I think I can sing.
    3. I want to write
    4. I am a romantic
    5. I seriously HATE housework, I do it and I do a fairly good job but I would like to go back in time and slap someone up beside the head who decided it was ‘woman’s work’. No, he can’t help me because he won’t do it right :oops:

40. Emily says:

1. I have two middle names- my mother thought I was the last child and therefore had to pack in both grandmothers. Little did she know my youngest brother would come along 6 years later.
    2. I once auditioned for the American Ballet Theatre school. I made round 2 but didn’t get in
    3. I read the entire children’s and young adult section in my small town library in the 3rd grade. The librarians made me a plaque.
    4. When you google my first&last name, I’m the only person that comes up.
    5. I read over 500 books this summer on my kindle.

41. Melody May says:

1. When I was 22 I went on a road trip with BF and survive to tell tale.
    2. In fourth grade I got chewed out by the teacher, because I needed help. The principal interrupted class time.
    3. I played the oboe my senior year and wish I had an oboe.
    4. I played strip poker with a football player in high school, but chicken out when I started losing a couple rounds.
    5. When I was pregnant with my son and got the urge to read romance novels again.

42. Tanya says:

1. The ending of The Horse Whisperer made my 18-yr old self so mad I still refuse to read or watch anything written by Nicholas Sparks.
    2. I have a grudge-holding problem. (Nicholas Sparks says, “Yeah, no shit lady.”)
    3. Mascots and clowns terrify me. Disney World is my nightmare.
    4. Hearing other people chew their food drives me crazy. Those Hardees commercials were horrible!
    5. I write entire books but don’t let anyone read them because I’m a big wuss. ;-)

43. donnas says:

1. I have neither read nor seen Gone with the Wind.
    2. I have though read all of Stephen Kings novels.
    3. I have 2 cats and love them but really do want a dog.
    4. At least twice a week I come up with what to me sounds like a great story but never write anything down.
    5. I dont sleep nearly as much as everyone around me thinks I do.

44. Ann s. says:

1. I was an exchange student, I lived in Germany.
    2. I learned to read in kindergarten.
    3. I got an application to be a flight attendant, but never filled it out.
    4. I detest people who spit.
    5. I am the shortest person in my family, and I am 5’7″

45. brandy morrison says:

1. I have Turner’s Syndrome.Which means, I have a missing chromosome, that occurs only in females.
    2.I share the same middle name as my mom, ‘Lynn’
    3.I learned to read in Kindergarten and have been reading since.My first loved authors were Ann M. Martin, author of ‘The Babysitter’s Club series.’ And Lurlene McDaniel Tween author (around the 80′s), of books like ‘Too Young To Die’, and 6 Months To Live’
    4.I dislike the foods MOST PEOPLE LIKE; ie; olives, and rye bread.
    5. As a toddler/preschooler I was obsessed with ‘The Muppet Show’. Especially Miss Piggy…So, my Uncles nicknamed me…Miss Piggy…My family now calls me, Brandooley.

46. Linda Deline says:

Five facts? ohhhh …
    1. In spite of what people see today, I am shy.
    2. I need time to be alone for awhile every day.
    3. I have over 500 unread books and I’m still unable to pass up buying more. I’m afraid to be left with nothing to read.
    4. I cannot image life without my husband, kids/grandchildren, and pets…both cat and dog.
    5. I am a thyroid cancer survivor.

47. I’ve been browsing on-line greater than three hours these days, but I by no means discovered any interesting article like yours. It’s lovely price enough for me.
    In my opinion, if all webmasters and bloggers made excellent
    content as you probably did, the net shall be much more helpful than ever before.