Cindy Kirk
Cindy Kirk

Jaunty Post

I’m having trouble getting into the Christmas spirit.  I just started shopping for gifts.  I only have a table top tree up and I haven’t even listened to any Christmas music!

I’m not sure if it’s because we haven’t had any snow yet (that may change– 5-10 inches predicted for today) but I’m afraid by the time the spirit hits me the holiday will be over.

So, I’m asking for your help.  Could you give me a tip on what I can do to get in the Christmas spirit…before it’s too late?

You’ll be entered into a drawing to win a book if you give me some help.  PLEASE.

40 thoughts on “Call me Scrooge….

1. Trisha says:

I agree! It’s hard down here in the South to feel Christmas-y when I’m wearing shorts!:cool:

But, what I do is get out the hot chocolate maker, put on a festive Santa hat, pop in White Christmas in the DVD player, and help my son make some homemade Christmas decorations.

It’s hard not to feel festive after that!

2. Cindy Kirk Cindy Kirk says:

Trish,

I think I need to get out those Christmas CD’s that I love so much (I adore Kenny G) and let the music wash over me.

A hot chocolate maker??? Sounds interesting…and delicious.

1. Trisha says:

Hot chocolate maker is WONDERFUL. No more burned pots, or spilled over milk trying to heat it in the Microwave. You can even do add ins to make it more, well, spirited! :mrgreen:

This is the one we have

I sound like an informercial! LOL

1. Cindy Kirk Cindy Kirk says:

Trisha,

I went out and Walmart doesn’t sell them anymore! AACK. But I’m sure Amazon does. It sounds fabulous. Thanks for the tip!

3. governess4hire says:

I live in Alabama, so I can definitely understand the whole “getting into the spirit”. I have to agree with Trisha. Put on “White Christmas” or even “It’s a Wonderful Life”. Better yet, watch the hilariously funny “National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation”. I laugh every single time I watch that movie.

Gingerbread men are rather festive for the season. ;) Pies, cookies or cakes could put you in the mood.

Christmas music–yes! Whip out some Bing Crosby or some of the older versions of Christmas tunes. I happen to love the older versions of Christmas songs more so than what singers put out today.

I also love to read Christmas romances this time of the year. Who doesn’t love a good romance? Hallmark Channel also has a lot of movies playing this time of the year.

Good luck and I wish you and yours a very Merry Christmas and wonderful New Year ahead.

1. Cindy Kirk Cindy Kirk says:

I’m going to try to find National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation. I LOVE that movie…and I know my husband would sit down and watch it with me.

I wish I did have the Hallmark channel…because I’d love to watch a good Christmas romance.

Thanks so much for the wonderful suggestions. :)

2. Cindy Kirk Cindy Kirk says:

I went out to Amazon and order National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation. I should have it by the 21st!

3. Trisha says:

I’m in Louisiana now, and moved down here from PA (Northern), so I’ve had to learn to adapt! Though it is nice to wear shorts in December and grill up some meat on the BBQ.

4. eap says:

watch christmas movies Holiday Affair and It Happened on 5th Avenue The Apartment is always a good one to watch between Christmas and New years/ The Plot Monkeys blog site also has a post today about how one comment can help raise money for water so post a comment to help somene else. That makes me feel more in the Christmas spirit.

1. Cindy Kirk Cindy Kirk says:

eap,

I’ve never seen The Apartment. I’m definitely going to check it out! And you’re right…helping others in any way brings the Christmas spirit forward!

5. Melody May says:

I would say, read a holiday book. Since we didn’t really decorate this year, I have been reading a lot Christmas books. Which has help. I also pop in Christmas movies. I would suggest Christmas Vacation or Elf those good ones to get y’all into the spirit.

1. Cindy Kirk Cindy Kirk says:

Melody,

I’m going to look through my TBR pile. Surely there’s a Christmas book lurking there somewhere. Right??

Thanks for the suggestions!

6. Trisha says:

Oh, we also consider “Die Hard” a Christmas movie in my house.

7. CateS says:

Simmering Christmas Scents:
    Ingredients
    2 cinnamon sticks or 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1 tablespoon whole cloves or 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
    1 vanilla bean or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 orange peel, quartered (fresh cranberries are also great to add as well)
    1 whole nutmeg or 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    2 cups water

Directions
    1.Place water into a small saucepan. Add cinnamon sticks, cloves, vanilla bean, nutmeg and orange peels. Turn heat to medium until water starts to boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer as long as desired. Check water level every 1/2 hour that you have simmering. Water needs to be added as needed. Do not let water evaporate. Use potpourri for 2 days (adding additional water as necessary) then discard and make a new batch.

Makes 2 cups potpourri

1. Cindy Kirk Cindy Kirk says:

Cate,

Thank you so much for sharing this. Scents bring back all sorts of memories…so THANK YOU!!

8. Cindy Kirk Cindy Kirk says:

Just an update…I took everyone’s suggestion about music and while I’m working on my current project I put on http://www.KLOVE.com and am listening to their Christmas channel. I admit, with your comments buoying me, I’m starting to feel more festive.

Once the rain we’re getting changes to SNOW (7-11 predicted with blizzard conditions), I’m sure it’ll feel even more like Christmas.

But, I’d love even more suggestions and comments. You guys are so great!!

