I’m one of those people who likes to think that she’s stress-free and that I have no worries. To be honest most of the time I can escape into “my world” which is full of characters who live exciting lives and I don’t really touch base in reality except with my family. I talk and laugh with them and try to insulate myself from the worries that go along with living.

When I am not in “my world” it is easy for me to be overwhelmed by the number of things that are out of my control. I had to try a new hair salon yesterday to get ready for my first ever romance writing conference in the UK and it was familiar and sort of comforting to smell the chemicals used for the hair dye. Silly I know.

I don’t like change. I don’t care that usually changes bring about something good and unexpected in my life. I like my routine.

I try to write characters that embrace change because each time I do I get a little closer to seeing something good that’s come from a major upheaval in my life. Willow in Calling All The Shots doesn’t like change and kind of hunkers down when things change around her whereas Jack rolls with. He even expects change because life has proven to him that it isn’t stable.

What about you? Do you like change or do you really like your routine? Has your life been nice and calm or do you always find yourself trying something new?

18 thoughts on “Ch Ch Ch Changes

1. Mia Marlowe says:

A friend of mine who works with special needs kids says there is a bit of autism in all of us that resists change. We like repetition. We crave patterns. That said, I’m always looking for another adventure…I just want everything to be comfy while I’m having it. ;-)

1. Mia–I’m a bit like you in that I like adventure but I want it on my terms like when I’ve planned for it!

2. Connie Fischer says:

Now, that I’m retired, I usually like to know what to expect with each day. However, I can be quite ready for impromptu things such as last minute dinner plans with friends. My husband and our children moved three times for his job during his career and I was eager to make these moves. We moved to Washington, DC and then to Paris two different times. Moving to Europe meant huge changes, but I took a deep breath and told myself that I could do it and I did! I feel as though I am a stronger person for jumping in and seeing where it took me. Life is too short to hide at home under the covers. :smile:

1. Connie–you sound very brave to me. Also, it seems you’ve had a very exciting life. One think I do like about moving around is the new people I get to meet.

3. Emily McKay says:

I’m like you, Kathy, I like stability. I’d be perfectly happy if nothing ever changed. :grin:
    But I know change is a part of life and I try not to get too paralyzed by it.

1. Emily–perhaps we should build a safe little bunker and hunker down in it???

4. I find change very uncomfortable! But I also recognize that sometimes it’s necessary, even when it doesn’t feel great.

1. Kristan–for me the changes that have made me the most uncomfortable have led to the rewarding new paths. But it was hard getting to it.

5. I do love my routines. Even when we go away for a vacation, I’m only good for a limited time – 10 days at most. Then I want my own bed, my own shower, my coffee pot, my kitchen, my dining room, my family room, my…. Well, you get the picture.
    It must have been tough for you to get used to living in the UK, Kathy!

1. Margo–the UK move was one of those things that sounded sort of fun but then when the reality hit was a lot harder than I thought it would be. I’m still adjusting and its been a year and a half. My family took to the change much quicker.

I like to know things ahead of time but it seems the younger generation likes to fly by the seat of their pants!! I guess I’m not the best at quick changes but I’m trying lol.

1. I agree! I’m not a seat of the pants person at all. My daughter (she’s 20) is impossible to pin down on plans she’s always like I’ll text them when we get there. What? Why haven’t you made plans yet???

I hate change. Hate it! It drove me nuts when my daughter was an infant because nothing she did was predictable and every other week she would change what she was doing. I have never been so stressed out in my life.

1. Shana–infants are so hard to plan around. I thought I’d have this serene motherhood when my kids were babies. I’d planned for it and then my daughter was colicky and I had a hard time breastfeeding. It was very difficult because it wasn’t at all what I’d pictured.

8. Ann s. says:

I definitely like stability. I don’t need drama in my life. I do wish I were a little more adventurous in trying new things, but I am happy with the familiar.

1. Ann–sometimes I think maybe I should try something new and then if I do it I’m like why did I think this was a good idea. I don’t like new things.

9. Quilt Lady says:

I don’t like change at all. I wish my life was calmer then it is. It just seems like lately there is always something going on and its just a bad time for things to happen.

1. I love being busy when I have time to make a list and manage it. And then when its over I like to sit back and pat myself on the back for having accomplished so much. :)