My kids are older now. They’re not screeching into our bedroom at 5 am on Christmas morning any more. Quite the reverse – for the past few years, we’ve had to wake them in order to get our Christmas day going. And now that they all live on their own, my hubby and I establish a time for everyone to arrive (12 noon – so they can sleep in) and then we have brunch together.

For the past couple of years, I’ve made something that requires advance planning. The recipe calls for 5 cups of cooked, cubed turkey, which means I have to roast a turkey in order to get the leftovers. So we have a turkey dinner a few days before Christmas, after which I cut up the turkey so it’s ready for Christmas morning. The rest is simple … in a complicated way. First, you need a cast-iron skillet (which I bought especially for this recipe). You melt some butter in the skillet, then add a couple of onions (chopped up) and chopped celery. Well, here… let me give you the ingredients:

3-4 TBS unsalted butter
2 large yellow onions, finely chopped
4 large celery stalks with leaves, finely chopped
2 large baking potatoes, peeled, cubed (I use 3 or 4 for my family)
2-3 TBS olive oil if needed
1/2 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 TBS rubbed sage
1 tsp dried thyme or 1 TBS fresh thyme leaves
Salt and pepper to taste
2 lb cooked turkey cut into cubes (about 5 cups)
About 1 cup chicken or turkey stock
12 eggs

After you’ve cooked the onion and celery, add the potatoes and saut√©¬†them until they’re lightly browned (5-6 minutes). Add the turkey cubes and all the spices, and mix well. Then add the broth and bring it to a boil. Put the whole thing into the oven and bake uncovered until the potatoes are done – about 20 minutes.

Now you make 12 little “nests” into the mixture with the back of a spoon. (It helps if you make the nests go all the way down to the hot pan). Break an egg into each nest and season them with salt and pepper. Return the pan to the oven and continue to bake until the eggs are set, 6-8 more minutes.

To serve, just bring the skillet to the table and use a spatula to transfer the nests to the plates.

Everyone LOVES this dish! It’s savory and delicious and goes with all kinds of drinks – even beer. (One of my sons is a “foodie” and is into special designer beers these days, so he chooses a hearty brew and serves some of it with this meal).

One thing, though – I find the eggs don’t cook in the 6-8 minutes the recipe says. I end up turning on the broiler for a couple of minutes at the end, just to make sure the eggs finish cooking.

Do you have a favorite holiday recipe? Share it with us and I’ll pick one cook to receive a copy of The Warrior Laird, my latest book from Avon.

I hope you all have a very Happy New Year!

9 thoughts on “A Special Holiday Brunch

1. Connie Fischer says:

No particular holiday recipe as it’s just my husband me these days, however, yours looks delicious and hardy!

Happy New Year to all the lovely ladies at the Jaunty Quills! You are my favorite daily haunt!

You only think those early mornings are over, Margo. Just wait until your kids have kids! Let’s see, I think I had eggnog and a banana…

3. Stefanie D says:

I don’t have a favorite recipe and this year I decided to be lazy and just enjoy New Year’s day. So I bought some snacks that go in the oven while we have a glass of wine and get comfortable in the living room. :mrgreen:

4. Hey Connie – we love to see you here every day, too!
    Stefanie – your idea on snacks is great! I’m saving that idea for next year. :-)
    Shana – eggnog and a banana sounds pretty good!

Looks really good – I love the idea of eggs on top! I use to make Flemish pancakes which is basically butter, flour and eggs which rises like a souffle and you top with syrup. I don’t have the exact ingredients anymore but I’m sure you could find it online and it’s really easy. I’ve seen that you could add apples to but I’ve never made it that way. Happy New Year everyone!

Thanks for the recipe. Don’t have any special recipes.

7. Melody May says:

Surprisingly no, I don’t have a special recipe. Maybe next year.

8. Jo's Daughter says:

I tried out a new recipe yesterday & it became an instand new fav of mine. Oatmeal and Apple pikelets.

Mix in a large bowl: 1 cup self raising flour, 2/3 cups rolled oats, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon.

Make a well and mix in: 1 beaten egg & 1 1/4 cup of soy milk. Then add: 1 grated apple.

Cover and leave for 10 minutes. Heat some butter in a pan and bake the small pancakes a few at a time. Serve with a dusting of icing sugar. Enjoy :D

9. Wow, that made me so hungry! Thanks, Margo!