EmilyMcKay

Jaunty Post

Being a writer is the coolest job in the world. You probably think I’m going to talk about going to work in my P.J’s, right? Nope, not this time. (Though the P.J.’s are awesome.) No, the coolest thing about being a romance writer is that I get to hang with other romance writers. Personally (and I could be biased here), I think romance writers are the best people on earth (with the possible exception of romance readers). Romance writers are funny and loyal and generally decent human beings. We care about other people and we take care of our friends. Basically, we fans of romance totally rock.

The problem is sometimes we have to go out in the cold, cruel world and deal with other people. Mean people. Sometimes, even mean girls … oops, I mean women. Because, yes, sometimes grown women aren’t nice. There. I said it. This week, in my normal life, out there in the world not populated by romance fans, I had to deal with a mean girl all grown up. Tough stuff, man. Tough stuff.

Now, don’t get me wrong. I’m a big girl. I can take it. I can totally hold my own against the mean girls of the world. But I still felt bruised, hurt and generally harassed by the experience.

In that regard, I’m spoiled by the wonderful world of romance fans. Spoiled by my friends, who are fabulous.

Getting published was a life-long goal of mine. (I’ve known I wanted to be a writer  since I was seven.) Getting to hold my books in my hands … wow. I can’t describe how great that is. But the real gift that writing has given me is the best friends of my life.

14 thoughts on “Books and friends

1. Patti S. says:

I’ve only had the pleasure of meeting Sophie Jordan and Shana Galen, but they were both awesome! I agree that romance writers and readers are the best!

2. EmilyMcKay says:

Patti,
    Well, you don’t have to sell me there! Obviously, Shana is fantastic! Sophie’s pretty darn great too. In case anyone needs proof, last weekend I was at the Vegas Valley Book Festival and my book, The Farm was sold early just for that event. (Which was really stinkin’ cool!) Sohpie had her friend Terra Lynn Childs (who is also fab!) buy a copy so she could give it away to one of her many, many Twitter followers. How sweet is that?
    Writers are great! That’s all there is to it.

3. Connie Fischer says:

It has only been the last couple of years since I retired that I have finally had the time to get to know my wonderful author friends on facebook, via blogs, author websites and direct email. I can honestly say I have never been happier. It is true that romance authors are the nicest women ever. You ladies are happy, supportive of one another and generous not only to each other, but also to your readers who adore you. You make me smile, laugh, think and best of all, read – a lot. I have made several very good author friends with whom I chat very often, sharing little jokes and funny pictures. I am very protective of my author friends too. If I feel that one of you has been treated unfairly, I tend to become a tiger mother and I don’t hesitate to tell this person why they are wrong. I promote my author friends by telling other readers about each of you. I spend time every day chatting on blogs with my author friends. I want to thank you all so very much for making my life richer and for all of the hard work, “blood sweat and tears” you put into writing each and every one of your novels. I am a very grateful reader. Thank you all from the bottom of my heart.

1. EmilyMcKay says:

Okay, Connie, your response totally made me tear up! You are an awesome reader and we love you!!! Seriously, you are the best!

1. Connie Fischer says:

I didn’t want to make you tear up, my dear. I’m just being honest with how much I love connecting with you lovely ladies each day and reading your novels. My life is so richer. Thank you all! :smile:

4. Margo Maguire says:

I love my romance writer friends. They’re the only ones who actually “get” what I do. And romance readers are the best, too, appreciating the hard work and skill that go into writing a novel (of any kind!).

1. EmilyMcKay says:

And you know what’s really cool? (Margo turn away if you’re easily embarrassed.) It’s when you get to become friends with someone you read before you met them. I mean, I was a Margo Maguire fan long before we blogged together. And that’s just cool!

I agree! Some of my BEST friends are writers.

1. EmilyMcKay says:

And we’re all so much fun, too, right?
      I don’t think I could get through motherhood without other writer/moms!

Oh, I can’t imagine a world without writers and especially romance writers. I think most of you guys are the most generous and enjoyable people around!! As to mean girls/women – they get to me too. I realize it’s really their lack of self esteem that makes them put other people down but that doesn’t make it any easier when you’re their target.

7. EmilyMcKay says:

Catslady, yes! I think you’re totally right. It speaks to their lack of self-confidence. I will just remind myself of that the next time I have to deal with a mean girl!

8. Mozette says:

I find that writers, artists and musicians can all make great friends. We tend to be separated at school – for some insane reason – and when it comes to being in the real world, we all join as one big team; and it’s fun! And the best thing about all of us is that we don’t seem to age – it’s like we’re all big kids and we stay young. Been to my 20 year high school reunion and found that everyone had changed so much and yet, our shooting star, Kylie Lovejoy (who is in the music world as a bass player) and myself were the only ones who hadn’t changed a bit! How weird is that? And we both agreed that when we were old and grey we’d be the only ones in the nursing home who’d keep ‘em all awake on the weekends with rock’n'roll music :twisted:

Funny, eh?

9. Agreed! I think people who love romance have a more positive view of the world. And some of my best friends have been made through this community too, readers and writers both. xox!

10. CateS says:

Mean people are insecure people… who take out their insecurities on others..