The Guardian (guardian.co.uk) recently had an article about the six songs that define us and our life.  For me music is a huge a part of everyday life.  When I was growing up we always had music on in the house and in the car.  At my parents’ house it was country music especially John Denver, at my grandparents’ house it was Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin.  In my own house I always have some kind of music playing.  So here are the six songs that define my life:

1.) What was the first song you ever bought?
Start-Me Up by the Rolling Stones, it was a 45 and technically half of it belonged to my younger sister Donna.

2.) What song always gets you dancing?

Sexy Back by Justine Timberlake.  I can’t sit still when that song comes on and neither can my kids we dance all over the living room to it.

3.) What song takes you back to your childhood?

Take Me Home, Country Roads.  I also always remember my mom and dad singing along to it and kind of looking at each other with love while they sang it.

4.) What is your perfect love song?

Baby Now That I Found You by Alison Krauss

5.) What song would you want at your funeral?

My Way by Frank Sinatra

6.)Time for the encore, one last song that makes you, you.

Brown Eyed Girl by Van Morrison…I have brown eyes :).  When I was younger my parents used to play Kathy’s Clown for me on New Year’s Eve but that isn’t me.

What songs define you?  I’m giving away a $5 Amazon Gift Card to one lucky blog participant today!

15 thoughts on “Six Songs

1. Wow this is seriously going to make me have to think. =)

1.) What was the first song you ever bought?
    I don’t remember the first song but I do remember the first tape I ever bought, New Kids on the Block Hangin’ Tough.

2.) What song always gets you dancing?
    Could You Be Love by Bob Marley

3.) What song takes you back to your childhood?
    Motownphilly by Boyz II Men. My friends and I would sing this song constantly.

4.) What is your perfect love song?
    I Only Have Eyes for You by The Flamingos

5.) What song would you want at your funeral?
    Nearer My God to Thee but it has to be the version from the Titanic soundtrack.

6.)Time for the encore, one last song that makes you, you.
    Good Vibrations by the Beach Boys.

Oh, my gosh! These are great! Is it bad if right now all I can think of are kids songs?

3. Melody May says:

1. The first song I bought was Ace of Base on cassette tape I Saw the Sign.
    2. Anything with a good beat. I love dancing to Usher.
    3. Juke Box in My Mind, my dad loves country , so there is a little space for the older stuff.
    4. Favorite love song is a tough one, because there are some many good love songs Tim McGraw “Don’t Take the Girl”
    5. The Funeral song would be… Not sure. Good question.probably something bubbly. Something that would remind me of them and that’s not going to male them sad.
    6. I think it depends on my mood. Happy cheer I would go to Train “Hey Soul Sister”, sad I would go Maroon 5 “Payphone” and I could go on forever I just love music.

4. Sandi in OH says:

1. I can’t remember the first song that I bought.
    2. I will dance to anything.
    3. I was born in the mid-40′s. My favorite first song was Button and Bows which I think was an Oscar winner.
    4 I love to many songs to have a favorite.
    5. Don’t have one.
    6. Moon River

5. eap says:

Perfect love song: The First Time I saw your Face by Roberta Flack.

6. Kathleen O says:

1. I think the first record I can remember buying was My Song by Elton John.
    2. I’m So Excited by The Pointer Sisters.
    3. Song that takes me back to my childhood was Sunshine Lolipops.
    4. Fav song.. this one is just too hard. But I would say Because you Loved Me, by Celine Dion
    5. If I can Dream, by Elvis..
    6. Trouble by Elvis.. Because when people see me coming, espeically my brother, I have heard.. Here comes Trouble.

7. diane says:

1. The first song I bought was Blue Suede Shoes.
    2. I love dancing to You are on my mind.
    3. My favorite first song is Blue Moon.
    4. A favorite is anything my Celine Dion
    5. Don’t have one.
    6. Hallelujah by Leonard Cohen.

8. 1. First record bought: I Will Follow Him by “Little” Peggy March. My dad thought the world was coming to an end when that record came into the house.
    2. Song that gets me dancing? There are too many to name! Motown never fails. Michael Jackson.
    3. Back to my childhood? Leslie Gore, John Denver, Gordon Lightfoot, The Beatles…
    4. Love song: Something (Beatles)
    5. Bye-bye Baby, Baby Goodbye (4 Seasons)
    6. I Hope You Dance (LeeAnn Womack)

I really love a variety of music. All but maybe heavy rap or heavy metal. I probably started out with Elvis and The Beatles and Sound of Music lol. I probably heard the most music in the 70′s because we had at least an hour each way of commuting to our jobs. Then I got away from it when I had kids in the early 80′s but then I learned to like boy groups with my daughter – N’Sync especially lol. But I love country, classical, opera – almost everything. Never my Love by The Association is our song for over 40 yrs and it’s cool that they still play it on the radio sometimes.

10. Chelsea B. says:

1.) What was the first song you ever bought?
    Oops I Did It Again by Britney Spears.

2.) What song always gets you dancing?

Dynamite by Taio Cruz.

3.) What song takes you back to your childhood?

Standing on a Mountain… I’m not sure who it’s by, but my nana and I sang it all the time in the car :-)

4.) What is your perfect love song?

I’m Yours by Jason Mraz.

5.) What song would you want at your funeral?

None. I don’t want a funeral.

6.)Time for the encore, one last song that makes you, you.

Just the Way I am by Skye Sweeten.

1) My heart will go on by Celine Dion
    2) Call me maybe
    3) any Britney Spears song
    4) any Celine Dion song
    5) don’t know
    6) Katy Perry’s Firework

12. Love all the songs you guys mentioned. Really enjoyed reading everyone’s choices…Shana, when my kids were young all I knew were kid songs! I’ll announce the winner on Sunday.

13. Kirsten says:

1. I haven’t got a clue…
    2. You Make Me Happy – Lindsey Ray
    3. Conga Beat – Gloria Estefan
    4. Collide – Howie Day
    5. Haven’t thought of it yet…
    6. A Love Song For No One – John Mayer

:grin:

14. Laurie G says:

1)What was the first song you ever bought?

MEET THE BEATLES album

2.) What song always gets you dancing?

Caribbean Queen by Billy Ocean

3.) What song takes you back to your childhood?

The Hollies- Carrie Anne

4.) What is your perfect love song? I can’t pick only one.

True Companion- Marc Cohn

Somewhere- West Side Story

Have I Told You Lately That I Love You- Van Morrison

How Can I Tell You- Cat Stevens

5.) What song would you want at your funeral?

Rob Thomas- Now Comes the Night

6.)Time for the encore, one last song that makes you, you.

Layla – Eric Clapton