KathrynSmith

Jaunty Post, Kathryn Smith, Uncategorized

Last night my husband and I went out to dinner to celebrate an anniversary. When I told him we needed to go out, he said, “Why?” To which I replied, “It’s November 17th.” That was all that needed to be said. He chuckled, and pretended not to know what I was talking about, but it was obvious he did.

You see, on November 17th, 1995 we had our first date.

We were thrown together by mutual friends based on the fact that both Steve and I liked comic books. I suppose it was as good a base as any. The first time we met I thought he sounded like John Lovitz (He does a great impression), and was not terribly impressed. Imagine my disappointment — I had seen a photo of him a year earlier and thought he was cute, only to find out he was married (he married quite young). When I discovered he had gotten a divorce and was coming to visit this friend, I was a little eager to see if he lived up to expectations. Physically he did, but that VOICE! lol.

Needless to say I eventually heard him speak in his own voice, which turned out to be surprisingly pleasing. I asked him out — he was only newly single, after all — and he said yes. He was late and I had decided to engage in experimental cooking, so it’s a miracle we ever made it to date #2. However, when he left later that evening, he gave me a kiss good night. As I watched him walk down the street my heart was in my throat. I knew right then and there that he was him — the guy I was going to end up with. Of course I didn’t tell him that. lol.

You know, later on we discovered that his divorce had been finalized two days before that first date. I’d like to take this occasion to thank his ex for being such a cow that I looked like a princess by comparison.

So, every year we do something to mark the date. Sometimes I think we put more effort into that anniversary than the one that marks our wedding day. And you know what? I think I like the look of him even more now than I did back then. And yes, I still engage in experimental cooking, and his impressions are a hit at parties. I’m extremely lucky to have found not only a great husband, but a best friend as well.

Now I’ll stop bragging and start the conversation. :-) Are there any special milestones or anniversaries that you and your significant other celebrate? Or maybe you have something in your family or with an old friend instead? Spill!

9 thoughts on “I’ve Grown Accustomed to His Face

1. Oh, Kate! Such a romantic story! Since I’ve seen you and your honey together, I can say that it’s nice to see a couple still so in love after a nice long time. I have a mild crush on your hubby too…occupational hazard, I think, always noticing the good guys. As for anniversaries, McIrish and I got married on the first anniversary of our first date, so that makes it easy for us both to remember. ;-)

2. I am not that good with anniversaries — but sometimes, my husband will say something like – Hey, it’s early December, didn’t we first meet around then? We had our first actual date the day after Christmas, so that’s easy to remember.

That’s so romantic, Kate! USF and I should do that. I think we met on Sharie Kohler’s birthday, so that should be easier to remember.

Early on we celebrated when we had our first date – Nov. 16 (hmmm that just passed lol) and we got engaged on my birthday (Nov. 29) so that was easy but it’s been so long now that we just celebrate our wedding anniversary on June 21. It’s been 41 l/2 years – yikes.

5. Jeanne Miro says:

Kate –

You and your husband have a great story and it’s great to have a “special day” to remember.

My husband and my special day is April 3th. Before I met him he had joined the Navy and his first day of active duty was his birthday April 4th. While he was in the service during Vietnam we married and he finished his duty on April 3rd!

On that day he sent me a single yellow rose at work with a card that said “One and only rose for your one and only last day of work”. He ended up joining the Reserves a few years later and ending up retiring from the Reserves with 20 years on April 3rd!

Over 40 years later every year on April 3rd he sends me a single rose at work but we decided that sometimes reality really is more wonderful than fairy tales.

1. KathrynSmith says:

Thanks, ladies! I love hearing your stories as well. Kristan, your post made me smile. I’m looking forward to the day I meet your fab hubby and can return the compliment. ;-)

Also, sorry to be so late chiming in today. I got a much needed massage and am trying to clean house for company arriving tomorrow. Yikes!

6. RobynDeHart RobynDeHart says:

So sweet and romantic, Kate. The Professor and I always celebrate our engage-aversary …the day he asked me to marry him. It’s always a wonderfully romantic day for both of us.

7. EmilyMcKay says:

That was such a charming and romantic story, Kate! You should be a … no, I’m not even going to cheapen it with a joke.
    Very sweet!

8. Kate, that is such a lovely story. A real romance! I met my husband on a blind date arranged by his brother and my mother so I expected nothing but – wow!