Nancy Robards Thompson
Nancy Robards Thompson

Jaunty Post

Today, we’re trying something a little different here at the Jaunty Quills blog: Katherine Garbera and I are sharing today’s post. The two of us have final books in our most recent Harlequin Special Edition and Harlequin Desire series out this month and we decided to celebrate this with a co-blog.

Kathy Garbera: Nanc, it’s so much fun to be blogging together today!

Nancy Robards Thompson: It is, Kathy! I don’t know if the JQ community knows it, but the two of us have been friends for more than fifteen years. So, even though it was a fun surprise to learn that the final books in our series were both November books, we weren’t surprised to learn that both of our series feature food in some shape or form.

KG: My Harlequin Desire series Matchmakers, Inc. (READY FOR HER CLOSE-UP, A CASE OF KISS AND TELL, and CALLING ALL THE SHOTS) takes place on the set of Sexy & Single, reality matchmaking show for millionaires.

NRT: My Special Edition series, Celebrations, Inc. (and its books TEXAS WEDDING, TEXAS MAGIC and TEXAS CHRISTMAS) is set around a reality television show called “Catering to Dallas.”  It highlights the ins and outs of the Celebrations, Inc. catering company. Both of our books seem to be a celebration of food, Kathy!  Why am I not surprised? :)

KG: I’m not surprised at all, Nancy. You know what would be fun? Why don’t we have a virtual dinner party? If you could invite anyone as your dinner guest, who would it be?

NRT: Just one person?

KG: Yes, just one.

NRT: (tapping her temple thinking…) Well, let’s see… some of my candidates would be Audrey Hepburn,  John Lennon and Fitzwilliam Darcy… but I think the person I’d ask to our dinner party would be the writer Dorothy Parker, because she would definitely bring the sass and interesting conversation.  How about you, Kathy?

KG: Love that list, Nanc! Some of my candidates would be Dashiell Hammett, Stevie Ray Vaughan, and Sir Percival Blakeney…but for me it’s going to have to be Gabrielle “Coco” Bonheur Chanel.  She’s fabulously chic and I would love to have a chat with her.

NRT: I’m wondering who our JQ community would bring to dinner?

KG: This is going to be such fun. I can’t wait to see the guest list!

26 thoughts on “A Very Special and Desirable Dinner Party

I’d bring Julie Garwood. Maybe I could sit next to her and sort of off-handedly throw out some plot problems and see if she had any great ideas!

1. I love Julie Garwood. I think I’d just sit there and listen to her help you out! :)

2. I’d definitely have my big ears on when she started talking!

2. I’m bringing Bono, girls. My crush of 25 years! And put me down for pie. I make really good pies!

1. Yay Bono and pie. Color me happy!!!

2. I’d like a little Bono with my pie, please!

3. Connie Fischer says:

I’d like to bring author Karen Ranney. We have been friends for quite awhile now and I not only love her books, I love her fabulous sense of humor. Oh yes, I love to cook so tell me what you’d like to have and I’ll fix and bring it!

1. Connie–I don’t know Karen so it’d be a pleasure meeting her. And I’m sure we’d love anything you cooked! :)

2. Connie, it would be a pleasure to meet Karen! Please bring your favorite dish. What do you cook best?

4. Shanah says:

Oh, let’s see, I would bring David Bowie, but he would have to wear his Jareth costume from Labyrinth… :twisted: Can I bring two? For authors, I would try really hard to bring Mary Stewart, because she launched me into my passion for reading.

1. Yes!!! I love David Bowie. I think I’d just listen to him talk in his cool British accent. Mary Stewart was one of the first authors I read as well.

2. Shanah, when I first read your post, I thought you said MARTHA Stewart and I immediately panicked because, well, she’s the queen bee hostess. Then I realized you said Mary and I was so relieved. :) As for David Bowie, he’s welcome at my table any time – no matter what he wears. :)

5. RobynDeHart RobynDeHart says:

I’m going to go with Jane Austen. I’d love to chat with her about what she thinks about how far the romance genre has come.

1. Robyn–I agree it would be interesting to get her take on the genre but I’d also want to know what she thinks of society and if its changed as much as we think it has.

2. Fabulous choice, Robyn and great questions Kathy!

6. Kathleen OD says:

I would bring Beatrice Small.. I am sure the dinner converstaion would very very sassy…

1. I bet it would sassy indeed!

2. Beatrice and Dorothy Parker might bring all the entertainment we need!

7. CateS says:

Paul Newman…

1. Cate, I officially reserve the seat on the other side of Paul. Great choice!

8. Cindy Kirk Cindy Kirk says:

After touring the Biltmore recently, I’d bring Edith Vanderbilt…and encourage her to bring along George!

1. Cindy, thank you for bring the “class” to our party! :) Isn’t the Biltmore beautiful??

9. Mark Twain. He’s always been a favorite of mine.

1. Great choice, Margo! He’s so interesting!

10. Kathryn in Montreal says:

Just to throw a wrench into the party (because you never know what will come out of his mouth…) Steven Tyler. But I also would have loved to sit next to Princess Diana…

Congrats! Queen Elizabeth II