Because this is the time of year when it’s easy to put on a pound of two, I thought it might be fun to offer some helpful hints that will help all of us make it through the holiday season without gaining weight!
In no particular order:
1. Use the three-bite rule with dessert: have three small bites and put your folk down.
2. Clench your fists when you have a craving. Research found that people were better able to control their impulses when they tightened a muscle for at least 30 seconds.
3. Counter stress eating with the 4-7-8 breath: inhale through your nose to a count of four, hold for a count of seven, then let go and exhale through your mouth with a whoosh for a count of eight. Repeat four times.
4. If you crave sugar, go to bed early. When you’re tired, you crave sugar because your brain needs sugar to sustain itself. So when you’re tired, one of the first symptoms is that you’ll look for something sugary to eat because you’re trying to stay awake. So think of it that way, instead of “Oh, I’m so weak-willed.”
5. Take a 15-minute walk after each meal to burn a quick 100 calories
6. Place the thumb and fingers of one hand on your forehead, a half inch apart. Tap each finger one at a time, once per second, telling yourself, “hold on.” Wait 15-20 minutes and the craving will disappear.
If you offer up a suggestion, you’ll be entered into a drawing to win a book! Winner will be posted on Sunday.
I’d REALLY appreciate your suggestions.