Robyn DeHart
Robyn DeHart

Jaunty Post

There’s a cool thing going on on Facebook right now that started November 1st, no, I’m not talking about NaNoWriMo, I’m talking about how some people took up the challenge to use the month of November to express their gratitude, one day at a time. Some of the people I’m friends with are doing this and I’ve enjoyed seeing their posts everyday so far. It’s a lovely thought and I think in the age of want/need and immediate gratification that thankfulness tends to get lost. So because it’s November and the month of Thanksgiving, then I thought I’d express some of my own gratitudes and allow you to do the same, if you’re so inclined.

These aren’t in any particular order…

*my husband who is my best friend, makes me laugh everyday, understands me in a way that no one else does and is a wonderful father
*my children, my two beautiful little girls have changed my life in so many ways and everyday they challenge me, test me, entertain me and surprise me
*my family, I have the greatest parents ever that have always encouraged me to follow my dreams and they still are cheering me on, and I have siblings and sibling-in-laws and nieces and nephews and they’re all awesome-on-a-stick
*my career, I am so blessed to be able to do what I love as a career, I love story, I love writing, I love sharing my books with readers, just the whole shebang
*my cats, I love my kitties so much, they’re just a special part of our family
*I’m thankful for my beautiful house, my new minivan (that is so cool, it makes me feel like a rock star when I drive it – hey, don’t judge me)
*my God and my spiritual relationship which is very important to me
*RWA and the writing community, I have made the greatest friendships of my life through my writing and for that I will always be grateful
*I’m thankful that I’m healthy and have the capability to be active (though clearly I need to do that more often!)

So how about you? What are you thankful for?

13 thoughts on “Gratitude

1. I too am blessed, Robyn. I am grateful for so much but my husband, kids, parents, sisters and friends top the list. I too love the fact that I am a writer and can spend my time making up stories. I am thankful I am healthy and grateful that my family is too.

2. Chocolate. Oh, and yes, everything on your lovely list, too, Robyn! Plus my pets.

I’m thankful I get to do what I love and for my health and the health of my family.

4. Sandi in OH says:

I am grateful that I got to vote today.

5. Shanah says:

I am grateful I stumbled upon a wonderful online community of writers who help to encourage me, and for my overly understanding family. My kids and my husband have been amazing as I brood over how to launch my writing career.

I am thankful for every new day and a chance to try again and for hope! And of course my family, friends and furbabies and books, books, books!

7. Candis Terry says:

A long time ago my hubby came up with the idea that at the Thanksgiving table we would pass around little pieces of paper on which each person would write one thing they were thankful for. Then we put them in a basket and everyone pulled one out to read. Then we got to guess whose it was. It was a fun idea we still do today. On my daughter’s (who was 4 at the time) she write “I am thankful for cookies.” I second that thanks. :smile:

8. Mia Marlowe Mia Marlowe says:

Grateful people are the happiest people. I’m so thankful for my family, my faith and the two silliest little dogs in the world. They make me laugh everyday.

9. Margo Maguire says:

I’m thankful that my 3 kids live nearby. I have so many friends and relatives whose kids are 100s if not 1000s of miles away. That’s really hard for them!

10. Kathleen OD says:

I am thankful that I have my family and my friends. A roof over my head and food in cupboard. espcially when so many are with out one of all of these necessaties right now..

11. Mozette says:

A great post… I did one on my blog about it once and then meant to do one again the following year about Gratitude and forgot.

What I’m grateful for is my health. My family and friends. I’m born into an age where I have watched the computer age go from the classroom at high school, to the internet at home to the palm of my hand in only 20 short years (and kids today think it’s always been around; how little they know). I’m grateful for gardens everywhere and that we can make one in our own homes; no matter where they are (on a balcony, a stairway or a windowsill… a garden is a garden). And I’m grateful for love and being able to find it again after so long being without a partner or anyone I’m interested in…

most of all, I’m grateful for books. Without them around I’d never be able to escape into other worlds no matter how weird, strange or unreal they may be… for they are my place to go when everything in my own world get a little too much! :D

12. You asked this on the day I celebrated 6 years cancer-free! So that would have to be the biggest thing for which I am THANKFUL!!

1. Mozette says:

I know how you feel Terri. I had a 4.3 Melanoma taken out of the back of my left thigh – along with a massive piece of what they called ‘meat’ with it – in July 1996. It’s been around 17 years and I’m still cancer-free. I’m also what they call a Special Case Cancer Survivor; this is where the cancer was trying to get off me and my body was working hard at pushing it away too, and in my DNA I wasn’t supposed to have gotten it in the first place.

Since then, I’ve never had a BCC taken off, burnt off or cut out; whereas everyone else in my family has. I still get my check-ups and get things looked at if I find something unusual on my skin… but I am grateful as hell to be here to watch my niece grow up. And so is my brother. :D