Cindy Kirk
Cindy Kirk

Jaunty Post

Because this is the time of year when it’s easy to put on a pound of two, I thought it might be fun to offer some helpful hints that will help all of us make it through the holiday season without gaining weight!

In no particular order:

1. Use the three-bite rule with dessert: have three small bites and put your folk down.

2. Clench your fists when you have a craving.  Research found that people were better able to control their impulses when they tightened a muscle for at least 30 seconds.

3. Counter stress eating with the 4-7-8 breath: inhale through your nose to a count of four, hold for a count of seven, then let go and exhale through your mouth with a whoosh for a count of eight.  Repeat four times.

4.  If you crave sugar, go to bed early.  When you’re tired, you crave sugar because your brain needs sugar to sustain itself.  So when you’re tired, one of the first symptoms is that you’ll look for something sugary to eat because you’re trying to stay awake.  So think of it that way, instead of “Oh, I’m so weak-willed.”

5. Take a 15-minute walk after each meal to burn a quick 100 calories

6.  Place the thumb and fingers of one hand on your forehead, a half inch apart.  Tap each finger one at a time, once per second, telling yourself, “hold on.” Wait 15-20 minutes and the craving will disappear.

If you offer up a suggestion, you’ll be entered into a drawing to win a book!  Winner will be posted on Sunday.

I’d REALLY appreciate your suggestions.

32 thoughts on “Making it through the holiday…

1. Stefanie D says:

Do not only eat meat or potatoes, but eat enough vegetables. They quicken your metabolism.
    Or just enjoy the holidays and eat a little less and a little healthier in January. :twisted:

Stefanie,

Good suggestion! I just had a sample at the grocery store of a couple of peppers. (I bought them)

Eat before you go to a party. That way you’re not hungry and circling the food table. Then stick with the carrot sticks and other veggies as snacks when you’re mingling.

Shana,

That’s a great suggestion. For me, going to a party hungry is definitely a recipe for disaster.

3. Ann s. says:

When at home to avoid snacking on that plate of goodies I knit. It keeps my hands busy and I don’t want to eat because I want to keep my yarn clean. The bonus is I have extra gifts to hand out that I made.

Ann,

I’ve thought about trying to learn to knit…perhaps the time is NOW.

4. Melody May says:

Drink lots of water. Easy to forget that with all those holiday drinks we indulge since they’re only around this time of year.

Melody,

Great suggestion!!

5. eap says:

Ask yourself before eating anything Am I really hungry

eap,

Good thought!! And one I need to pay attention to!

6. Rebe says:

Drink lots of water. Also, I highly recommend going for walks, although 15 minutes after each meal would be a lot. Maybe one walk a day? That seems much more do-able. Also, it makes it a LOT easier to deal with in-laws, especially if you’re cooped up in the house all day with them. Not that I’ve ever done that… *whistles*

1. Cindy Kirk Cindy Kirk says:

You’re right…one a day is better than none.

7. Shanah says:

If you’re hungry before you go to bed, drink a big glass of water. Yeah, you might have to pee in the middle of the night, but if you’re really thirsty, you actually feel hungry too. :D

Thank you for sharing these ideas, everyone. I enjoy ideas that don’t involve stressing over food.

Shanah,

I’ve been really trying to drink more water….but thanks for the suggestion about drinking before bed. Much appreciated.

8. governess4hire says:

Eat more multi/whole grains! I know a lot of people don’t like to eat bread because of carbs BUT multi/whole grain bread helps to fill you up and keep you from getting hungry. Here’s a recipe that can start your day off by filling you up (not to mention– it’s healthy for you)! ;)

Multigrain Pancakes with berry-maple syrup

Gov,

Thank you sooo much for the recipe!!!!

I have a small container of yogurt – really fills me up for a long time. Also, drink liquids. Water is best, of course, but I also drink black coffee and I mix concentrated cherry juice in water (antioxidants) and a nice glass of wine helps too :)

catslady,

I’m going to try the cherry juice in water. Thanks!

10. Connie Fischer says:

I usually like just fruit for breakfast, however, I find if I eat a boiled egg in the morning, it “sticks to my ribs” for most of the day. I don’t find myself famished for lunch or gnawing on my arm as dinnertime approaches.

In order to keep myself from snacking after dinner, I immediately go brush and floss my teeth. With clean teeth, I don’t want to eat something again. However, my evil twin does tend to raise a ruckus on occasion for something sweet, so that’s when I have to go one step further. I grab a piece of sugar-free peppermint gum and chew away! Sigh…Whatever it takes.

Connie,

Thanks for the suggestions. I’m going to do the extra teeth brushing thing. My hygenist will thank you!

11. CateS says:

Skip the alcohol at parties, drink water w/lemon or lime.. or carry your own individual packet of drink mix..

Cate,

I’m definitely going to try to get into the more water thing.

12. Kimh says:

No snacking at nite or sodas
    love food
    have s great week

Kim,

Ahhhh, snacking at night. Going to have to work on that one. lol

drink some water with slices of fruit

bn,

Water, water, water will be my mantra for December.

14. Barbara Elness says:

If you’re going to a party, bring a low cal dish to contribute, that way you know there’s at least one thing you can enjoy without guilt. If having a party, the same thing, make some low cal dishes as well as the standard ones, you’d be surprised how much everyone else will enjoy them too, especially those trying to keep from gaining during the holidays.

Barbara,

Making a low cal dish and bringing it to a gathering is a great idea!

15. Janie McGaugh says:

Use smaller plates!

Janie,

Thanks for the reminder about the smaller plates!!

16. Take a jar of Nutella with you to reduce the lure of the dessert table…oh, wait, that won’t work. But all of the above are excellent suggestions!

Kristan,

Do you know I’ve NEVER tasted Nutella? I picked it up at the store because I’d heard so many good things about its taste…but when I saw the calorie count I put it down.

I really don’t need one more thing to crave.