KathrynSmith

Kathryn Smith, Uncategorized, Writers and Writing

I haven’t been around much. I wish I could say it was because I was running around Europe having a grand ole time, but it’s not. It’s because I’m on deadline with a book due Nov 1. It’s the second in my YA Steampunk series and it’s giving me a hard time. Plus, I’ve been sick as a dog, which has slowed me down. So, now have to accept that the book won’t be as polished as I like when I turn it in — unless I’m late.

Here’s the thing. I don’t like to be late, even if it means the book will be better. The hubby and I are often late to gatherings because we have to drive almost half an hour to get to most of our friends’ homes. It drives me nuts every time.

Thankfully, writers have the revision process to help ease this feeling of  ‘Oh no, I just turned in a crap book’. I don’t really think the book is garbage, it’s just not going to have the atmosphere I want it to have. I tend to vomit the book onto the page, laying the ground work and plot down fairly thickly and precisely. The stuff that I come back to do once that foundation is laid is mostly setting, ambiance, and making sure I don’t have six characters with spastic eyebrows, gazing at each too often.

Still, even though I know the plot will be strong when I pass this book in (and plot is one of the most important aspects), I wish the rest of of it could be as firm. Meanwhile, my darling hubby is concerned about me pushing myself too hard since I’m still under the weather (I’m one of those people who gets sick in stages, so it can take me a couple of weeks to get over a simple cold). But, the book has to be written. I gave my word that it would be done on time, and I really, really, really hate going back on my word.

So, as I crawl back under my rock and attempt to meet my page count — while battling a head cold — I ask that you all forgive my low profile. I promise I’ll be more attentive after Nov 1.  I will also go one step further and ask you to indulge me. Do you hate to be late? Or maybe there’s something else that drives you nuts? Maybe you have a code to which you hold yourself but not necessarily others?

8 thoughts on “In Which an Absentee Jaunty Apologizes

1. Andrea says:

I hate to be late, too, Kate. It messes my “system”. LOL I hope you feel better soon!! (((hugs)))

2. Yep, hate being late! Good luck with the manuscript…I’m sure you’re your own worst critic, and it’s going to be another fantastic story. My kids and I eagerly await the release of the first book this spring!

I can’t stand being late. I get so stressed if I even *think* I’ll be late. Hang in there, Kate. I hope you feel better soon.

4. Margo Maguire says:

Not fond of being late – and I absolutely despise having to push a book out when i don’t feel it’s ready. Fortunately – you’re right – authors get another crack at it (like twice more!) to fix things we don’t like. And sometimes it’s good to get our editors’ input at this stage – so that when we go back and work on it, we’ve got some outside insight.

5. Rainy says:

Sure, I hate to be late….that being said, I’m usually late. I always seem to be two beats behind. The only way I cannot be late is to get somewhere extra early. Go figure.
    I agree with the tsk tsk’ers out there that it’s a bad habit, especially when if it involves someone else waiting for me.
    However, when it comes to writing something with a looming deadline, it seems to spike my adrenaline and it works for me. But you’re right, it’s the polishing stuff that is a slower, time-consuming event.
    Kathryn, if you’re sick, you have a good reason to delay the deadline and shouldn’t feel guilty.

6. I hate being late, too! I always try to add five minutes onto the time I think it will take me to get to an appointment, so I don’t have to be rushed. Feel better soon, Kathryn, and best of luck wrapping up the book. I’ll bet it’s fabulous and your editor will love it.

7. Gail C. says:

Being late stresses me out to no end. I feel so bad when I make people wait for me.

Hope you feel better soon and I’m sure the book will be fab!

I take after my dad. Not only was he never late, he was always early. It’s very stressful when you are around people that are always late lol.