I’m a quote collector. I love stumbling across a quip or a pondering that strikes a chord.  It probably started back when I was a kid and my mother – trying to help me loosen my mind-grip on whatever was troubling me – offered the Prayer of Serenity. Now, I have the saying taped to my computer and refer to it when I’m struggling with something I have no control over. Sometimes it’s my saving grace.

Another of my favorite quote comes from the philosopher Voltaire: “Perfect is the enemy of very good.” It serves as a gentle reminder when I’m having trouble letting go of something … say, a book I’m writing… because it’s not quite there yet…. Sometimes I want to stop – or worse yet, not even start- because I can’t get it as perfect as I think it should be. Then I remember, it will never be perfect, because nothing is perfect. Perfect is, indeed, the enemy of very good.

Jordana Fortune, the heroine of my latest book, FORTUNE’S UNEXPECTED GROOM – book five in Harlequin’s latest Fortune’s of Texas series, would’ve benefitted from Voltaire’s little ditty. In her quest for perfection – being the perfect daughter; cultivating the perfect life; finding perfect love– she almost misses out on “living” altogether.  That is, until fate blows her right into the arms of Tanner Redmond and turns her entire belief system upside down.

Along their journey, Tanner and Jordana realize that the most perfect kind of love is imperfect; it encourages a person to be herself and knows that even on those very human bad days there’s a safe haven in the forgiveness of unconditional love… which reminds me of another favorite quote from Marilyn Monroe: “I’m selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control, and at times hard to handle. But if you can’t handle me at my worst, you sure don’t deserve me at my best.”

Those are words we can all remember when we’re feeling less than perfect.

Do you have a favorite quote? If so, please share it with us. Each person who comments will be entered in a drawing to win a copy of FORTUNE’S UNEXPECTED GROOM.

**************************************************************************************

Be sure to check out all six books in the newest Fortunes of Texas: Whirlwind Romance series

Available Now:

FORTUNE’S CINDERELLA – by Karen Templeton

FORTUNE’S VALENTINE BRIDE – by Marie Ferrarella

MENDOZA’S MIRACLE – by Judy Duarte

FORTUNE’S HERO – by Susan Crosby

FORTUNE’S UNEXPECTED GROOM – by Nancy Robards Thompson

Coming in June 2012

FORTUNE’S PERFECT MATCH – by Allison Leigh

26 thoughts on “May I Quote You?

1. I have lots of favorite quotes but the one I’m staring at right now is “Nothing happens unless first a dream.” by Carl Sandburg

My favorite writing quote is “A writer is someone for whom writing is harder than it is for other people.”

3. My favorite quote is “Magic is believing in yourself. If you can do that, you can make anything happen.” ~ Goethe

4. Kathryn in Montreal says:

I have a few quotes that I like:

“If at first you don’t succeed, then skydiving is not your sport”
    One of my favourite Chinese proverbs: “There are many paths to the top of the mountain, but the view is always the same”.
    “Remember that personality can open many doors, but only character and integrity will keep them open”.
    And one to live by: “The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything, they make the best of everything they have”.

5. Rebe says:

I think Kathryn in Montreal’s quote about skydiving is hilarious! Here’s my favorite: “Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” Mark Twain

6. Kathleen O says:

I have a couple of quotes or sayings as the case may be..
    ” I have PMS and a GUN…any questions” and
    “When God made Man, She was only kidding”….

7. “Nothing happens unless first a dream.” So true! I love this, Kathy!

8. Shana, that really sums it up, doesn’t it?? :)

9. What a beautiful thought, Jan! That one is a keeper!

10. Kathryn in Montreal: Those are all great…from the funny to the profound. Thank you for sharing!

11. Rebe: I love Mark Twain! I could fill a file with great quotes from him alone. Another of his that I love is: “Do something every day that you don’t want to do; this is the golden rule for acquiring the habit of doing your duty without pain.”

12. Kathleen O : Haha! Thank you for the laugh! :D

13. Fran says:

Carpe Diem is my fav

14. Sandi in OH says:

My grandmother had a lot of sayings: You always find what you are looking for at the place you look. The older you get the faster Christmases come. The only one who can make you look bad is you.

15. Fran, that’s a classic! It really says it all, doesn’t it?

16. Sandi in OH, your grandmother sounds like a wise lady! I think her saying, “The only one who can make you look bad is you” could be the companion quote to “No one can make you feel guilty/inferior without your permission.”

John Maxwell- If you aren’t making any mistakes, it’s a sure sign you’re playing it too safe.

18. Congratulations on your new release, Nancy! It sounds fabulous, and what a lovely cover. I adore that Voltaire quote you mentioned in your post; I think I need to tape it to my computer monitor for daily reference, as I can spend far too long trying to get a sentence or paragraph just right. Argh!

19. StacieD says:

A quote that always makes me laugh but is very wise is one by the actor, Kevin Bacon. When asked how his marriage has survived in Hollywood for so long, he said the following:

“We keep the fights clean and the sex dirty.”

20. RobynDeHart RobynDeHart says:

I love quotes too. Here are my favorites:

“What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail?” Dr. Robert Schueller

“What lies before us and what lies behind us are tiny matter compared to what lies within us.” Emerson

“Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you’ve imagined.” Thoreau

21. bn100, that a great one!

22. Thanks so much, Catherine! The Voltaire quote is a great reminder!

23. StacieD, Hahahaahaaa! I love that! :D

24. Shannon says:

I have lots of favorite quotes but here are two:
    Trust the rabbit’s foot if you wish, but remember it didn’t work for the rabbit.
    I know God wouldn’t give me more than I can handle; I just wish he didn’t trust me so much. ~ Mother Teresa

25. Those are all fabulous quotes, Robyn! I am particularly partial to the one by Thoreau!

26. Shannon, the Mother Teresa quote really rings true!