Cindy Kirk
Cindy Kirk

Jaunty Post

Did you know that while there are 57 Cindy Kirk’s in the United States, there are 297,734 people named Cindy? Have you ever stopped to wonder how many of YOU there are?

I was at a restaurant several years ago and they refused to take my check. The manager told me I was on one of those bad check lists. I knew something had to be wrong. When I did some investigating, I discovered it wasn’t ME who had the bad credit (of course, I already knew that) it was a woman of the same name who lived in a nearby city.

I got it cleared up fairly quickly and easily…thankfully we didn’t have the same middle initial (Thank you, Mom, for giving me an uncommon middle name). I was talking with a woman who I knew through my former day job and she was telling me that her son shares the same exact name (first, middle and last) with another young man AND they share the same exact birthday. Worse yet, they both applied for their SSN around the same time, so the numbers are very similiar. She said it has been a nightmare because unfortunately (and isn’t it always the way) the other guy has been arrested several times and has –you guessed it–BAD CREDIT. The two young men also have insurance through the same company. Almost unbelievable, but true.

Have you ever met someone with the same name? I’ve never met anyone personally, though I have corresponded through email with a couple of women who share my name. :)

This week I’d like to give away a couple books. So everyone who comments on this posts will be entered into the drawing to be held Sunday night at 9pm CT. If you tell me how many of YOU there are, you’ll be entered twice!!

The website I know you’ll like is: http://howmanyofme.com/

Here’s some fun information straight off the site:

There are 310,139,582 people in the United States of America. If everyone in the U.S. lined up single file, the line would stretch around the Earth almost 7 times. That’s a lot of people.

The U.S. Census Bureau statistics tell us that there are at least 151,671 different last names and 5,163 different first names in common use in the United States. Some names are more common than others.

There are 44,844 people named John Smith in the United States. There are 975 people named James Bond, 103 people named Harry Potter , 437 people named George Bush, and 31 people named Emily Dickinson. However, Johnny Cash (33 people) songs aside there are, statistically speaking, very few boys named Sue.

What about you? How many people share your name?

I’d like to know!!

35 thoughts on “How Many of YOU are there?

1. Connie Fischer says:

Hi, Cindy! How freaky to have someone question your check as you have the same name as a bad check writer. It’s rather embarrassing too. Glad you cleared it up.

I checked the site you mentioned and found that 84 people in the US have my name. I’ve met other Connie’s before but none with my full name. Oh, and it is legally Connie. My Mom said that Constance was too big of a name to give a little baby. (Thanks, Mom! I’m glad you didn’t name me Constance.) My sister calls me Constance just to bug me. (Do siblings ever stop teasing each other?) Oh yes, I have met a man with the name Connie and we have a US senator from Florida named Connie.

I’m going to keep an eye on this post to see the comments. Should be some good ones!

Connie,

I like Connie so much for than Constance…Constance sounds a little stuffy (sort of like Cynthia) :)

1. Connie Fischer says:

Yeah! I’m with you! :smile:

2. Mozette says:

I went to school with 4 Lynda’s… two were spelled my way and two were spelled with an ‘i’. We all knew of each other; but only three of us were fast friends.

Then, one day, the Guidance Officer got muddled up and made appointments with all of us Lynda/Linda’s in the same lunch hour…. WOAH!… what a big mistake that was. I’ll never forget it! He came out of his office with his clipboard in his hand and he looked up and said, “Um… Lynda…?” all 4 of us turned and said in unison, “Yes?” He nearly laid an egg! :lol: Then, the cogs turned quickly and he stammered out, “How about we go by last names!” and then he muttered, ‘I’ll never do that again!’

Mozette,

That is toooo funny!

3. Karin Anderson says:

There are 107 people with the name Karin Anderson, 37,756 with the first name Karin and 889,210 with the last name Anderson. I never would have thought Karin would be that popular.

Karin,

I never thought it’d be that popular either. I had a friend whose last name was Anderson. When I said, well at least you never have to spell it…she said she was always asked…”is that “-en” or “-on”? lol

4. Diane P. Diamond says:

There are 564,768 people in the USA with the name of Diane, and 24,330 people with the last name of Diamond.

In total, there are only 44 people who share my name of Diane Diamond. :razz: I’m surprised at that low number for my complete name.

