CatherineKean

Catherine Kean, Jaunty Post

My husband and teenage daughter are flying to England in June for a three week vacation.  Alas, I can’t go with them this year—I’m staying home to look after the house and kitties–but I shall enjoy their photos when they get home and the stories they’ll share in the meantime via email and phone calls.

They have already put together a list of places they want to see, including the London museums, the Peak District, and several castles.  Since my daughter wants to have a career in art and design, and has talked about attending a London college, I expect they’ll visit a few and see what degree programs are offered.

My husband is looking forward to drinking some “real” English beer, and my daughter’s already craving scones with clotted cream.  It sounds like they have a grand holiday ahead.

Just for fun…  If you could travel anywhere in the world this summer on an all-expenses-paid trip(!), where would you go?  What sites in particular would be on your “must see” list?

25 thoughts on “Summer Traveling

1. I would go to Paris (still haven’t made it there!) I’d see the Louvre and then go to Versailles. Plus just eat as much as I could every day. :)

1. Kathy, what a great choice! Paris is such a romantic city (I went 20 years ago during Spring Break) and the food… Yum!

2. Sandi in OH says:

My trip is very plain. I would love to go to Fresno CA. I was born there and brought back to Ohio six months later. I would love to see the air base where my dad was stationed during WWII, the park my parents would walk me to, the house if it is still standing. We were suppose to go last year but the gas prices were too high. We can’t go this year for the same reason. We pull a 5th wheel RV so we only get 8 miles to the gallon.

1. Hi, Sandi! :) Aww, what a great trip you have in mind! I hope you are able to go sometime soon. Maybe next summer.

3. kris says:

I’ve traveled extensively for work and make it a point to always visit at least one historical place or must-see spot wherever I am. I still would like to visit Italy and Australia.

1. Hi, Kris! How wonderful that you get to travel so much for work. Italy and Australia are both on my “must visit” list, too.

4. Wait a sec…you’ll be ALONE for three weeks? I’m coming over. Actually, my family and I are taking a trip to Glacier National Park this summer, and I can’t think of anywhere I’d rather go. After that, I wouldn’t mind seeing the Oregon coast. Never have been there…

1. Hey, Kristan! Yup, I will be all alone. Well, not entirely alone, since I have two lovebug kitties to take care of. But yes, no family around, so I hope to have some solid writing time and accomplish a few other creative projects. You want to come over? Sure! :) I hope you and your family have fun at Glacier National Park.

Kristan, I’ve been to Glacier National Park. It’s really beautiful. And Catherine, I wouldn’t mind tagging along with your husband and daughter. Their trip sounds fabulous.

1. Hi, Shana! :) I know, the trip to England does sound fabulous, doesn’t it? Maybe we Jaunty Quills gals need to do a getaway to the UK sometime. :)

6. CateS says:

Wait!! Wait!! I want to go with your family… back to England…. are they going to Highclere? Checking out the Royal Residences?

1. Hi, CateS! :) I’d offer to let you stow away in my husband or daughter’s suitcase, but I don’t think there will be any spare room. :) Not sure if they’ll get to Highclere (I’d love to visit this!)or the Royal Residences, but those are great suggestions if they have time.

7. Wow – a choice of anywhere? I’m paralyzed by TOO MANY!
    The English Lake District (did you call it the Peaks?) is fabulous. I could easily stay there for a couple of weeks. But I think Paris would be it. I know just where I’d stay, and I’d spend a lot of time in the cafes just people-watching and drinking coffee.

1. Margo, the Lake District is a little piece of heaven, isn’t it? Soooo beautiful. I completely understand your love of Paris, too. Great choices.

I’m with Margo, there are just so many places I’d like to see. On my list of haven’t been – Australia, Scotland, Africa, Egypt, Sicily and on and on and on…

1. Hi, Catslady! Ooohhh! What a great “must see” list!

9. First, I’d go to Paris with Kathy! Then I’d see if she wanted to take a side trip to Tuscany. Then I’d go home with her to the UK and see the sights. Would you care for a house guest, Kathy?

1. Nancy, I KNEW Paris would be on your list! :) I hope you and Kathy get to take that trip you proposed; I’ll bet you’d have a fabulous time (and would come home with mega cool souvenirs and awesome new shoes!).

10. Brenda C. says:

My daughter and I are going to England this June, too! We are just sticking to London (and one day trip to Stonehenge and Bath) but are so excited! We are the nerdy book reader/writers in the family and want to see all the literary things that the rest of the family gag over! :)

1. Hi, Brenda C! I hope you and your daughter have a fabulous trip! Stonehenge and Bath are definitely worth seeing, and London… Well, there’s something awe-inspiring to see on every street. :)

11. Kathleen O says:

I would go to Europe, and just have a ball… Seeing all those wonderful places I have read about or saw in the movies and on TV.. Everytime i watch Under the Tuscan Sun, I so so want to be there…

1. Hi, Kathleen O! I’d love to see Tuscany, too. I hope you get to go there one day. :)

12. Lexi says:

I have always wanted to try scones with clotted cream. Sounds like they have the important stuff figured out! Europe would be a great place to visit, but I would pick to go to Norway.

1. Hello, Lexi! :) Scones and clotted cream are phenomenal! Truly, one of my favorites! Norway would be a fascinating place to visit.

13. Anyone who comes for a UK visit is definitely welcome as a houseguest at Chez Kathy ;) I’ve got my bag packed, Nancy!