Jaunty Guest

Fun, Jaunty Guests, Jaunty Post

Comment for a chance to win SAPPHIRE AND DIAMOND EARRINGS

Last June my son, Travis, or Son One as I call him (some of you might remember him as RT’s Mr. Romance runner-up from a few years back–tee hee–you cannot imagine how fun it is to tease him about that) got married to a gorgeous young woman from Cameroon. Gorgeous young woman, as it happens, has an equally gorgeous son, who I will hereby refer to Grandson One or G-1. Anywhoo, a few months ago I pried my wallet open and took G-1 to see Untangled. You know the film-spunky heroine, sexy hero, opinionated horse, lots of hair. It was a fun flick and just about right for a six year old…or a romance writer…since it was basically a love story.

So after the credits were rolling away and the popcorn salt had been licked from every finger I turned to G-1 and asked what his favorite part of the movie was. Now remember…he’s a boy…he’s six…he’s being raised by macho 6’3” Son One. So what do you think his answer was? Anybody? No?

Well I’ll tell you…he didn’t pause, didn’t bat an eyelash, didn’t take time to breathe. He just said, “When they kissed.” Huh? I did a double take, did another take, then stared at him agog, because when he asked what my favorite part was I had to tell him the truth; It was when spunky heroine hit sexy hero with the frying pan…which by the by was quite often. I don’t know if you remember the film, but sexy hero spent about half the movie catatonic and I was more thrilled each time cast iron met skull.

So (note clever segue here) when I began writing Uncorked, my 7th Chrissy McMullen mystery, I wasn’t exactly sure how to begin. I mean, Chrissy is one of my favorite people in the entire solar system and she really deserves to be happy. She really deserves to be happy with the guy who makes her crazy…Lieutenant Jack Rivera. But where’s the fun in that? I mean…you can’t start out all cozy right? Where you gonna go from there?

With that thought in mind, I opened the book with a knock down drag out fight. In fact, in chapter one, Chrissy’s dating another guy. Granted, she can rarely remember Other Guy’s name when Rivera is within shouting distance, but she assures the good lieutenant that‘s she‘s crazy about…about…what’s his face. It made for tons of sexual tension. And if there’s anything I like better than seeing a guy hit in the head with a frying pan, it’s sexual tension.

So what about you? What’s your favorite part of a romance, the fighting or the flirting? Or do you need both to make it work?

To celebrate the online release of Uncorked, my 7th Chrissy McMullen novel, I’m giving away a pair of sapphire and diamond earrings to one much appreciated commenter.

Visit Lois’s website for news and information on her newest release, and a chance to win an Amazon gift card and be sure to check out Uncorked! You can follow Lois on Facebook and keep track of the Chrissy McMullen series here. Follow LoisGreiman on Twitter, too!

39 thoughts on “A Visit From Lois Greiman

1. Linda Henderson says:

I love that movie. I like the skillet part too, but my favorite parts have the horse in them. He has such attitude. I like the fighting and the flirting. Every relationship has some fighting in it or elso why would it be such fun to make up.

2. Jane says:

I like the flirting. It’s the journey to the HEA that I love the best and sometimes that does include a little fighting.

3. I have to say I like them both–the fighting and the flirting. I think the more natural conflict between the hero and heroine, the better the flirting is and the better the romance.

4. Quilt Lady says:

I really like both myself! The flirting and fighting is what bring together HEA

5. Lois Greiman says:

Okay, so I see the jaunty quills people don’t sleep.

Hi. Thanks for having me here. It’s so nice to be with people who value the happily ever after.

I’m going running with my son right after I feed the horses (it’s 8 degrees here in balmy MN) but I’ll be back soon.

6. I love the bantering and sexual tension, and if it’s done with a bit of humor then all the better. Uncorked sounds great — definitely am ordering it. Thanks for joining the Quills today!

7. Lois Greiman says:

Thanks so much, Janette. Hope you enjoy!!

8. I haven’t seen Untangled yet but I’ve heard great things about it.

I love a couple who battle with their wits and words…not evil, downgrading spars but sharp clever conversations.

Love the sound of the opening of Uncorked. That’s exactly what I’m talking about.

I was at the 2006 RT and remember your son…WHAT a cutie!!!

9. I love fighting! (Just blogged about that, actually…). But I also love awkward flirting. Congratulations on the book and the gorgeous offspring and his progeny, Lois! You go, girl!

10. Sandi in OH says:

I enjoy watching the transformation when a couple start out not liking each other and ends up loving each other. There is arguing and flirting involved.