Thanks for such a fun contest. :cool:

Diane,

Only forty four isn’t much at all. There obviously aren’t that many “diamonds” lying around. (sorry, couldn’t resist lol)

5. Shannon says:

1,076 with both first and last. 1,001,056 with my last name. I should have kept my maiden name…

1. Cindy Kirk Cindy Kirk says:

OMG, Shannon. Over a million with your last name???? WOW!

There are 171,476 with my first name, Jeanne. There are 1,689 with my last name Sheats. And there is only one named Jeanne Sheats – how cool is that lol.

catslady,

I could have told you…you are unique!!

7. CateS says:

It said “one or fewer”… but trust me, every where I go, they want to know if I’m related to the local Sparks family… and we’re not…
    When I entered the local junior high school as a 7th grader, turned out that there were 2 Cathy/Kathy Ann/Anne Miller/Miller… I went to one grade school and she went to the other.. It’s been so long, I don’t remember if we had the same ‘real’ first name, but we both did go by C/Kathy.. She got a lot better grades than I… So when I left for college, I started going by Kate… but at one of my last jobs, because my email was csparks [married]… everyone started spelling it with a C than a K… So now when I go back to my home town, I answer to Cathy Miller, Kate Sparks..and ‘hey you — which one of the Miller girls are you?’..
    And actually, there must have been about 30 or so of us Miller kids at the high school when I was attending.. One of the elective classes… the teacher just finally started saying “Are all the Millers here?”

8. Cindy Kirk Cindy Kirk says:

Cate,

That is soooo funny. I’m sure it could be annoying to be one of the “Miller girls” but it seems very cool to me.

9. Very interesting post. As of now there are 27 people in the US with my exact name. 234,402 in the my first name and 36,489 with my last name.

Danielle,

27 isn’t too many…considering how many people there are in this country!!

10. Kathryn in Montreal says:

Well my married name is Kathryn Weaver and I have a sister-in-law whose name is also Kathryn Weaver. I married her brother Brian and she had a short-lived marriage to another Brian… so there were two Kath and Brian couples in the same family for a short period of time…

And I’ve always liked the name Cynthia… not a stuffy name at all!

Kathryn,

My father would agree with you…he loved the name Cynthia.

I cannot imagine having two Kath and Brian couples in one family…even for a short while!

There’s no one else with my first and last name.

1. Cindy Kirk Cindy Kirk says:

It appears you’re simply one of a kind. :lol:

12. Barbara Elness says:

There is one person in the US with my name – me! 1,541,722 have my first name and 160 have my last name, but there’s only one with my name. So it looks like I don’t have to worry about getting mixed up with anyone else. :D

Barbara,

Another one of a kind! At least you’ll never have to worry about getting mistaken for someone else. There’s only one you! :grin:

13. Kirsten says:

1 or fewer people share my full name. I’m feeling pretty unique now ;) Will not be having those kind of problems then.

And there are 28,317 people in the U.S. with the same first name. Not too bad really :D

Kirsten,

You’re the third person on a row who are the one and only person with their name!! Woo-hoo! :grin:

14. Janie McGaugh says:

I checked, and there’s only one (or fewer) of me! I did have several mixups in college, though, with a student who had the same last name and Jane as her first name. Our birthdates were very close, too.

Janie,

I guess better a fellow college student than someone with bad credit. lol

15. LilMissMolly says:

I’m one of a kind. :)

Molly,

Woo-hoo, this blog is full of one of a kinders!

16. Tori says:

There is only one person in the US with my name and there are 222 people in the U.S. with the last name Elmgren. I’m not sure if that’s a good thing or a bad thing… I kind of like the idea of having someone else to blame when I mess up. ;)

Tori,

No one else to blame….you’re one of a kind!

17. Lorelei says:

What an interesting post, Cindy! There are 4,720 Lorelei’s in the US, and it seems that there’s only me with first and last name. Neat! Thanks for sharing!

18. Cindy Kirk Cindy Kirk says:

Lorelei,

Congrats on being another “one and only!”

I agree with you…that website is great fun. :grin:

19. Shanah says:

There’s only one of me named Shanah Wooldrage…there are fewer than 1574 with the first name Shanah, maybe less, the little blurb said.
    And fewer than 117 people with the last name Wooldrage.
    Thanks for the website. I am going to keep that for research purposes. I love names!

20. Cindy Kirk Cindy Kirk says:

Shanah,

You’re definitely one of a kind!

I’m glad you enjoyed the website. I think it’s pretty cool, too. :grin: