Janette Kenny

Janette Kenny

I attended the RT Booklovers convention in Chicago this past week, along with fellow Quills, Shane Galen and Emily McKay.  The five-day convention is hectic and professional with over a hundred workshops and reader events hosted by authors and industry professionals from all genres.  Aspiring authors can sign up for private chats and pitches with editors and agents. Plus there are fun gatherings and parties every night for all to attend.  Many, like myself and friends, decided to spend quality downtime in the bar at night, giving us time to chat, unwind and regroup.

It was a hectic, fantastic week that thrilled and exhausted me.  I started my professional stint with the Western Reader workshop where all the western authors participating gave out totes to everyone attending.  We had cover models on hand and line dancing, gave out grand prizes and had a great time overall.  I met new readers while reuniting with dear ones, and gave away notepads, pens, trading cards and books.  Nothing was left after the event but smiles.

My second big event was the Harlequin Power and Passion series reader event where everyone attending received bags of goodies and books.  Games were played with the winners getting bags of books.  Authors schmoozed and signed autographs with readers, booksellers and librarians from around the world.  Again, I gave away notepads and more books.   Harlequin had this poster of my latest book printed for the event and for me to keep.  Lovely.

The week ended on Saturday with the Giant Book signing that is also open to the public.  Imagine a ballroom filled with tables of authors and thousands of readers and fans streaming by.  The noise level is intense while readers scramble to get autographs from favorite authors.  Cover models strolled among them for photo opportunities as well.

I came home with tired feet and fond memories.  Many readers faithfully attend this convention every year, and we get new readers from every place the convention is held.  Next year RT Convention will be at the Sheraton Crown Center in Kansas City.

So what about you?  Have you attended this or another writing convention before? Think about coming, even if it’s just to the public book signing.  I’ll be there!

10 thoughts on “Highlights from RT Book Lovers Convention

1. Dani D says:

It was great to see you again!!!

2. Like all of us, I always love meeting the readers…it’s such a thrill and honor to meet someone who’s read one of our books. And even if they haven’t read mine in particular, I love talking to people about what they’re reading and who their favorite authors are. Like minds and all that!

3. Jennean Reed says:

I try and always attend your book signings locally and will try and come to the one in September at Crown Center KC, I love your books Janette especially the romantic western ones.

4. Emily McKay says:

I had a great time at RT! It was so much fun meeting Jan (can you believe we’d never met?). It’s so much fun meeting readers!

5. RobynDeHart RobynDeHart says:

RT is a great and fun and exhausting conference. I was sad to miss it this year. I got to live vicariously by enjoying everyone’s tweets from the action. Getting to meet readers is always a treat. Those of us who read and write romance are very passionate about the books we love and getting to hang out with other people who feel the same way we do about these books, it’s just magical.

Glad you had a great time, Jan.

6. Kathleen O says:

I have never attended one of these events. But it is on my to do list. I would have loved to get to this one, as Chicogo is one of the places I have wanted to visit. I could have killed two birds with one stone, met a lot of my fav authors and see the sites of Chicago at the same time..
    Oh well maybe next year and a new place I want to viist..

7. Great post, Jan! Sounds like you had a terrific time; I’m glad! I attended one RT Convention, back in 2005, when my first paperback was published. I haven’t been since, but I’m sure I will attend again one day.

It was so great to see you and Emily! I love catching up in person (and over tofu breakfast tacos).

9. Dani, it was great seeing you again. Last time was Chicago as well. :)

I’m always awed when a reader gushes over one of my books, Kristan. But it’s nice just to mingle with such voracious readers too as I’m still in that camp as well. ‘

Jennean, the RT at Crown Center will be next May, not September. I’ll send out reminders then. Thanks for all the support too. You’re a fabulous friend. :)

Emily, I thought we met briefly in Orlando? Maybe not, but it was great to see you and share a readers event together as well.

I so agree, Robyn. Hopefully you can make the next one in KC.

You’ll have loads of memories to last after attending one, Kathleen.

Catherine it would be great if you could make in next year. Hint, hint. ;)

Shana, it was great getting together with you again at RT for breakfast. Always nice to have that one on one girltalk.

10. Elise Rome says:

I wasn’t able to go this year, but I’m definitely putting RT on my calendar for next year! The only conference I’ve been to before was last year’s national RWA conference in NYC, and I had a blast. Looks like you had a great time, Jan! =)