Shana Galen
Shana Galen

Bring a Friend Friday, Jaunty Guests

Tags:

I love romance novels. Mysteries are really fun. Paranormals have always been super intriguing to me and I’m currently having a love affair with romantic suspense. So you can probably guess why I have trouble committing myself to writing in only ONE genre. They’re all so great. But when my agent suggested I write something about horses I said… “Ahhh, I don’t know.” I’m not sure why. Maybe because horses are so near and dear to my heart. I’ve owned, trained, and shown them most of my life. Growing up on a cattle ranch, you learn to ride or spend a lot of time chasing recalcitrant cows on foot. I preferred horseback. Still do. In fact, there’s nothing in the world I’d rather do than spend time with my equine friends. I’ve been showing pleasure horses for decades, but just recently I started riding in speed events such as barrel racing. It’s a thrill a minute…or more accurately, a thrill every 9 seconds. So you’d think I wouldn’t have been scared to WRITE about horses. But I think I was.

Now, however, after seeing my first horsie book in print, I’m so glad I took the leap. Finding Home is set on a cattle ranch in South Dakota. It’s about hope and grit, and the invincibility of the human spirit. Because I’ve taken in a few rescue horses over the years, it’s also about horses that worm their way into your heart and make your life better in the process. I’m not sure how so many needy teenagers worked their way into the plot. But I love each and every character with ferocious passion.

That’s not to say I won’t be writing something else soon. My wonderful readers keep asking for another Chrissy McMullen mystery. (Which is on the way, by the by. Really.) And after the third book in the Hope Springs trilogy, I’ll be writing a romantic suspense about kick ass military woman. Then there’s the werewolf/witch story I’m doing with my daughter. But for right now, I’m really enjoying living vicariously on a cattle ranch in the Dakotas.

Here’s a little blurb for Finding Home:

1 broken down mare

2 baby lambs

3 lost teens

And a busted up bronc rider with more balls than brains

It all adds up to trouble in Casie Carmichael’s book.  She’s come back to Hope Springs, South Dakota with only one thing in mind—selling the family’s tumble-down ranch and returning to St Paul and her very practical fiancé. But leaving isn’t as easy as she imagined, not when bedraggled strays desperately needing T.L.C. keep turning up on her doorstep.

Suddenly, angry parents, hairless goats and a former flame’s all-too-tempting seduction tactics aren’t Casie’s most pressing problems. Her own mixed-up heart is at the top of the list, and as she throws herself into making a safe haven of the Cowgirl Academy, she realizes she will be the first one to find her way home.

So what about you? What’s your favorite genre? I’m giving away an Amazon gift card to anyone kind enough to leave a comment.

Lois Greiman

Finding Home

37 thoughts on “Bring a Friend Friday: Lois Greiman

1. Laurie G says:

Over all I’d say historicals are my favorite closely followed by contemps. With all the subgenres I can find whatever suits my taste: Westerns, PRESENTS, BLAZE, suspense, inspirational. Currently paranormals are my least favorite.

I do like small town community based books.

FINDING HOME starting over I’d love to read how Casie finds her way back home.

Happy Holidays!

1. Lois Greiman says:

Thanks Laurie. I loved writing this book…and the next one (Home Fires)and I’m just starting the third, Finally Home. I hope you enjoy.

2. Sandi in OH says:

I read all genres. You definitely can’t call me a book snob. I just move from one genre to another at any given time. I absolutely love to read. I look forward to reading your book. It sounds interesting. Merry Christmas.

1. Lois Greiman says:

I’m right there with you, Sandi. When someone asks what my favorite book is I’m always flumoxed. (Is that a word?)

3. Snorted coffee at the description of your hero, Lois! The book sounds great, and I love cowboys (being female and all…). Good luck with everything!

1. Lois Greiman says:

Thanks Kristan. I love him soooooooooooooooooo much.

Welcome, Lois! I love historicals, not surprisingly. My second favorite is YA, but i also like contemporaries. It’s so hard to decide!

1. Lois Greiman says:

Thanks for hosting me this morning, Shana and company. You have a wonderful blog and fantastic readers.

5. I can’t think of a genre I DON’T like. When it’s got a good hook (which – yours sounds fab!) and great writing, I will keep on turning those pages! Can’t wait to read Finding Home.

