Jaunty Quills
Jaunty Quills

Jaunty Post

Melissa Cutler here and I’m so excited to be on Jaunty Quills celebrating the release of Seduction Under Fire, my first Harlequin Romantic Suspense. Writing for Harlequin is a dream come true for me because I’ve been a Harlequin reader since I was a teenager, and one part of the process of publishing a book I was most excited about was writing the “Dear Reader” letter that appears at the beginning of all Harlequin series books.

Do you read the “Dear Reader” letters? I always do. These short letters written by the books’ authors directly to their readers discuss everything from research the author did or the author’s inspiration for the book, to juicy details about the hunky hero or a thank you to readers for their support.

I love the personal connection these letters give me to the story’s creator and find that, almost all the time, the letters enhance my reading of the story. Letter writing is such an art form in itself. The most recent letter I received was an email from a reader who enjoyed my other fall release, The Trouble with Cowboys. The last “snail mail” letter I received was in December 2011 from my Aunt Cindy, who wrote to tell me how proud she was of me for becoming a published author. I’ll treasure both of those letters forever.

When I got instructions from my Harlequin editor to pen my own “Dear Reader” letter, I busted out all the Harlequin books from my personal stash (and that’s a lot!) and read all the reader letters so I could get a feel for what I wanted to do.

What I finally decided was to talk to readers from my heart about my inspiration for Seduction Under Fire, which is directly related to the story’s sexy, arrogant hero, Aaron Montgomery. If you pick up the book, I hope you enjoy reading the letter I wrote to you, and I hope it enhances your reading of my “enemies to lover” action/adventure story.

And you know what else? I’d love to receive a letter from you too. My email address is cutlermail@yahoo.com and I promise that if you write to me, I’ll write to you back.

Let’s talk letters! I’d love to hear about a letter you received that’s special to you, or hear about the last “on actual paper” letter you wrote and sent. Leave a comment for a chance to win a print or digital copy of Seduction Under Fire (for international reader, paper only, anywhere Book Depository ships).

Seduction Under Fire is in stores now:

Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Seduction-Harlequin-Romantic-Suspense-ebook/dp/B008X47DAK/ref=tmm_kin_title_0

B&N: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/seduction-under-fire-melissa-cutler/1110926880?ean=9780373278008

Harlequin: http://www.harlequin.com/storeitem.html?iid=26937&cid=

From the back cover:

What’s worse? Being held hostage by a Mexican drug cartel or being held hostage by that cartel with the one man you passionately hate? Camille Fisher, a brainy, tough-as-they-come cop, can’t believe she’s daring to escape with her too-hot nemesis, Aaron Montgomery. But once she outsmarts their brutal captors, the danger’s just beginning.

Racing across the Mexican desert, Camille begins to glimpse the surprisingly decent man behind the boorish cad. With cartel hit men closing in, she tries hard to ignore her needful heart-and harder to resist the temptation threatening to do them both in….

My thanks to Jaunty Quills for hosting me today. I love hearing from readers and am really easy to find at www.melissacutler.net, on Facebook (www.facebook.com/MelissaCutlerBooks ), and Twitter (@m_cutler). And you can always sign up for my newsletter (http://www.melissacutler.net/?page_id=255 ) to find out about my latest books and upcoming events.

***

Melissa Cutler is a flip-flop wearing Southern California native living with her husband, two rambunctious kids, and two suspicious cats in beautiful San Diego. She divides her time between her dual passions for writing sexy, small town contemporaries for Kensington Books and edge-of-your-seat romantic suspense for Harlequin.

21 thoughts on “Melissa Cutler Wrote You a Letter

1. Hey, Melissa! So nice to have you here today! I still get paper letters once in a while, and I always write back, too…though I find my handwriting has deteriorated over the years, and I feel like a fourth grader, struggling over cursive! Good luck with the book! It sounds fantastic.

2. Sandi in OH says:

I can’t remember the last time I got a real letter. I saved all the letters from my husband’s brother when he was in the service. He wrote us two or three letters a week from Viet Nam. He wrote us more than anyone else. I use to write to my great aunt. Now I write one page stories and letters and send them to the grandchildren.

1. Hi Sandi,
      Those stories to the grandkids sound like treasures they’ll cherish forever. What a wonderful idea. My mom writes letters to my kids a lot, and gave them each a fancy treasure box to store them in. Every now and then on rainy days, we look through the box.
      Thank you so much for stopping by the blog and leaving a comment!
      Melissa

3. Emily McKay says:

Hi Melissa! Welcome to the Jaunty Quills!
    It’s funny, I have a love hate relationship with Dear Reader letters. Sometimes I have a lot to say, sometimes, I got nothing. For my february book, I lucked out, because my hero is involved with non-profit, which I made up, but I based it (loosely!) on Water.org, a fantastic group with which Matt Damon is heavily involved. Not that it matters that *he’s* involved. It’s a great group regardless, but, hey, any chance to look at pictures of him, right?
    Anyhoo … that connection gave me something meaningful to write about in the Dear Reader letter. Which made it all kinds of fun!

4. Ann s. says:

I don’t write too many letters anymore, with texting and email. Letter writing is a lost art. I usedt o have pen pals from all over the world, but now I write letters only a couple times a year. I still write to my Aunt and Uncle because that is what I have always done and they write back. I think getting the letter in the mailbox is exciting and writing it is satisfying.

