I don’t know about where you live, but in Nebraska it has been HOT (and humid) this summer. So hot that unless you go for a walk at 6:30 in the morning, forget going later. But for the past few days we’ve been having a cool spell and it’s been, well, like Fall has arrived early. Unfortunately the forecasters are saying the heat will return very, very soon and won’t leave us again until October.
This is another time that I hope they’ve gotten it wrong.
Anyway, with it being so hot this summer, I’ve begun to long for Fall. Autumn is one of my favorite seasons. Actually, I’d enjoy it a whole lot more if I knew that Winter didn’t follow it. Of course, last Winter was wonderful with nary a snowflake in sight. Can we say…global warming?
Anyway, as you know each Jaunty has been bringing back an old favorite post this month. I was looking through the ones I’d written and this one jumped out at me. It was written last September, but even though I’m rushing the season even more this year (since it’s only August now), I thought it was appropriate. Just so you know, the prize offered for your top 5 list is something I added…
Okay, so I may be getting a little ahead of myself, but surely I’m not the only one who considers Fall to start on September 1. While I realize the season doesn’t officially begin until September 21, I’m going to jump the gun and talk about the Top 5 Things I Like Most about Fall.
To tie it into books and writing…whenever I have a book that takes place during the Fall, I always look to see what kind of activities and events are happening in the area where the book is set. In my book that is on the shelves now, If The Ring Fits (September 2011), I went to the Jackson Hole Events Calendar to see what events I could have my characters attend that would be true to the area.
At this time of year in Jackson Hole, people go to the Jackson Hole Fall Arts Festival in Jackson. So, guess where my characters went? Yep, to the Fall Arts Festival (and they had a great time!)
Anyway, back to the post and my Top 5 Things I Like About Fall:
1. The cool weather. Note: I said “cool” NOT cold. What’s not to like about weather in the 50′s, 60′s and 70′s? As long as I don’t have to wear my heavy wool coat with mittans and a scarf, I’m happy!
2. Autumn leaves. There’s nothing more beautiful than when the trees change colors…and bushes, too!
3. College Football. Need I say more? Oh, yeah, GO HUSKERS!
4. Pumpkins and gourds on the porch. It doesn’t even need to be Halloween to put these out…though I think it needs to be at least October 1. Sort of like not wearing white shoes before Memorial Day.
5. Hot Apple Cider (with a cinnamon stick, of course) or a Pumpkin Spice latte. Yum…..
Tell me the top five things YOU like about Fall and you’ll be entered into a drawing to win one of the books I picked up at the Romance Writers of America’s National Conference in Anaheim last month. The winner will be posted by 2pm on Sunday!
So, check back then to see if you’re a winner!