I try not to get hooked on too many TV shows. CASTLE, of course, is on my ‘must watch’ list and I violate my anti-reality TV rule to watch DANCING WITH THE STARS (though I’m rethinking that exception after Sabrina and Louie were booted off so unfairly!) But I’ve just got to share a new series that’s captured my imagination.

It’s called REVOLUTION. Here’s the trailer:

You may recognize Billy Burke, the actor who sleep walked through the role of Charlie in the Twilight movies. He’s totally believable as a sword-wielding action hero in this series. As an added bonus, he’s toting a tortured past. He’s certainly a draw for me, but the premise of the series is what initially caught my attention.

It seems to be rather loosely based on the DIES THE FIRE series of post-apocalyptic novels by SM Stirling. The inciting incident is that something happens to the basic fabric of physics which makes all electricity and combutstion engines stop working. In the books, gunpowder no longer fires, but in the TV series, guns still work. How people react to being thrown back into the technology of the middle ages is weirdly fascinating. And more than a little scary.

Another thing the series hammers home for me is the function of government. Aaron, the computer geek character, complains that they’ve all been tossed back into the school yard and the bullies are in control. Without a viable elected government to enact and enforce fair laws, he’s right. Whoever has the strongest arm rules.

As I write this, I don’t know what the outcome of our election will be. But I do know I’m thankful for our government, even when I disagree with it. Most of the time society works. Without that structure, it takes very little for humans to descend into chaos.

Ok that was all pretty serious sounding. The fact is, Billy Burke is incredibly watchable and I’ve got a new guilty pleasure to give CASTLE a run for his money.

How about you? Do you have a favorite TV show? Have you discovered a new one lately? I’d love to hear about it!

_________________________________________

Mia loves to connect with readers. Visit her at MiaMarlowe.com, Facebook or Twitter!

26 thoughts on “A New Guilty Pleasure

1. Hm…Can’t say that I’ve found anything new to watch this year, Mia. I tried Chicago Fire, but being married to a firefighter…you know. I’ll give your show a try! Because I’m all about guilty pleasures…

1. Mia Marlowe says:

I bet it’s hard for you to watch firemen heroes actually because of the danger. I feel the same about pilots.

2. Kathleen OD says:

Two of my new fav shows this year are Nashville and Chicago Fire..
    But last year I got hooked on Say Yes to the Dress on TLC, and on HGTV, I am hooked on the show The Property Brothers and Kitchen Cousins… Now that I have a PVR on my TV I can just program all these shows and watch them when I want to…

1. Mia Marlowe says:

I’m a total HGTV junkie! Love Property Brothers and Kitchen Cousins. I’ve set our DVR to record them so I can watch one during my lunch break and reward myself after I finish my word count for the day.

I’m like you, Mia, in that I don’t watch much TV. I work until 11 or so at night, so that doesn’t leave me much time. I do like the show Flipping Out on Bravo. I DVR and watch that when I get a minute. Jeff Lewis is a trip.

1. Mia Marlowe says:

Haven’t tried Flipping Out. Is it about house flippers or someone having a psychotic break? (Or are those two things synonymous?)

4. I’m not much for TV, either, although I did catch the first (maybe pilot) episode of Revolution. I thought it was pretty good – loved the concept since I’m a sucker for post-apolyptic themes. I do record The Walking Dead and if I get time, I watch.

1. Mia Marlowe says:

I always ask myself ‘What would I do?’ ‘Where would I go?’ My first instinct would be to start walking across the continent to try to connect with our other daughter and extended family in the Midwest. Just imagine a world where news travels at the speed of a man’s stride…

5. Connie Fischer says:

Nothing new this year that has excited me. I do love Dexter and Mad Men though. Hubby loves Homeland but I just cannot get into it. I guess I’m also a bit confused as to why this fascination with war is so predominant.

1. Mia Marlowe says:

I’ve never tried Dexter. I understand the premise, but I can’t quite get my head around a righteous serial killer. I think I’d like Madmen for the chance to visit the 60′s. I’ve enjoyed a few Vegas episodes for that reason.

6. Spav says:

I’m completely addicted to Once Upon a Time & Person of Interest. They are both amazing!
    I just started watching Homeland, but so far is a bit too dark for me.

1. Mia Marlowe says:

Love Jim Caveziel on Person of Interest, but I have to admit, the Lionel Fusco character has had the strongest growth arc on the series.

7. Sandi in OH says:

I watch NCIS and Major Crimes. That is pretty much it. I’d rather read.

1. Mia Marlowe says:

My DH is addicted to NCIS. I’m sort of over watching Tony enjoy getting Gibbs-smacked. I wish he’d start being his own man. Time to un-beta!

8. I’m addicted to cooking shows. The new season of Top Chef begins tonight. I’m on the last stretch of a heavy deadline, so I’m appreciating the DVR! Someday, when I have a stretch of time, I want to watch Castle from the very beginning. I’ve never seen it, but I’ve heard I should watch it from the beginning for maximum impact.

1. Mia Marlowe says:

Definitely. Get the first season and set aside a weekend. I recommend the same thing for FIREFLY! Nathan Fillion is such fun.

1. I’ve heard so much about FIREFLY, too! Thanks for reminding me. :)

1. MiaMarlowe MiaMarlowe says:

It was a crime against human imagination for FIREFLY to be cancelled after only one season. It was brilliant!

9. Belinda P says:

I like SOA from the first season. I like NCIS too. Grimm and Once Upon a Time is really, really, good.

1. MiaMarlowe MiaMarlowe says:

My #2 Daughter is a big ONCE UPON A TIME fan, along with VAMPIRE DIARIES.

10. I am a HUGE fan of television. I love it almost as much as I love books. There are so many shows that I love but my two new favorites are Emily Owens, MD and Nashville.

1. MiaMarlowe MiaMarlowe says:

I’m a fan of well written TV. All the “reality” stuff is still very much scripted, but without the benefit of writers, it falls pretty flat most of the time. Whoever misbehaves most gets rewarded.

Castle is my one show that I cannot miss. Lately, I’ve been getting away from regular TV. We end up watching a lot of history and discover channels. I stopped taping everything because I was getting this huge pile of shows I had to watch before the next one came on etc. etc. I know I’m missing some good ones but I just got tired of being “hooked” and trying to schedule everything lol.

1. MiaMarlowe MiaMarlowe says:

The nice thing about being able to DVR shows is that we can set up our own schedule. I’m still waiting for enough time to watch my recording of BLOOD DIAMONDS. I’ve seen it before, but it’s a hard movie to watch, so I have to prepare myself for it.

12. Mia –

I started watching REVOLUTION but am afraid to like it too much — most sci-fi series I like get cancelled! Or series with paranormal elements…. like THE EVENT and ALCATRAZ most recently. But, yes, Billy Burke is extremely watchable!

My guilty pleasure….hmmmmmm….The Daily Show and Colbert Report….LOL!

1. MiaMarlowe MiaMarlowe says:

I hear you. If they can dump FIREFLY, anything can happen.