Last week I happened on an article that pared down the top five things men, and women, spend their money on. They neatly avoided mentioning the necessities in life such as house payments/rent, food, utilities, etc.
The focus was on how men and women wish to spend their hard earned cash. It should come as no shocker that the sexes don’t have the same wants save one similarity. After all isn’t it well known that men and women argue over how the other wastes money?
Here’s the top five for women. After looking at my spending habits the past year, I hit every one of these.
1) Shopping. I’m a professed gatherer (note that is not the same as my mother’s hoarding.) Finding good deals is a hobby of mine and to my way of thinking that makes me fairly savvy handling money. Plus shopping for sales is just plain fun.
2) Beauty. I’m not big on make up or following the latest fashions, but I don’t want to look dated either. I do spend money to nourish and tone my skin. As for clothes, I try to strike a balance between what’s in style and classic.
3) Health and Fitness. I do eat healthy and good foods costs more. Though I don’t belong to a gym, I own equipment and exercise daily.
4) Love/Online Dating. Raising hand here to being one of those women who spent money on online dating and/or a guy. Since my online “dates” didn’t pan out, it could be argued I wasted money. I’ll also admit that I am one of those women who like buying things for my guy.
5) Home Furnishings. It gives me pleasure to enjoy the furniture and other niceties I’ve bought for my home. I’m also one of those who “saves up” for those big projects, like a total remodeling of the family room and kitchen.
So what do guys spend money on? Take a look at their top five.
1. Investments. Guys typically funnel their money into stocks/bonds, property or art.
2. Entertainment. A guy and his amazing stereo system, big screen TV or movie room. Need we say more?
3. On Women/Love/Online Dating. The only common spending habits for the sexes is online, which tells me they do want/need us. They’ll also spend a whole lot more on dinner out than I would.
4. Hobbies and Sports. Guys might be the hunters of the species, but they can and do obsess about their collections. As for sports–take a guy to Cabela’s or Dick’s and watch them drool.
5. Betting and Gambling Guys like to wager. It’s an adrenaline rush to push the odds and win.
What about you and your guy? How does your spending habits stack up against the top five for both sexes?