5. Melissa, hi! I can’t wait to read your book! I used to write letters all the time when I was younger one of my favorite letters are the ones I used to write to my grandmother when I was in high school and taking French. Though she’s Italian her mother had been sent to school in Marseilles and had taught my grandma to speak and read in French so she suggested I write her letters in french and she’d respond back. It was such a fun thing to do and helped me learn the language. When she died I wrote a little note to her in french and slipped it into the coffin with her, ma chere grandmere.

6. Hi Melissa – so glad you’re with us today!

I remember the first time I was asked to write a Dear Reader letter – it was awesome! I got to say a few things about the book – things that don’t ever make it into the blurb on the back.

I don’t think I ever get paper letters any more. Birthday and Christmas cards, but that’s about it!

7. My thanks to the Jaunty Quills authors for your warm welcome. I’m so thrilled to be a guest on your blog today.

Katherine Garbera,what a wonderful memory of your grandma. I imagine you’ll treasure those letters from her forever.

Ann S, I totally agree with you about how satisfying and thrilling it is to recieve letters through the mail. It doesn’t happen to me often, but that almost makes it extra special when it does.

Thanks, everyone, for stopping by the blog!

~Melissa

8. Stefanie D says:

I can’t remember the last real letter I had.
    But when I was a kid I had penpals. I remember how I exiting it was to send your letter and to wait for the reply. I was so happy to find a letter to me in the mail box!

9. Rebe says:

I haven’t received any paper letters in years, which makes me sad. Whenever I lived abroad I would always write long letters to friends and family, because I loved to receive them. When I was younger, my Grandmother would write letters as well.

I love getting letters. My grandparents are still alive and they write me letters every month or so. My brother also wrote me a letter recently, and I get lots of thank you letters after we go to a birthday party (which is A LOT).

I use to be the letter writer of the family and all for my husband’s relatives. Except for one uncle, the rest of his family lived in different states. Both his parents were remarried so I was the one to keep everyone in touch. And once our children were born I would send on photos to everyone. It use to take me a month to write all the notes in Christmas cards for friends and family lol. I still have a few of their letters saved but what I cherish the most are the letters my husband wrote me when he was in Vietnam.

12. RobynDeHart RobynDeHart says:

Welcome Melissa, thanks for joining us. I love Harlequin Romantic Suspense – been reading that line since it was Intimate Moments. :smile:

My husband wrote me love letters when we first got married, haven’t gotten one in a while though, but those are always a lovely treat.

13. Cindy Kirk Cindy Kirk says:

Welcome Melissa,

Does getting a card in the mail with a personal message count? I have a friend who will send me cards (when it isn’t even my birthday) with nice heartfelt messages. I love getting them!

Can’t wait to read your book!

14. Cassi Carver says:

I have a bag of letters by my bed that my dad saved for me to read when I was older–a huge bag. When I was very young, I used to write him a letter each day and slip it into his lunchbox before he’d head out to the construction site. I didn’t remember doing that until he pulled out the bag recently and said how much those letters had meant to him over the years. Letters really can make a difference. :smile:

15. Thanks again to Jaunty Quills for hosting me today! I loved hearing about everyone’s special letters. So many people have memories involving grandparents and letters. And Robyn DeHart’s love letters from her husband make me long for one from my hubby.

Thank you all for stopping by the blog. Have a wonderful weekend, everyone!

~Melissa

16. Hi Melissa, so glad you could join us today. One of my most cherished letters I’ve ever received was from my grandma congratulating me on the sale of my first book. She has since passed away, but I keep her letter on the bulletin next to my desk so I can see it every day.

17. Quilt Lady says:

I don’t know if this counts but my best friend I grew up with every year we both send each other birthday cards and we aways fell the card up with things we have going on so I guess its like a short letter. I always look forward to these every year because no one puts pen to paper anymore.

18. Heather E says:

My best friend from junior high (and still to this day my BFF) recently sent me all of the letters we used to mail to each other in high school and college. She wrote an actual letter to go along with all the previous letters that she sent me. I in return, sent her the letters she sent me after I’d re-read them myself. We recently had our 20 year high school reunion, so let me tell you that re-reading all those letters was like going back in time! It was crazy to think that I actually was that young and full on nonsense once upon a time. I don’t remember half the guys we talked about or most of the things we once thought were important! Both married and each with a house full of kids it is hard to find the time to email, let alone send a real letter. But after reading this I think I’ll send her a real honest-to-God letter in the mail with a stamp and everything!

19. Lisa Kessler says:

Great post Melissa!!! :)

The best reader email I’ve gotten so far was on a day when I was feeling down and insecure. A reader wrote to let me know how much my book touched her and that she’d read it three times so far.

Wow. Just what I needed to hear, right when I needed it most… I love when the universe comes together like that! :)

I send notes to everyone who wins a contest or asks for signed goodies, so I mail pretty Amy Brown note cars at least once a week…

Apparently I’m old school! LOL

Congratulations on the new release!

*HUGS*

Lisa :)

20. Mary Galusha says:

I love receiving letters. I’ve saved all my mother-in-law’s Christmas letters. I send out a Christmas letter mostly by email but it consists of a recent photo of the family and a little information.
    My whole family are poor correspondents with bad hand writing.
    Congratulations on your new release, Melissa.