Other than research books and few (very few) general fiction books, I tend to read a very narrow swath within the romance genre — and historicals are my most favorite reads. Not surprisingly, I tend to read lots and lots of Regency romances and a few medievals thrown in.  When I began writing, I also began reading books that authors I knew or met had written – expanding my horizons into different subgenres. But, when all was said and done, I always return to those historicals-my comfort reads.

book cover of The Dark One  (Wild Wulfs of London, book 1)byRonda Thompson

Kiss of Midnight

I’ve always claimed — righteously, I might add — that I don’t like vampires or werewolves or shapeshifters. Then some of my friends began writing them and I tried them. You might know some of them — Kerrelyn Sparks’ LOVE AT STAKE series, Lara Adrian’s MIDNIGHT BREED series, Lynn Viehl’s DARKYN series, and Gena Showalter’s LORDS OF THE UNDERWORLD series? The late Ronda Thompson wrote a wonderful werewolf series that combined the Wild Wulfs of London and the Regency time period — loved those!

Kiss of Fire

Dragon Bound

Then, darn her, one of my favorite historical authors – Claire Delacroix – reinvented herself several times and moved from historical romances t0 contemporaries and then into paranormals with her Dragonfire series of shapeshifting dragons who defend humans against a terrible foe.  If that wasn’t bad enough, just recently one of the romance readers’ groups I visit introduced me to Thea Harrison’s Elder Races series in which humans coexist with all manner of paranormal creatures.

Everytime I turn around, I seem to be finding more romances that I never expected to like.

How about you? Do you read in a narrow or wide swath? Romance-only or more than that? Have you ever tried reading something waaaay out of your comfort zone – how did that go for you? Let me know what book really worked for you or maybe what TYPE of book didn’t and I’ll pick out a couple of commentors to receive a copy of one of my books – print or digital (if available)!

Terri is finally back on East Coast time and heading out for the Novelists’ Inc. conference this weekend for a bit of professional networking and schmoozing in White Plains NY.  And she has some cool news to share — but not quite yet! LOL! Visit her website for more info about upcoming releases and news!

17 thoughts on “Liking Books In Spite of Myself. . .

1. I confess I rarely read paranormals…Laura Wright is the exception. But I tend to read a lot of historicals and contemporaries, as well as a good deal of women’s fiction. I’m more likely to pick up a book about realistic situations than something really over the top. But it always depends!

2. I’m a contemporary reader all the way. I’ve been tempted be a few historicals of lateand enjoyed, but there’s the old “so many books, so little time” problem that I tend to stick to what I know I will like.

3. Paranormal really isn’t my thing. However, I’ve discovered I love “magical realism” a la Sarah Addison Allen. Mostly, I read contemporary romance and women’s fiction.

I love historicals and contemps and YA. I’m not a big paranormal fan, either, but I am reading a YA with paranormal elements right now that I really like.

5. Connie Fischer says:

I love regency (historical) and contemporary romance novels the best. I can honestly say that I’m not really into paranormal novels but I know they are really popular. I did read a novel some years ago about a guy who turned into a werewolf but somehow he was “cured” by finding his “original biter” and putting a stake in his heart. (I hope I’m remembering/expressing this correctly.) I was taken with the love between the “cured” werewolf and his girlfriend who was never bitten. Whew! What a mouthful!

I also enjoy nonfiction and especially biographies. I have read as many biographies of the royal family as I can get my hands on. I’m a true Royalist!

6. I actually just started reading contemporaries and I love them. For years I stayed away from them but now I can’t get enough. So now I read historical, paranormal and contemporary.

Historicals are my favorite but I am pretty open about trying all kinds of genres and in most cases have enjoyed them. So far there is one genre that I haven’t really been able to get into and that is Inspirationals. I’ve probably only read 3 or 4 but I didn’t care much for them and haven’t tried any in a while.

8. Sandi in OH says:

I read just about everything from biographies, contemporary,
    suspense, mystery, some paranormal. I haven’t tried inspirationals yet.

I read a lot of different genres.

10. Kathleen O says:

I read contemporary mostly, but I also have some great historical writers i like to read as well as some paranormals and some erotica…

11. chey says:

I read many genres.

12. Quilt Lady says:

I read mostly romance and women’s fiction. Historical and contemporary. Not much on paranormal but will read one every now and then just for a change.

13. Ann s. says:

I read almost anything with a little romance. I go in reading jags of contemporary, then historical, then paranormal, you get the picture. I recently read a YA novel by Kresly Cole, Poison Princess, I wasn’t sure at first, but it was well written and now I can’t wait for the sequel. Sometimes experimenting works and other times not so great.

14. Barbara Elness says:

I read a pretty wide swatch, from paranormal and urban fantasy to science fiction romance, steampunk, contemporary and historical romance. The one genre I don’t generally have much interest in is romantic suspense – I don’t mind suspense in a story, but I don’t like it to be the main focus.

15. Stefanie D says:

I love both historical and paranormal romances. And sometimes I read a little suspense.
    What I don’t read is sci-fi, that just isn’t my thing.

16. Chelsea B. says:

I’m into all things romance– Paranormal, historical, contemporary, YA– but I did try something that was a little outside by zone a few months ago, which was The Hunger Games series. They were completely addictiing, and I finished the three books in six days. Honestly, that week is a blur. And while I absolutely enjoyed my time in that world, the next day when I picked up a romance, my heart totally warmed and I had a new appreciation for romance novles. Next I’m going to give horror a go :mrgreen:

17. Janie McGaugh says:

I mostly read paranormal and historical romance (preferably Regency and Scottish). I’ll occasionally read a regular contemporary, and I used to read a lot of science fiction.