A few weeks ago, a blogger asked the Jaunty Quills to participate in an event where authors shared a favorite book they were reading. I wanted to participate in the worst way, but I’d just finished a deadline for a Special Edition continuity, which went quickly into edits and by the time I contacted the blogger, the calendar for that event was full.  I was so disappointed because I happened to be reading UNTIL THERE WAS YOU, by our very own Kristan Higgins, and I was looking forward to dishing about this book because it’s so darn wonderful!

Kristan first hooked me with her Rita winner CATCH OF THE DAY. That was shortly before we became Jaunty Quill sisters. Since then, I’ve devoured every single one of her books. Needless to say, I was counting the days until I could get my hands on UNTIL THERE WAS YOU.

What a treat! In vintage Kristan style, she had me laughing out loud, rooting for quirky, loveable Cordelia “Posey” Osterhagen and drooling over misunderstood bad boy Liam Murphy. I’m a sucker for a reunion story – especially when it goes to the tune of girl falls for boy, boy barely realizes girl exists; boy and girl grow into man and woman and finally get it right.   However, even after widowed father Liam brings his teenage daughter home to the town where he grew up, he and Posey still have a lot of baggage to unload and roadblocks to break through…baggage in the form of a terrible misunderstanding at the prom that left Posey brokenhearted and roadblocks in the form of Posey’s buxom, quasi-celebrity cousin who always seems to be in the way.

It makes me smile even thinking about  the book.  It also has me thinking… We all have at least one “Liam” lurking in our past (even if it didn’t lead to a happily ever after).  Tell me about your “Liam.” Did you ever see him again? Did it end up working out or did it remain a case of unrequited love/lust?  I will choose one lucky winner from those who post to receive a copy of Kristan’s UNTIL THERE WAS YOU so you, too, can get lost in this fabulous book.

30 thoughts on “The One That Got Away…or did he?

1. Thank you so much, Nancy! I’m thrilled you liked the book. Alas, I don’t have a Liam in my past, though there were those friends who said he rather reminded them of McIrish, my sainted husband…we do have a 15 year old girl, and he is a tad overprotective, as most good fathers are. ;-)

2. I’ll agree that our Kristan is awesome. This one is on my TBR pile.

3. Laurie G says:

The summer between my Freshman and Sophomore years of HS, I served punch at a classmate’s older sister’s wedding reception. I met the older brother, Mark, of another classmate. He smiled, talked, asked me to dance and drove me home. He was handsome, smart and attended college in Boston. He wore cowboy boots and had the perfect smile. He kissed me good night and said he would call. Of course, I waited and waited. Guess he thought I was too young. I still think fondly of that night. I sometimes wonder…What if???

4. anne says:

Yes, there was the special one whom I met during my 20th summer at a resort. Charming, sweet and intelligent. We corresponded since it was way back and he visited. he was smitten and I was enchanted. yes, it was forevermore.

5. Cindy Kirk Cindy Kirk says:

I don’t have a Liam, but we have a new neighbor “Posey” and when my husband asked me…”Did you ever hear of such a name?” I said–thinking of Kristan’s book–”Well, yes, I have.” lol

6. Laurie G, love your story, and I love how you write your own happy ending with your “What ifs…”!

7. Anne, your story made me sigh! I’m glad you got your happily ever after.

8. Quilt Lady says:

Oh I would love to read this book. I love Kristen’s books she is an awesome writer.

9. Kristan, my husband is one of those overprotective sorts, too! Haha! Every girl deserves a daddy who loves her that much!
    And, Kristan, did you realize Posey had moved into Cindy’s neighborhood? Cindy, please tell Liam hello, from all of us… and Posey, too! ;-)

Jan and Quilt Lady, it really is a fabulous book. You’re sure to love it. :)

10. So, I have a “Liam” story of my own. In high school, I had a mad crush on a bad boy. Right before spring break, I got up the nerve to ask him the Sadie Hawkins dance. He said YES and he even suggested we should go to the beach over the break! I was ecstatic. I bought a new bathing suit and waited by the phone, but he never called. When we got back to school, he put a note in my locker bowing out of the dance, too. I was crushed. Flash forward about six years later. I ran into him and the tables had turned. He asked me out on a date. I went, but it was one of the most boring nights of my life. He asked me out again and I politely declined. The spell was broken. Doesn’t seem fair to put the cads and duds in the same category as Liam, since he is truly a good guy.

Oh, yes, my “Liam”! I had the most enormous crush on David Wald in 7th and 8th grade. Sadly, he moved away, and I’ve never seen him again.

