The annual Romance Writers of America conference kicks off next Wednesday with a fabulous (and gigantic) book signing that benefits literacy. After a whirlwind of workshops, luncheons, and parties, the conference will conclude on Saturday night with an awards ceremony honoring the best unpublished and published romance novels with the Golden Heart and Rita awards.
I was wondering… how much you know about the history of the Rita award? Answer the following questions and post them to the blog, and I’ll draw a winner from those who have the most correct answers.
1. What was the original name of the RWA contest that “recognizes outstanding published romance novels and novellas”?
2. What year was it first awarded?
3. How many categories did it first have that first year?
4. How many categories does the Rita have this year?
5. What year did the contest’s name change to the Rita Award?
6. For whom is the Rita Award named?
7. What significant honor is bestowed upon authors who win three RITA Awards in a specific Rita category?
Leave your answers below, and I’ll post a winner soon.