11. I loved Untangled! The push/pull between the hero and heroine was tres amusing, so I’m definitely looking forward to Uncorked! Thanks for blogging with us today!

12. CateS says:

Guess I’m going to have to go find a small child and go see Untangled.. You sound like a fun grandmother! What an awesome prize…

13. Kathryn in Montreal says:

I like both… and I think Stephanie Plum and Joe Morelli are a fantastic example of fighting and flirting done well… I especially liked when she ran him over with the car.

14. Ellie says:

Definitely the flirting especially when it is smart and witty. Best wishes and much success.

You know, I have to say I like the fighting. It’s fun to watch and to write, and it makes the kiss all the more worthwhile. I liked the frying pan part too, by the way!

16. Lois Greiman says:

When I sent Uncorked off to my editor at Random House she said I was an evil genius for breaking Rivera and Chrissy up pre-book. :) I like to think I learned something from the Moonlighting series. The anticipation is important.

17. Liz says:

Sorry, but never enjoy fighting–particularly with skillets. But I never enjoyed slap stick humor either.

18. Lois Greiman says:

Liz, I don’t like slapstick either. And in real life I tend to be very non-confrontational. But in fiction…give me a nice skillet. :)

19. Aww, sweet boy, and hey, excellent segue!! It’s a great story. Thanks for sharing it.

That’s going to be some lucky girl who meets up with G-1 when he’s older lol. I like a little of everything blended well. Too much of any one emotion and I think I’d get either bored or frustrated.

21. Molly says:

I watched Tangled twice yesterday! An almost-two year old girl picked it out in the morning, and her 9 year old sister picked it out after school. (I babysit on Mondays.) My favorite part is when Rapunzel’s hair is finally cut; all that hair would be a hassle! I get annoyed when my hair gets caught in my armpit; I couldn’t imagine tripping over it all day.

I like flirting more than fighting, but anything with humor is fine by me.

22. I have to agree with the other commenters – the flirting and the fighting are the best parts!

23. Lois Greiman says:

Molly, I physically winced at the ‘hair caught in armpit’ image. Been a while since my hair’s been that long I guess.

24. runner10 says:

I like the combination of fighting and flirting that leads to a happy ending.

25. Lois Greiman says:

I don’t think that cute meet thing ever goes out of style. Love it.

26. RobynDeHart RobynDeHart says:

Welcome Lois, thanks for joining us.

I like both, but I’d say I like a mixture of both. That fine art of banter where they’re playfully flirting and fighting at the same time.

27. StacieD says:

I love the bickering between the hero and heroine. I think it creates sparks. I like to see their arguments boil over into a romantic encounter.

28. Lois Greiman says:

Thanks Robyn, so nice to join your beautiful blog.

29. Lois Greiman says:

Kathyrn mentioned Janet E’s books and how she loved it when Stephanie ran Morelli over with her car. :) Ahhh, I couldn’t agree more…good times.

30. Barbara Elness says:

I love both parts, the fighting and the flirting. Especially when the heroine is spunky and feisty and gives as good as she gets.

31. Lois Greiman says:

Yes to spunky heroines. I know that some people are complaining about Heigle (spelling?) playing the spunky Stephanie Plum, but from what I’ve seen, she looks good.

I was recently told that the movie script for my Chrissy novels is complete. I can’t even imagine how I would react if someone actually picked it up and chose an actress to play her. Surreal.

32. chey says:

I like the flirting and the arguing.

33. Lois Greiman says:

That’s excellent. I think really great characters can manage to flirt and argue at the same time.

34. Cute story. I like that Untangled is such a great movie for all ages and genders. I love lots of action that may include fighting, and flirting.

35. Kathleen says:

I like a little bit of both.. There can be scenes when the hero and heroine are running through the jungle, and they are fighting about how they are going to get out of there and the next moment, something can happen where a look or gesture can be taken as flirting…

36. Lexi says:

How cute! My daughter LOVES the Tangeled movie so I have seen it multiple times. I love the lantern scene, so romantic…gazing into each others eyes and realizing what they have just found. Perfect romance!

37. Laurie G says:

A book needs that spark of chemistry between the H/H…. Whether it comes from fighting, flirting or loving there has to be a connection that ignites!

38. Lois Greiman says:

I think you nailed it Laurie. Chemistry is everything. It’s funny how you can watch a movie with two fantastic hot actors that have good dialogue but it just doesn’t work between them.

39. Cathy P says:

I enjoy the flirting and the fighting in romance novels. After all, it is normal to argue and then make up. Of course, the making up is the best part.