I’ve had a hard time this year too. I’ve finally finished most of my shopping which helps and the cards went out yesterday. My daughter had her tree trimming party last week and mine isn’t until this Sunday so I have no decorations up yet!!! And my husband hates Christmas songs so I haven’t heard any yet. He just decided to do some home projects before the party and is driving me crazy! Maybe that snow that’s due will get me in the mood :)

10. Cindy Kirk Cindy Kirk says:

catslady,

It’s so good to know I’m not alone. I have very little decorations up this year…perhaps that’s part of the problem.

Our snow has just started to fall (right on schedule). We haven’t seen any since last February (a record for our town)…and that may be part of it too. When you live in a climate where Christmas is usually associated with cold and snow and you don’t have any…well, it makes a difference. But personally, I like not having icy and snowpacked roads.

11. Jane says:

Hi Cindy,
    I saw Elf this past weekend and it did give me a little Christmas spirit that’s been missing. I think listening to Vince Guaraldi’s A Charlie Brown Christmas will help, too.

12. Cindy Kirk Cindy Kirk says:

Jane,

Another vote for Elf….I haven’t watched it since it originally came out. I’m sure I have an old copy around here. I’m definitely going to check it out.

How about watching some Christmas movies or baking cookies?

14. Cindy Kirk Cindy Kirk says:

bn,

Both good suggestions. Thanks! I think my favorite cookies are decorated and frosted sugar cookies. Yum.

15. Mozette says:

I’m finding it hard to get into the Christmas Spirit too… my little budgie died on 8th, December – just when she was getting better after taking a stroke on 1st, December. She died from heart failure in my hands.

I really don’t feel like celebrating anything and feel like crawling into a deep dark hole and telling the world to go away… but I’m not.
    I’ve bought everyone their presents, wrapped them and did up the house. I’ve tried listening to Christmas Carols, but my Little Miss Stevie loved them all, so I can’t right now without crying my eyes out.

This year, I’ve been a little more generous; however, I’ve also been a lot quieter.

16. Cindy Kirk Cindy Kirk says:

Oh, Mozette. I’m so sorry. Losing Miss Stevie had to be hard, and I do believe it’s somehow worse when a loss occurs around a holiday (when everyone expects you to be happy and cheerful).

Give yourself time to grieve.

I know if we were there we’d all give you a big hug…

Hang around with some little kids. Baby Galen is so excited she can hardly stand it. She sings Christmas songs non-stop, talks about Santa and Jesus, and asks when it will snow (um, never). Little kids really show us the spirit of Christmas

1. Cindy Kirk Cindy Kirk says:

Shana,

You’re right…there is something about little kids and the Christmas spirit.

18. Shanah says:

Watch Miracle on 34th Street (the original) and It’s a Wonderful Life this weekend. We usually watch these every year while decorating the tree, but didn’t this year for some reason.
    I agree with Shana about hanging out with little kids. I have a fleeting Christmas spirit this year, but my little one usually gets me back in the mood.
    Not sure what it is, but I know that I would like to focus more in the moment for awhile instead of doing all the thinking ahead.
    Merry Christmas, Everyone! Happy Hopeful Holidays!

1. Shanah says:

P.S. maybe a dose of A Christmas Carol with Alastair Simm would help. A few ghostly visitations? :grin:

2. Cindy Kirk Cindy Kirk says:

Shanah,

Maybe that’s my problem…I haven’t watched any of these classic movies. I’ll have to change that!

19. Terri Brisbin says:

Cindy -

I’m afraid I’m having the same problem this year — really not feeling the holiday spirit at all. Going to a holiday concert (Trans-Siberian Orchestra) helped but it didn’t really kickstart me yet….. I’ve even been watching Christmas movies on Lifetime and Hallmark, too.

1. Cindy Kirk Cindy Kirk says:

Terri,

The snow is falling now…so maybe that and all these fantastic suggestions will help me get in the mood…and you, too!

20. Ann s. says:

I live in California so I don’t know what a white Christmas is, we get a wet one or a sunny one. I decorate the outside of the house first, that way when I drive up I see how beautiful and festive it looks. That and eggnog and brandy always put me in the mood.

21. Cindy Kirk Cindy Kirk says:

Hmmm eggnog and brandy….I’ll definitely have to give that a try!

22. Cindy Kirk Cindy Kirk says:

Remember….winners are posted on Sunday…so check back then!

23. Kirsten says:

Surrounding yourself with xmas-cheer is bound to rub of some, I think.

I personally get into the spirit by inviting a friend or relative over. Have tea or lunch together & remember the good times (at Christmas) we had together. I also read cookbooks to get ideas for a holiday meal & love to watch holiday movies, at least two a week. I surround myself with my favorite Christmas romances and look at last years holiday pictures. :grin:

1. Cindy Kirk Cindy Kirk says:

Kirsten,

I love your suggestion about having tea or lunch with an old friend…and I really need to watch those holiday movies before the holiday is gone.

Thanks so much for the suggestions!

24. Na S. says:

Google “Christmas Puppies”. Aww so many adorable ones there. For me, I love hearing story about people helping out and giving back to the community. In my local news there is always a story or two that makes me think how lucky and grateful I am. Happy Holidays!

1. Cindy Kirk Cindy Kirk says:

Thanks for the google tip, Na. I’m a sucker for puppies (and kitties too) anytime.

You’re right, there are always some heart-tugging stories this time a year.

Happy Holidays to you, too!

25. Cindy Kirk Cindy Kirk says:

catslady, You’re the winner of my book that will be coming out in February. Contact me through my website and I’ll get it in the mail.

Sorry I’m so late posting the winner of the drawing. We did our family Christmas on Sunday and on today and time just got away.

Wishing you all a very Merry Christmas!