Elise Rome

Elise Rome

This month the Jaunty Quills are posting our favorite blogs from the past. I’ve been a member of the JQs since October, so I don’t have *too* many posts to pick from, but this one is definitely my favorite. If you remember seeing it recently, don’t mind me–just enjoy the eye candy. ;)

I have a confession to make: I, Elise Rome, am in love with Great Britain. And I am not ashamed.

When I first learned that Katherine Garbera lives in England, I was beyond jealous.

Confession: I still am.

It’s not that I don’t enjoy living in America.

It’s just that, well… British people have British accents. I know some people like French accents, some Arabic, some Australian, some Latin and so on, but I for one tend to get weak-kneed when I hear a man with a British accent.

Confession: After I graduated high school I was working as a cashier in a supermarket. One day, a man (early 20s, perhaps, modestly attractive) came through my line. I was not affected in the least–he was just another customer in my mind. But then he spoke in a British accent, and you should have seen how red my face turned. I’m sure I stammered, too. Suddenly this mortal man turned to a god in my eyes, simply because of the way he spoke.

I blame this man for making my insides turn to goo whenever I hear a British accent:

(If you have not seen Eliot Cowan play Darcy in Lost in Austen, I beg thee– Go. Watch. Now.)

And this one:

(Likewise, if you have not seen Richard Armitage in the BBC miniseries North and South, do so immediately. You will understand everything when you hear the voice.)

Sadly, although Mr. Rome earnestly tries to imitate a British accent, it never works. It somehow always comes out as something closer to an Australian accent.

Confession: I think Hugh Jackman is a lovely man. Chris Hemsworth, too. They both have lovely, broad-as-the-sky shoulders. And yet, because they both have Australian accents rather than British ones, neither affects me as much as this man:

It’s true. (And Hugh Grant cheated on Elizabeth Hurley with a hooker! Who does that?)

Fortunately, Mr. Rome still loves me even though he knows how much I go ga-ga over British men. I know he loves me because he’s agreed to going to England for a future anniversary rather than Italy, which was his first choice. (I have not, as of yet, convinced him to actually move to England… “Think of the castles! The history! The…sheep?”)

By itself, you might think that my love for British accents would be an innocent thing. Not so.

It’s convinced me that all British humor is witty, it would be culturally superior of me to drive on the left side of the road rather than the right, there’s nothing wrong with eating a dessert called “spotted dick”, and that British television shows and movies are generally better than the ones produced in America (Downton Abbey, Sherlock, anyone?).

There may be one saving grace for me despite this obsession, however… Ireland is right next door, and I also love Irish accents. I guess I’ll just have to divide my time between the two. :)

9 thoughts on “Best of Elise’s Blogs…Confessions of a British-accent-ophile

Ha! Love this post. I even remember it :smile: I saw a picture of an Anglophile Club at a high school one of the American Olympic swimmers attends. I think some of us need to join that club.

1. Elise Rome says:

Lol, I agree, Shana! There was a news story the other night on Americans who are in love with all things Brits. Unfortunately, I missed it. I feel like I was the target crowd for that one. =)

2. Connie Fischer says:

Somehow, I knew you were my long, long twin (even though I’m a gazillion years older than you). :-)

I feel the same way about the British and the U.K. I’ve been a Royalist for as long as I can remember. I followed Princess Diana from the minute she came on the scene until the sad day she left us. I read every biography that is published about the Royal family. I do believe I could almost be called an expert! :-)

When I lived in Paris and got over to London, I would load my car with every British novel I could stuff in there. British chicklit is fabulous and a huge favorite of mine. You really get a flavor of life in the U.K. when you read them.

My husband and I watch every Acorn Media DVD we can get our hands on. The mystery shows and comedy shows are the best! Don’t forget Downton Abbey, The Tudors and The Borgais.

I was lucky enough to visit London several times and we had meetings in Bath and Bristol. I want to branch out and see all of the U.K. Scotland and Ireland are calling to me too. Oh, my Bucket List runneth over!

Sigh! You found my soft spot today! Thanks for posting your love of everything British.

1. Elise Rome says:

Hi Connie! I’ve always wanted a long lost twin! ;) I have several British chicklit books in my TBR–including some from Fiona Harper and Jill Mansell. And I have no idea why I haven’t gotten around to them yet, as I’ve heard they’re fabulous! I think Marian Keyes is Irish, but I loved the one book I read by her years ago (that a friend highly recommended). It was the one about the heroine being in an addiction recovery facility, and it was fantastic. One day I think we need to have a romance readers/authors convention in the UK. Now THAT would be my cup of tea. ;)

3. Cindy Kirk Cindy Kirk says:

I’m with you, Elise….I think British and Irish accents are oh-so-sexy!

1. Elise Rome says:

I think I need my very own Jonathan Rhys Meyers. Someone who can do both. ;)

4. CateS says:

That Mr. Rome is a really nice guy… and tell him that the pubs serve great beer!

1. Elise Rome says:

Lol. Will do, Cate. And yes, he is. =D

5. Melody May says:

I loved this blog too. I love British accents and Irish ones too. I think of Collin Farrell. Love his accent. :smile: