Nancy Robards Thompson
Nancy Robards Thompson

Jaunty Post

I read a bittersweet news story a while back. It was about a couple, who had been married for 72 years and how they died within an hour of each other… holding hands.  Even their kids said that while they were sad to lose both parents, they couldn’t imagine one living on without the other. Sounds like a love story, doesn’t it?

Apparently, a lot of people believe in the power of true love…or at least that true love exists. Nearly 90,000 people responded to a poll that accompanied the news story. It asked if they believe in true love. A whopping 63, 411 people (71%) said, “Yes, I’ve found it;” 19,781 people (22%) said, “Yes, I’m still looking;”  2,206 (2%) said, “No, I don’t believe;” and 3,386 (4%) said they weren’t sure.

Here at the Jaunty Quills, talking about true love is sort of like preaching to the choir. Still, even though we’re all fans of romance, how would you have answered that poll?

12 thoughts on “Do you believe in true love?

1. My answer would be: Yes, I’ve found it! :)

2. Connie Fischer says:

I am answering with an resounding: YES! I’ve been married to my true love for 46 years and he is my best friend. We have so much fun together, do everything together and share everything. We worked together during our careers at NASA, part of the time in the same building, just across the hall from one another. My husband’s secretary would laugh as we got to the top of the stairs and my husband would pretend to unhook the ball and chain before he went into his office. Patience and humor are key to a long and lasting marriage. To quote my old grandfather: I wouldn’t trade him for an old mule! :smile:

3. Sandi in OH says:

Yes, I believe. I have been married 44 years. We do everything together.

4. RobynDeHart RobynDeHart says:

YES! It took me a while to find my soulmate, but I’m so happy I did. We’ve almost been together 9 years and they’ve been the happiest and hardest of my life.

5. Yes! I’ve found it! True love and true friendship in one wonderful (and sometimes very frustrating) package.

6. Oh, yes indeedy. I’ve been married 21 years to McIrish, and I love him more each year. He’s my best friend. I think I’m going to call him right now!

7. CateS says:

Yup… am living proof that it exists..

8. Ann s. says:

I absolutely believe it, I have been married to a wonderful guy for 28 years. I couldn’t imagine life without him.

9. Nikki H says:

Totally believe. We’ve been married 38 years and still laugh a lot and love a lot.

10. I’m not surprised that it’s unanimous: we all believe in true love! I loved hearing your stories of soul mates and long-lasting marriages. Thanks for your comments! :)