1. Lois Greiman says:

Margo, thanks for stopping in. How are you feeling?

6. ellie says:

Thanks for this post. I enjoy suspense, and historicals. reading is my escape and fiction will do it each time.

7. Anne says:

Reading everything in sight since it transports me to another place and realm. I do enjoy contemporary novels and Westerns a great deal.

1. Lois Greiman says:

I love westerns, too. One of my early books, the Gambler, was just re-released as an ebook. Turns out I still love him. :)

8. Shanah says:

Thanks for sharing this post, Lois and Shana. My favorite genres are mystery and romantic suspense, but you covered all the bases in your genre list. I am adding your books to my To Read Tower.

I love South Dakota and horses and cowboys. What could possibly go wrong? With the bonus of hairless goats and lambs? I am there! :grin:

1. Lois Greiman says:

:) Thanks so much Shanah. I’m having a ball writing them. Although, I just minutes ago got back from a little horse trailering trip that was supposed to take three hours. I blew a tire on the interstate, had a little trouble with one of the horses…and…hummm, seriously…there WAS a goat involved in a rather oblique way…so I can think of a few things that can go wrong. My three hour trip took all day.

9. CrystalGB says:

My favorite genre’s are historical, paranormal, urban fantasy and contemporary.

1. Lois Greiman says:

I’ve always thought that paranormals were the quintessential fantasy. The Hobbit was my first favorite book. I’m so excited about seeing Peter’s Jackson’s new rendition.

10. Connie Fischer says:

I’m always drawn first to the regency romance section at the bookstore and then on to contemporary and, hopefully, some chicklit.

1. Lois Greiman says:

My Witches of Mayfair series combined regency romance with paranormal. Soooo much fun.

Have you read the Harry Dresden novels. Love those.

11. CateS says:

I love historicals, westerns, science fiction… not fond of the whole vampire thing..

1. Lois Greiman says:

Right!? Will vampires never die?? Oh, that’s right, they’re undead.

12. Rebe says:

I read most genres as well. The only exceptions would be thrillers or horror, because I’m a real wimp, lol!

I must admit historicals come first but I really love variety so I give them all a go and if I like a particular author, they can write in any genre and I’m sure I would enjoy it.

14. Chelsea B. says:

Honestly, any genre is good for me, as long as it has a good story, and a good romance :-)

Nice post. I like paranormals.

16. eap says:

historicals

17. Heather E says:

I’m all about the cowboys! I prefer contemporary western romances, but I’ll read historical ones too. I too have become obsessed with romantic suspense and I find I quickly get caught up in books that are part of a series. There aren’t many books I won’t read as long as I know they have a HEA at some point. I try to stay away from supernatural books just because there are so many books out there and I have to draw the line somewhere, otherwise I’d never get my housework done and my husband would wear dirty clothes to work. I am definitely adding Finding Home to my TBR list. It sounds perfect for me and I LOVE the title. :)

1. Lois Greiman says:

Thanks so much Heather. I hope you enjoy Home.

18. Ann s. says:

Right now it is historicals, but it varies. Sometimes I’m in the mood for a paranormal romance and sometimes I want a good mystery. I’ve been trying to branch out and try different genres, but that just leads to more book purchases, lol

19. Quilt Lady says:

Historicals are my favorite, but I sometimes read a little of everything.

20. Barbara Elness says:

I have too many favorite genres. :D I can’t seem to settle on just one. I love romance of course, but historical, paranormal, western, scifi, and contemporary all get a share of my reading time.

21. governess4hire says:

I love historicals. I do read contemporary but not as much. I love reading about Highlanders. Seriously, who doesn’t love a guy in a kilt?? ;-)

22. Sharlene Wegner says:

I love historical romance and contemporary romance. Also, I do read “chick lit” that aren’t catagorized as romance, but I always hope for the HEA! Thanks for the interview. Your book looks good!

23. Cindy Kirk Cindy Kirk says:

Sounds like a fabulous book, Lois! Thanks for visiting the Quills!

24. Terri Brisbin says:

Lois — glad you could join us today!

I’m still primarily a historical romance reader — about 90% of my reading is in that…..

25. Kimh says:

Love contemop s,romantic suspense is great hot erotics whoo congrats on book
    have a great week

26. Janie McGaugh says:

My favorite these days is urban fantasy romance.