12. Monikarw says:

I’ve heard nothing but great things about this book! I must read it! Ashley March said she love it, best book she read this year and now Nancy too! I’m buying it asap!;) Thanks for sharing Nancy! I do love a reunion story too!:)

13. Na S. says:

I love, love stories about second chances and reunions. I like to see people grow, learn from their mistakes or simply find love. A second chance for some means a re-do of one love and for others if they’re lucky it means they find love twice. I think partly because I wish I had a second chance myself, therefore I turn to these stories which makes me believe and root them on. I’m okay though if that chance doesn’t come, there might be another.

14. Monikarw says:

Sorry, Almost forgot. My ‘Liam’: my godmother’s son, Gabriel! I think I’ve talked about him before! He was the ultimate bad boy when he was like 16 (I was 10) adored him ’cause he always found time to play with me and such! As we grew up when I was 16 a clumsy, shy teenager, he always had a kind word for me! Melted my teenage heart! Now that we’re both grown ups I see him every now and then at partys and stuff! ..I still fell weak in the knees everytime and he’s stilll very nice to me! But he will always be ‘the one who got away’ he got engaged last month and I actually like his fianceé a lot!:) so is all good! I think.

15. cheryl c. says:

I dated my “Liam” all through college. When we approached graduation, we knew that decisions about our future had to be made. We mutually came to the same conclusion that we just couldn’t see ourselves being together in the future. He was the bad boy and I was the good girl, which was fun in college. When you have to go out in the real world,though,you need someone who wants the same things you do. It was painful, but we both knew it was the right decision. I only saw him once after graduation. I am happily married, but I do sometimes think of him and wonder what he is doing now.

16. Monikarw, what a sweet story!

17. Na S., I agree completely! Reunion stories are among my favorites for the same reasons you gave. :)

18. cheryl c., that had to be one on the hardest decisions ever. But it sounds like by ending that relationship you opened yourself up to meet your true prince. :)

19. Aretha zhen says:

I like the reunion type of story. This kind of story makes one realize how far we have changed from time to time. Love that used to be one precious thing suddenly turn into a bitter relationship. It is true sometimes we have to walk away to make us realize which is important and which is not important. Me n my Liam met when I was in high school and he was a law student. Our story is not gonna going anywhere since he already married someone else. Thx to share the beautiful story:)

20. Thanks for the love, gang! I feel so special today, thanks to sweet Nancy! You know, there was a bad boy in our neighborhood, and I was utterly terrified of him…he was a few years older, and I dared not even glance in his direction. The Fates got him, though…he’s the father of three girls!

21. Molly says:

There was a boy I had a crush on and asked to prom, but he said no. Living in a small rural town (pop. 1,100), I have seen him lots of times after that. I’m over him, but I still feel like a silly teenager every time I see him.

22. Barbara Elness says:

I have a man that I had a long term relationship with, but broke up, went back together several times and finally he met someone else during one of the break ups, and ended up getting married and having a couple of kids. We always kept in touch, he wasn’t happy, but wouldn’t leave because of the kids. Finally, 20 years later, he divorced and we could be dating again, both a lot older and wiser, except I’ve moved to the other side of the country. :cry: We’ve visited, but I guess it still isn’t the right time for anything more.

23. eli yanti says:

ouch.. how to win this book because it’s just a great book :smile:

24. Kathryn in Montreal says:

I had a crush on a bad boy… Alan Jones… Alan was an oddity up here in Montreal in that he was a surfer dude. He was blond and had a lean, strong physique and he hung around the pool I lifeguarded at. I was too shy and nothing ever happened, but boy did I wish… and wish. He ended up dropping out of school and eventually disappeared, but every now and then I wonder about him.

25. Such great storied everyone! Thank you for posting!

26. Congratulations to….(drum roll, please…)Monikarw! You are the winner of a copy of Kristan Higgins’s book UNTIL THERE WAS YOU. Please email me your snail mail address and I will send your copy right out. :grin:

27. An email address would probably help, wouldn’t it, Monikarw? Please send your info to nrobardsthompson@yahoo.com

28. Monikarw says:

Thank you Nancy! For the book and the email address! LOL ;D

29. Cathy P says:

My Liam was a man that was 7 years older than me, and I met him my first day in college. We developed a friendship and started a relationship that ended when I saw him at the library with another girl. I was head over heels in love with him and it took me quite a while to get on with my life. Several months before my husband and I married, he came over to my house one day. He asked for another chance, said he had never forgotten me, and wanted me to marry him. Of course, it was too late by then. I often wonder what happened to him to this day.

kscathy at yahoo dot com